1985 VF750F - never ending evolution

greatwhite

I thought I had a thread on the forum, but I guess I only had one on VFRW.

Time to correct that. I'll just copy the first bits from 3 years ago (started 2009, but have had the bike since 2000 or so), so here goes:

Just joined up, here's my Canadian 1985 vf750f also, albeit a little "modified";

n_a.jpg

n_b.jpg

I've been working on my 750 for the better part of 10 years now. I spend most of my time on the Yahoo "interceptors" list.

Here's a little "rundown" on my old girl if you're interested;

-1985 vf750f (Canadian model)

-29,000 kms. I found it low mileage many moons back. Bought it because I had a new one in high school (first year, 1983) and have been tinkering with it ever since.

-CBR600F2 front and rear wheels. I stripped them down and painted/polished them to look like the original VF750F wheels. Machined my own spacers, speedo gear and rear drive hub.

-Rear CBRF2 brakes

-front F2 brake rotors

-Stainless steel lines, front and rear

-tossed in a lower temp fan switch (from a Honda Accord IIRC)

-VF1000R oil pump for the increased pressure/flow. It's reputed to be an 18% increase over the stock VF750F unit. I've always had a bit of "trepidation" about tapping the main gallery and pulling off pressure from the mains with the oil modification kits available.This seems a better option to me...

-homemade fender eliminator. I kept the rear frame rails and stock indicators for more of the "original" look. I also use the rails to assist me when "pedaling" the bike backwards (one arm behind and pulling up on the tail makes it easier)

-powder coated frame in original silver (done a full frame off also, just the plastic is waiting for paint)

-VF1000f front forks (I welded up the air balance holes also). 41mm tubes vice the stock vf750f 38mm.

-CBR600F2 rear shock (resprung, revalved). Machined my own adapters for the lower mount.

-Rebuilt stock exhaust with NOS cans from Honda. That was pretty expensive but worth it for the stock appearance...

- center stand is gone. It doesn't reach the ground any more anyways because of the change in suspension heights....

Plans in the shop;

- Hindle 4 into 1 that's currently undergoing R&R, or I may use it as a template. It's pretty beat up...

- Aluminum can for the Hindle. Currently sitting on the shelf.

-VF1000F side covers

- Body work repaint. I have a complete set of NOS Honda stripes and stickers that are going on her when ready. I've got a very good parts guy who hunted them all down for me :). I'm toying with the idea of painting the plastics Corvette "atomic orange", bu tit will be done on separate plastics so I can pop the red/white/blue (classic interceptor) back on when I want.

- plan on installing the gold emulators in the VF1000f forks as you did, but time and money is making that a little difficult right now...

-I have a 2005 CBR600RR shock on the way. Going to see if it can be made to work...

Well, that's about it for the old girl.

Cheers

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 84VF1000F viewpost-right.png

Very nice bike! Just wondering about your fender modification - where is the license plate light?

The taillight itself provides the light, only thing is, it's red.

I'm currently working on a spare tail light and replacing a small strip at the bottom with a bit of clear plexi. Not much, about 1/8" wide, but enough to spread some white light on the plate.

If you look closely in this pic, you can see the small bottom area of the light that will be modified:

n_a-4.jpg

Here's the bracket I fabbed up if you're interested:

n_a-3.jpg

It extends up under the ducktail and bolts the rear most tabs on the frame rails themselves (where the OE fender bolts). I can't stand it when a bike goes by and the plate is flopping around because the guy cut the fender off and jimmied it into nothing but the plastic filler piece. Like everything else, it needs a proper mount of some sort.

I also cut down the OE fender more than most do. All that's really left is a small piece of trim for the underside of the ducktail. I go on a bit of a weight reduction kick now and then and I figured I could pretty much ditch the entire thing up to the inner fender. Worked out just fine...

I'm thinking the fuel pump is coming out next. I know some have removed it with no ill effects, but I'll have to do a little experimenting for myself before I'm satisfied it can go for good....

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by cebuVFR viewpost-right.png

SWEET! looks very well maintained for her age!

Actually, it was pretty neglected when I got it, other than low KM's. Rusted, broken items and it had been thrown down the road once or twice.

Pretty common for a once "superbike" turned into a squid's first ride by the ravages of time and depreciation....

