1985 VF750F - never ending evolution

greatwhite

Good luck.

Hmmm, does that have a hint of skepticism in it?

Or maybe ominous overtones trying to fortell of long nights of frustrating work and endless outflow of cah?

It's not like I'm going somewhere where no man has gone before with the 600RR swingarm and unit prolink:

800-467408_honda_vf1000f-2ashx.jpg

800-467407_honda_vf1000f-1ashx.jpg

800-467406_honda_vf1000f-3ashx.jpg

Sure, it's a streetfighter. But it's also a vF1000F and that's a cbr600RR swingarm on there so it's do-able. Only thin I could find was a web site from The Netherlands and it seemed like a bit of shaving slotted a 2004 arm right in there. Something like 15MM and 7MM... a pic from his build thread:

achterkant3.jpg

I'm sure it's little bit more involved than that, but I don't speak dutch either so who knows for sure until I get in there.....

Another conversion lurking around out there in the netherlands:

02072010235.jpg

Crazy damned dutch.......

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well maybe you can find a clean '83 & leave it stock after this one is done...

Why not go single sided arm?

Stock exhaust sucks no matter how new it is, fix your Hindle or find a kerker

Well maybe you can find a clean '83 & leave it stock after this one is done...

Why not go single sided arm?

Stock exhaust sucks no matter how new it is, fix your Hindle or find a kerker

Thought about a single, too hard to come buy and the cost was much higher. It's also kind of "played out" IMHO. Kind of like Lamborghini doors on cars; first couple were cool and a triumph of fabrication, then it became average to see one and eventually.....cliche.

The unit pro link is a neat setup I'd like to try and has a few interesting advantages in the design outside of the obvious "beef". Even if everyone jumps on he band wagon, it will still look like a beefed up normal swingarm so no "oh look, another sss conversion".

Sss or 600rr both increase weight so it's a draw there. The cbr unit also looks a bit more "racey" to my old eyes. But that's a beauty in the eye of the beholder thing.

I prefer the stock exhaust myself. Sounds nice and clean. Looks great too. I might had stayed with it if I could have gotten an new lh muff. It will go up into the storage space for maybe another day. I'll do something with the hindle or maybe weld up my own system for now.

That 'fightered 1000F looks interesting.

Sure does. The paint is hit and miss for me. Very nice application on the tank and the red striped black rims are pretty boss (yes, I'm an old fart!), but the side cover is just not quiet there. I'm not a fan of his headlight cover either....

Last time I checked his thead he had a cbr900 front end on it (seems it pretty much bolted on with using a gsxr top triple) and was putting the vf1000f tank, rads and fairing back on:

E321A407-51CA-47BD-A16E-12811336D38C-683-000001AE3E10CFE4.jpg

Something about it running hot without the double rads and also not enough wind protection for his liking. At least that's what I could figure from that forum and using babel fish....

So, here I am racking my brain thinking about how to retain my speedo and install a cbr front rim so I can use the SP1 brake rotors.

I could do a complete front end swap, but oh boy is that gonna get expensive and I still won't have a speedo drive.

A special bracket and a sprocket drive for the speedo is a possibility (more so now that seb and the bunch are looking at building one), but there's more price involved there also.

EBC makes a 320mm full floating rotor conversion for the F2 wheels, but you're into a large cash injection here also.

Then it hits me:

iphone.

I've got all manner of apps loaded up on the iphone that do gps (tom tom) speed, altitude, lean angle etc, etc that hangs off my windshield in the truck. The phone is also already in a water proof case (lifeproof) after a nasty encounter with salt water destroyed the last one.

I've got an extra dash panel lying around out in the garage.

Why not just swap on the wheel, ditch the bike speedo and graft a holder into the dash for the phone?

A charger would even keep it fresh for when I get off the bike.

I'd get speed and gps mapping all in one. Speed trap warnings too....

Basically, I'd have the cost of the wheel and a bit of fab work to bear and then it's all done and ready to go.

That damned phone is an integral part of my life now anyways, so why not have it on the bike too? At least this would be a useful purpose for it instead of the ex wife being able to hassle me and my calender running my life. I suppose there could be an upside; i could watch the ex call go to voice mail or I could answer it and she could listen to the v4 screaming in her ear...... :tongue:

It's something to think about for now, still not sold on the idea....but I sure do want to get those rc51 brakes on there....... :rolleyes:

Well, I have a plan for the speedo.

Thanks to the forum and the work done by others so far (seb, vfrcapn, etc) i'm going with the vfr750 primary sprocket drive speedo.

I have a drive from a 91 VFR and a motion pro 02-0126 cable on the way.

When it gets here, I'll be modifying my OEM cover to accept it all.

I'd like to go with Seb's bracket, but I would rather not have an open chain cover. Plus, I have to spend that 130-150 bucks elsewhere ATM.

A little work with the drill press and fabbing up a nice bushing will get things all mated up and ready to go.

