6th Annual Catskills Fall Ride: October 5-7, 2012

SEBSPEED

I see by Cha Cha Huts Facebook page that they got very busy today with a special mention of a Sebastian and his riding partners. I assume that's 'Seb' and you guys. Jealous, I've been wanting to go to Palenville and try their Q.

Yes, that was me/us. They are in Arkville, by the way - not Palenville.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My weekend started with some new tires.

IMG_2670_zpsf423d06f.jpg

I was going to change my oil too, but Kevin needed it more. :goofy:

IMG_2672_zpse44a10ff.jpg

We kicked off Friday night with some beverages and a Faux Flaf signing.

IMG_2674_zps74d197bb.jpg

IMG_2673_zps7d82340d.jpg

We couldn't find any adults, so we got Eric to do his best impression. I don't think we convinced anyone, but at least they didn't give us too much grief about it. :biggrin:

IMG_2676_zpsffec9b7c.jpg

Everyone including myself was worried about what Saturday's weather would bring. Turned out to be a pretty nice day, right up until lunch when we got soaked just before the lunch stop in 45 degree air.

The morning run was beautiful. At a few points we were rolling around a corner on new pavement, cold damp smell of autumn in the air, colors all around, with a light wind gently showering us with leaves just falling from the trees - just perfect.

IMG_2677_zps47609f0b.jpg

IMG_2679_zps1a49eda1.jpg

IMG_2682_zps99f0af35.jpg

IMG_2683_zps080f09f7.jpg

IMG_2685_zps600e7df6.jpg

We started the morning with one small snafu, mostly due to me counting one hiviz jacket instead of two... Sorry Brian!

IMG_2686_zpse15214cc.jpg

IMG_2687_zps74133dea.jpg

We made a pit stop to check in on our national bird...

IMG_2691_zps09ac7f6e.jpg

(eagle on top, nest just below)

IMG_2688_zps35539788.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsbbff897b.jpg

IMG_2690_zps42b07a60.jpg

IMG_2692_zps755fe9e7.jpg

IMG_2693_zps307c4298.jpg

IMG_2697_zps7388f5db.jpg

Next stop... Lunch! The always-amazing Cha Cha Hut did not disappoint, everyone had nothing but praise for the food.

Unfortunately, I forgot about taking good food pics, only have this one but others had their cameras out.

IMG_2699_zps84a8a285.jpg

We ended a bit early due to being wet and cold. Back at the motel things looked a bit better though - perfect beer & coffee temps! lol

IMG_2700_zpsd136116c.jpg

We got some beer for us...

IMG_2703_zps25b1f892.jpg

And some for Timmy...

IMG_2701_zps10055876.jpg

... But Timmy didn't show, and there weren't any bag ladies around, so I had to bring it back.

After telling lies, jokes, and reliving the day it was time for dinner:

IMG_2706_zps1d4a6e3b.jpg

And then more lies and jokes... I especially enjoyed hearing of Brian's firsthand experience with the invention of the wheel. :wink::goofy:

IMG_2708_zps90d17766.jpg

IMG_2709_zps56dcc121.jpg

Sunday we all split after another great breakfast at Angela's.

Thanks to all who braved the weather to come out for the ride and the fun, really enjoyed seeing you and meeting a couple of new faces. I had fun, hope to see you again soon!!

Till next time,

IMG_2713_zpsd8b17fed.jpg

• Member Contributer

Legislature goes out of existence in a couple weeks... I would love to get one ride in before the season is completely farked.

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, I made it back. Finally! 9 days and 3000 miles.

After the previous couple of days, I was really hoping for a clear sunny day on roads I know. Almost...

Deals Gap was great, no traffic. I was surprised to see the Photog's working today, and at 9 am. Didn't stop at the store, but kept going down 28. Again, awesome! 143 over to Robinsville, and then the Cherohala. Unfortunately it was fogged in pretty heavily. Got stuck behind a dump truck doing 25 for a little bit because I couldn't see far enough to pass. Finally got out of the clouds and made it to Tellico Plains for gas. A huge cluster fu^$ of Harley's was leaving and I wasn't sure were they were going. Wasn't up the Skyway, I knew that. I was afraid they were hitting 68, so I decided to skip that and go down 39-315-30 to 74/64. No HD's but 315 was freshly chip sealed, and that really sucked! Lots of loose gravel...

I got to 74/64 and several dump trucks were headed east (towards Ducktown, and eventually Morgantown and GA60 to Suches) so I headed west to take the easy way home down boring 411. All was going well until I found some sort of road block and detour. Somehow got a little lost and had to check out the iPhone to see where I was. No harm done, easy fix and I was back on 411 south. Finished up with 50 or so miles on the highway. Not a bad day all around. Great trip!

Thanks again to Seb for putting it all together, and letting me change my oil at his house! Again thanks to Brian for some guiding on Friday and Sunday. Thanks to the rest of you for making it worth the trip up!

• Member Contributer

Next stop... Lunch! The always-amazing Cha Cha Hut did not disappoint, everyone had nothing but praise for the food.

Unfortunately, I forgot about taking good food pics, only have this one but others had their cameras out.

IMG_2699_zps84a8a285.jpg

We ended a bit early due to being wet and cold. Back at the motel things looked a bit better though - perfect beer & coffee temps! lol

IMG_2700_zpsd136116c.jpg

We got some beer for us...

IMG_2703_zps25b1f892.jpg

And some for Timmy...

IMG_2701_zps10055876.jpg

... But Timmy didn't show, and there weren't any bag ladies around, so I had to bring it back.

After telling lies, jokes, and reliving the day it was time for dinner:

IMG_2706_zps1d4a6e3b.jpg

And then more lies and jokes... I especially enjoyed hearing of Brian's firsthand experience with the invention of the wheel. :wink::goofy:

IMG_2708_zps90d17766.jpg

IMG_2709_zps56dcc121.jpg

Sunday we all split after another great breakfast at Angela's.

Thanks to all who braved the weather to come out for the ride and the fun, really enjoyed seeing you and meeting a couple of new faces. I had fun, hope to see you again soon!!

Till next time,

IMG_2713_zpsd8b17fed.jpg

Nice job of capturing the trip! I feel like I was there...wait, I was. My stomach took a couple days to recover after eating two pounds of pork and hot BBQ sauce. Time to start the winter project...

• Member Contributer

Seb: Thanks for setting up the ride. Thank you too, Brian as Seb's "assistant". I was glad that I squeezed in riding on both Friday and Saturday. Living close afforded me the opportunity to enjoy the rides, the company, and still maintain my weekend commitments that could not be denied. Next weekend looks to be great for riding. Anybody want to get together on Saturday and/or Sunday for an encore? Ride safe, Dave

Archived