It's had a complete "frame off rework". I bought it because it was complete, original and ran well. even if it was somewhat "distressed".

It had obviously spent several winters outdoors before I got it. The tank was even rusted through in a few spots. I stripped it out, acid wased it and then silver soldiered the holes shut (luckily, they weer only pin hiles after acid washing). A coat of Kreem (yeah, I know lots of people don't like it, but it's never given me any trouble) and she was good to go.

Luckily, other than cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, I haven't had to get into the engine.

Only thing I haven't gotten to yet is the body work.

I really love the old 80's superbikes. I'd have a whole stable of them if time, space and finances allowed. Most of them met with an early and untimely death at the hands of inexperienced riders and poseurs of the time. The endless march forward in bike performance has relegated the rest to junker status.

Pretty soon, they'll be collectible because there just won't be any left.....

Yup, I did a dumb thing again....

Saw a set of 05 rc51 front brake calipers on ebay for 49 bucks. Figured I'd mess around a bit and throw a 50 dollar bid on them. No way I'd win it for a buck over the current bid, right?

Wrong.

50 bucks and they're on their way. Rats.

Now I'm going to end up trying to figure out a way to get them on my vf1000f forks and CBR rotors.

I may end up buying some floating rotors and adapting them to the cbr wheels.

Seems I just never learn.........

Umm, I did it again (the wifes gonna kill me)......

BTRQijwB2kKGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBKHimY.jpg

BTRQkNgWkKGrHgoH-EUEjlLl0EpmBKHimtJ.jpgBTRQl3Q2kKGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7BKHin5Mw.jpg

BTRQnUQBWkKGrHgoH-D8EjlLlyV52BKHinV.jpgBTRQo9gWkKGrHgoH-DQEjlLlBBKHinoRw_1.jpg

Found an ebay auction that was not being watched or something, because I got all this for 60 bucks (well, plus shipping that is).

Your bidding on brake system off a 2000 RVT1000R. These parts are off a crashed bike that I bought. They have been stored in my garage for the past year and looking to sell asap. These parts appear to be in working condition. What you see is what you get. If you have any questions I'll try to answer as best as possible.

Might be a common price for you boys down south, but that's darn near impossible to find "up north"... assuming you can find a wrecked RVT1000R at all...

I was looking to find a MC so the piston ratio's matched on the calipers I bought, now I've got everything i could need to proceed (except the bike dambit)....

happy.gif

Lots of raw material there to carry on with my brake swap on the ol' 'ceptor! I've got about a dozen bracket and disc mounting ideas swirling around in my head now.....

biggrin.gif

Well, off to bed to dream of better brakes!

So, a little research turns up that the CBR600F2 rotors I'm currently using are 276mm and the SP1 rotors on the way are 320mm.

I also have a complete SP2 master cyl on the way (right down to the lever).

Why?

More progressive brakes.

A little googling reveals the SP2 MC piston is 17mm instead of the SP1 19 mm piston.

All reports on the SP1 vs SP2 brakes is the lever pull is much more progressive with better feedback as a result of the diameter change.

Before anyone asks, I have a set of SP2 calipers from the same year as the master cyl (2003) sitting on the shelf in the garage........;-)

Should be a nice upgrade if I can build the carriers to work properly.

My initial thought is to turn down a set of VF rotors to just the carrier, chuck the SP rotors up in the lathe a turn the center of the carriers out, then off to the TIG machine at work to mate the two.

I need to get all the stuff here first though, it may not work at all....

Hmmm, now how am I going to mount those pesky calipers.......

A quick thumb through some of my photo's and a couple requests to "a couple guys who know a couple guys" and this popped up:

frwheel1.jpg

It's rough (like all race bike parts) but it's proof of concept.

A plan is forming...

cool.gif

Now, I need to find a blue an -4 "Y" fitting like the superbike.....

rgtengine2.jpg

Anyone have a lead on one?

cool.gif

Dang it!

Now I'm thinking about a double R swingarm. Anyone tried it before?

It just never stops...

*edit*

Oopps, spoke too soon. Finances have just dictated that the brake and shock upgrade attempt will be the end of it for a while.

Gotta go into heavy saving mode for a down payment on a second house.

Don't ask.......

censored.gif

My 2003 Master cyl showed up today.