I do believe I'll still make an iphone holder on the bike though. My fuse cover suffered punched hole when something fell on it. Seems a good location for a big of fiberglass work and an iphone spot....will help to back up the speedo on the dash since it may be "off" a bit with the mix match of parts.

Hold the phone!

NC24 rotors are floaters and fit the F2 wheels!

If I can source a set when I'm over in the UK at the end of the month I can use the SP1 calipers on the VF1000f forks with the F2 wheels and keep the stock speedo gear.

On the far horizon plan, I can use them as templates to make adapters for the SP1 rotors to the F2 wheels and "upsize" to 320mm discs from the NC24/F2 275 mm discs.

The caliper brackets are a piece o' pi$$ to make with floating discs and rigid calipers so no worries there.

Time to make a few long distance calls to "a couple o' me mates"....... :beer:

Done.

A guy I know looked up a couple breakers an turned up a set of good NC24 front rotors for 60 bucks (after exchange).

He'll hold on to them for me until I get to UK at the end of the month.

They bolt right on to F2 wheels (at least the dimensions are the same for the mounts) and are the same diameter as the VF/CBRF2 rotors.

A quick pass on the mill will get me brackets to adapt the SP1 calipers to the VF legs.

Handy little work around it is!

Later on, I'll try and source a set of EBC 320MM flaoting F2 conversion rotors and spin up some new caliper brackets to take full advantage of the RC51 stuff.

Overkill on the street for sure, but why the heck not?

:happy:

I've got him looking for a CBX750F dual headlight now.

I think I'm gonna try a bit of an endurance racer look for the ol' VF.... :ph34r:

Here's a look at the can closer to final positioning:

0AB5E77D-00FA-45D7-93D5-595B741B5871-1330-0000029DC31CBBD8.jpg

05321987-6AD6-42FC-A837-9413E1CCF4EA-1330-0000029DD107711E.jpg

Yup, maybe just a touch big looking, but I'd rather a touch too big rather than a touch too small for tuning reasons.

Since there's also going to be a fair bit of "gold" stuff on the bike (rotor cariers, front and rear calipers, etc) I thinking I may go with an altered version of the Rothman's colors to maybe tie it all together a little better:

Honda-NS_400R_Rothmans_Rep-1986.jpg

Just snagged an RC51 push pull throttle. 20 bucks shipped.

Looks to have the same cable ends as the VF where it enters the grip body.

Now the RH bar is all VTR stuff.

SP2 brakes, SP1 run/start switch and SP2 throttle.

Man, I've really gotta stop this....the postman is gonna have to show up at my house with a semi truck.........and the credit card company is lovin' me.....this hole just keeps gettin' deeper.....

Maybe move the can back a touch so the bends aren't so drastic between the collector outlet and the can inlet?

That VF with the CBR900 front end might have worked well, but it looked just off, no flowing lines, just too many new bits on an old frame, I think your's will turn out much more classic/stock looking.

Never cared much at all for the so called streetfighter look, glad to see you're not going that route. Guess I'm just too old school for that fad, or at least not in tune with the euro styling.

Curious if you gave any thought to modifying the stock swing arm vs. grafting on a newer unit?

After "back and forthing" it quite a bit, I do believe I've come around to painting it the stock (as close to stock as possible) 1983 red and white colors.

vf750f001.jpg

Just want to catch a bit of the flavor of my first interceptor, which was a brand new 1983 red and white.

The bike is far enough of the stock 1985 that this is not a serious change at all.

Well, I'm also Canadian. So Red and White is a bit more "patriotic" for me than red/white/blue.

;)

I've had a very long time to think about paint for mine, and I still can't decide. It's original paint code calls for blue/white. I like both the blue and the red. Blue/red/white is both more racy, and less original being an 84 only color for the US while 1985 got r/w/b. Then there's the custom ideas...

Tough call for sure.

Hi, this is my first post...great forum.

Good taste on the aold interceptor, I prefer the red & white. I bought mine in '83 and still have it. It served well a few weeks ago on my trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Your headlight choice is kinda neat. When I first saw the RC17 in the '80's, I had the same impulse to get that fairing....but as you can see, I found a 6" round headlight fairing which I had shipped to Toronto from England....it is the only example I have ever seen. I took it off for the trip to Bonneville going for the reliability and loss of weight with the stock.

The fairing was built by JP Customs of England..........

Enjoy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753558

Kevin

post-25953-0-93367400-1347678120.jpg

Hi, this is my first post...great forum.

Good taste on the aold interceptor, I prefer the red & white. I bought mine in '83 and still have it. It served well a few weeks ago on my trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Your headlight choice is kinda neat. When I first saw the RC17 in the '80's, I had the same impulse to get that fairing....but as you can see, I found a 6" round headlight fairing which I had shipped to Toronto from England....it is the only example I have ever seen. I took it off for the trip to Bonneville going for the reliability and loss of weight with the stock.

The fairing was built by JP Customs of England..........

Enjoy

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=753558

Kevin

Thats certainly.......interesting.

Any more pictures?

Inside, light mounting, etc?

Id is a complete new fiberglass piece of an alter interceptor fairing?

Archived