BR5752kKGrHgoOKjYEjlLmYLs0BJ94fOjWW.jpg

Very nice unit, I especially like the adjustable reach on the lever...

That alone will make the swap worthwhile!

The fitting from the Master Cyl to the reservoir is busted though. I knew this when I ordered it (got it cheap $$).

BR5-PCGkKGrHgoOKjcEjlLmPeBJ94fdIBQ_.jpg

I've got another complete brake system (as listed above) for parts. I'll just swap out the fitting form the 2000 Master cyl that's coming with the rest.

Still worth it for the better brakes from the SP2.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to paint it black like the clutch lever or strip the clutch lever to bare Al.....

Just got back from a two week work "junket".

Couple items showed up while I was gone, my complete front and rear SP1 brake system and my new ignition barrel (my wife put my only ignition key somewhere and we can't find it).

Unfortunately, finances have dictated I put the project on hold for the moment (besides what I can do in the garage with what I already have).

As I mentioned, we're saving the downpayment on a second home.....

However, the package came witht eh kill switch for the SP1 still attached to the wiring harness. It's a nice trim little thing. Anyone know if the SP1/SP2 thottle is a push pull like the VF's? MIght make a nicve little upgrade to the look of the bar mounted items.

Jebus, the wife is really gonna kill me.....what the heck is wrong with me?

tongue.gif

Got some replacement plastics on the way, just have to source a few more pieces and I can paint hte bike the Corvette atomic orage I want.

Here's a rough idea (borrowed and modified pics):

509159751_cZLQ4-XL.jpg

2004_10_16_bikepics-229040-full.jpg

2004_10_16_bikepics-229039-full.jpg

2004_10_16_bikepics-229041-full.jpg

Of course, my stock 85 white, blue and red stuff won't be touched. It's going into storage, so changing back will be a simple matter of a couple bolts and screws.

I'll be working on some SP2 switchgear also:

switch-web.jpg

After I get the SP2 brakes on to her that is....

001.jpg

BTRQijwB2kKGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBKHimY.jpg

So, that brings us up to date (2012) and the recent posts:

Wow, has i really been 3 years?

Well, I had to move some stuff around in the garage the other day for some electricians to run a 30A plug for our camper trailer.

Pulled the boat out of the way and there's my old 'ceptor slumbering in the corner under it's cover where it's been since we moved into the new house last year.

I stopped riding it because my body just couldn't take it for much more than 10-15 minutes at a time (I'm 47 and busted up 6 ways to sunday).

I pulled the cover off and looked at my old riding partner.

Dusty, half done, forgotten and forlorn.

Hmm, wonder if it will start?

Nope. dead as the proverbial door nail.

I jump it off the car, it whirls over but: nada.

Crack the carb drains. Yep, I left fuel in the bowls. It's coming out green. And I'm not exaggerating, it's actually bright St Patrick's day green!

Then rig up my temporary fuel talk and fill the bowls.

Whir, whir, whir, whir, whir..........varoom!

It catches, tries to run, popps a bit of flame from the pipes, smokes like an SOB and then quits after a valiant attempt to idle.

Yup, carbs are probably gummed beyond belief and the spark plugs are black and wet when I pull them. You can smell the fouled gas for miles.

I sit down and stare at my once proud steed.

What to do?

Sell it?

Scrap it?

Shove it back into the corner and forget it for another 3 years?

Nah, can't do it.

So, tomorrow I'm headed down to the store to pick up 4 plugs and a new battery.

then over to my friends house to get my bike lift back.

I'm thinking that this winter I'll resurrect the old girl, ride it next summer (at least back and forth to work which is a short jaunt) and see if the magic is still there.

This winter will see a new paint job (not original but faithful in spirit of the 83-85 scheme, I've got a few ideas) and a continuation of the projects that were underway and never finished.

I hope the magic is still there.........I can only hope.......:)

Today I pull the old girl out into the driveway and get read to throw fresh sparks and a new battery in it.

Pop off the seat and......Grrrrrrrr! Mouse house!

So the little bugger had found his way in somewhere in the past, dragged all kinds of fluff and crap up there and proceeded to munch away on the ignitior box wiring.

Of all things, why the ignitor boxes! Those a darned near impossible to replace....

Out comes the tools and garden hose. I start by blasting the little SOB's bedding out of the tool kit box. Oh for the luva.....mouse pee and crap has corroded the bolts.

I'll spare you the multiple explicatives that went on for a while and get to the wiring. Turns out, he had just munched on the tail light wiring. Stripped a bit of insulation and left it alone. Easily fixed.

The battery slots right in.

Next are the sparks. Yup, I'd forgotten they can be a pain all on their own. Well, slow and steady get them swapped out.

Ah yes, how convenient memory is....

I was then re-introduced to the joy that is working on a V4 and carbs.

A quick memory jog and I remember what a true PITA they are!

I'll spare the gory details that we all know so well an start at the point of carbs on the bench.

Yup, showing the years of neglect. Dull and cruddy on the outside, rust pocks starting on the diaphragm covers.

Flip 'em over and drain the fresh fuel from yesterday. Spin the bowls off and....holy mutha! It's green!

Near as I can figure, the fuel left in the bowls turned into something akin to diesel and algea started growing in it.

That's a first for me.....

carb cleaner, brake cleaner, spray 9 and simple green get the bowls, the jets, carb circuits and float needles/seats cleaned up and ready to go.

Some of the jets and circuits were so badly blocked (algae) that I had to resort to an old trick to clear them enough for the chemicals to do their thing. I pull a couple lengths of different gauge stranded copper wire off the shelf and strip 'em. I pull one strand out of each bundle. this becomes my "chase" for the jets. Since the copper is softer than the brass jets, it's relatively safe to run them though. i select a gauge based on one carb that has an open jet and then start working the rest until the hole is clear. The carb soak does the rest.

So that's where they sit; on the bench and soaking to get the last bit of crud out.

No wonder it ran like crap.

Tomorrow, I get to be reacquainted with the wonderful task that is getting the bloody carbs back into the bloody intake boots.

The more I think about it, the more "megasquirt" becomes a very attractive word.....

Well, got called out a 0200 to search for a fellow that fell off a sailboat the day before around 1200.

Well, we found him 20 hours later and he did not survive.

So i got home around 1700 and fell asleep since that was the first sleep I'd had since the night before.

After a couple hours I wake up and feel the need to accomplish something positive. I head out to the garage and pull the bits out of the cleaner. Then I blow them all clean and start rebuilding the carbs. 20 mins later they're ready to got on.

After a suitable amount of struggling and forcing the carbs are in the boots.

Looking for something positive, I pop on the temp fuel tank I use for balancing and gravity fill the bowls.

two turns and it catches.

Ticking over smooth and clean with a fair bit of smoke from the pipes. I swap the tank over to the fuel pump inlet while it warms up.

Once on the pump pressure, it runs very nicely. Carbs aren't even balanced and it's ideling great. Probably better than it ever has and that's saying something as I used to had it in top fighting trim.

Warmed up it stops smoking and the idle is super smooth.

Not bad for about an hour and a half of work.

After a good night sleep I'll clean up the rest of the carb install and maybe get on to some other things that need attention....

Slept in late this am, needed it after yesterday's mission and my iphone getting roached.

Had a nice brunch and then out to the garage.

Started buttoning things back up on the bike and fitting body parts so I can shape/fit the VF1000F side covers I've had on the shelf waiting to be installed these last 3 years.

Bike starts right up on 2nd tick over from dead cold. I should have gotten aggressive with the carbs years ago since it's never been this well mannered.

I let it run and warm up as I tinker away.

I notice my leg is getting "spit on" and check the pipes. Yup, rust hole on the LH underside. The muffler I didn't replace when I bought a new one for the other side 4-5 years ago has rotted through.

Well, that settles it; the factory system comes off and goes up in the rafters this winter. The Hindle 4/1 comes down, gets refurbished and will be fitted up. I've got a stock GSXR aluminum muff that will get installed. A bit of high mounting will happen since the bike will only ever carry one person. I sure would like to build that vf750F superbike replica exhaust I've been wanting, but time and personal finances are set against me for that. Passenger pegs will be coming off and I'll fab up some custom rear sets fabbed. Probably chuck on the SP1 rear caliper and master while I'm at it...

As it idles, I note the headlight is off. Fuse is popped. No big.

Then the neutral light is gone and no tach.

What?

With no spare glass fuses around, I pull a single strand of copper from a piece of 12 gauge and touch the contacts. Yup, neutral light comes on and tach springs to life. Need a fuse......

Then I see a whisp of smoke!

Jeebus!

Quick flick the key off and start searching for the offender.

It's down near the regulator so I get in close for a look.

And there it is; my startor connector is now a blob of semi liquid plastic.

Mumble, mumble, mumble.........bit by the high resistance connector problem like so many before.....

For now, I'll solder the stator field wires together and make sure there's no other problems. I've already metered the stator winding and they check out good with the OEM service manual. Next to check the regulator.

This winter I think I'll grab the 100ft spool of 12 gauge wire and go at the bike, replacing all the lower gauge wiring that had to be a Honda weight and cost cutting measure.

Metripack connectors will be used everywhere.

I also think I'll ditch the resistive style regulator for a mosfet F011 type reg to increase reliability and shed some of that heat build up.

I've always liked Honda products; well built and reliable. But there's no saying you can't make a good thing better......;)

Change of plans I think.....going back to a concept I was working on 3 years ago:

2004_10_16_bikepics-229040-fuafu-3.jpg

Time to get the fiberglass and mold making stuff out.

Keeps the flavor of the VF series with a touch bit extra.

Gonna be a "fiberglassy" winter season this year.....

And now, todays post and I'll let it run from here:

Well, pretty po'd today.

My Hindle pipe has a large crushed section. I was considering simply cutting it out and welding in a new piece.

I came across the "freezing method" for removing dents and thought I'd give it a try. Sounds easy enough and won't damage anything if I give it enough expansion room. I left the ends open and only filled the pipes to where the dents were and popped it in the freezer.

Pull it out this morning and it's frozen solid. No movement that I can see on the dents and crushed parts. So I melt the ice and start to refill to try again when.....leaks.

What?

Leaking from the rear pipe into the collector up against the upper pipe. Maybe 1/8 of clearance between the two.

The ice split it in the worst possible spot!

Grrrrr..................Sonovamotherlovin........mad.gif

So, the pipe goes back on with it's dents and flat section and the split will have to be brazed. There's no way to get in there to weld it, but braze will flow.

I should have known better......very mad with myself right now.

And now, wavering back and forth on the atomic orange paint.

Kind of swaying between the orange, the 85 red/white/blue and the all red 83 paint.

I'm partial to the 83 all red paint job because that was the one I bought new way back when in high school. I was on a waiting list for months.

Nothing made you as big a dude on campus (grade 10) as showing up on the 1983 "wonderbike" fresh off the presses....gawd, I miss that machine.....giant killer and docile at the same time. Blasting twisties or headed to the other side of the province, it did it all in complete poise and confidence. No one in the county wanted to mess with it, but everyone wanted to ride it (not a chance bubba!)

So many good memories with that 83........

Ya know, everytime I walk out into the garage and start messing with it the more I start thinking about just finishing it up as is and enjoy it.

Replace the one knackered stock muffler, paint it stock (or as close as possible) with the VF1000F side covers (already fitted), fix the anoying little bits (IE: busted choke cable, etc) and then just ride it.

Forget about the single rear seat (changes the looks) and forget about the hindle and custom can (I enjoy the stock muffler sound).

Enjoy the goodness that is VFF-ness on a warm summer day and a fast sweeping road....

Well, maybe the cbr600rr swingarm, and I do already have the sp2 brakes on the shelf, and maybe..............oh crap. I just never learn......facepalm.gif

There is a company that makes faithful reproductions of the OEM Honda cans for the VF750s.

It's stuck in my head right now, but when it shakes loose, I'll post up.

Yeah, I remember running across something like that before also.

Seems to me they were close, but "off" just enough to make me buy the OEM one from Honda.

Sadly, that's not an option any more.

But, "beggars can't be...." and all that jazz I suppose....

Well, looks like "full steam ahead", "damn the torpedos" or any other of a number of applicable battle cry's.......just ordered up a CBR600RR swingarm to graft in to the old girl.

That will allow me to tuck in the exhaust pipe on the right and high (well, higher) mount the can.

Better get the hindle into the blast cabinet and do something with it....

Archived