Most miles on a 5th Gen?

L Scott

Hi,

What's the most miles anyone here has gotten out of a 5th gen? I have a 2001 800FI CA. model. I'm at 75K and it's still running great. Of course I do all the recommended service. Change the oil & filter every 3-4K. I've changed all of the fluids twice, brake, clutch, coolant. Rebuilt the forks twice, 3 chains and 2 sets of sprockets. I've had the valves adjusted twice, well, checked twice. I've only needed one valve actually adjusted and that was at 68K. I just recently bought the 3rd battery. That's about it.

I have the usual basic mods, forks revalved, speedo healer, Power Commander, frame sliders, geared down a tad, LeoVince slip-on, EBC wave rotors, EBC GPFA pads, Zumo 550. I'm sure it's due for a rear shock so I'm debating a 929 setup from Jamie Daugherty in the next few weeks. I figure if I just keep looking after it, I should get another 70K. Think I'm dreamin?

It's been the most fun and reliable bike I have had or have known any friends to have either. I commute daily and most weekends try to get in a couple hundred miles of twistys. Some decent roads in No. Cal. What's the most miles anyone has heard or has accrued?

It seems there should already be some sorta thread like this already but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone can point me toward it?

Cheers!

post-4638-0-95108700-1345939079.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y2K, with just over 52K on the clock, other then the usual, one valve check and adjust, two Battery replacements, two sets of chain, and one sprocket kit, that’s it.

Runs as good as the day I acquired it

• Member Contributer

I have an 2001 with 105,000 miles. I've put 101,000 of those on over the last six years. It has been "around the block" (crashed) many times. (The learning curve on this thing was brutal for me.) Now I've started over with another 2001. Got it in April with 18,000 miles from a cool dude in Ohio. It has got 10,000 more after SumSum2. The first one will be a winter rebuild project after T-Mac (blush). Mechanically, she is still like a fine watch. Love these machines!

• Member Contributer

My 98 model has 116k on her (111k of them mine) but I am aware of one held by Castrol UK to test lubricants that has over 500k on the clock. Ok, it's on a bench, but still........

There's supposedly a legendary bike courier in the UK who racked up 200K or 250K miles on a VFR, but don't know if that was a 5th gen or an earlier version. I know RIDE magazine bought a used 93 VFR with 88K miles on it just to tear the motor apart to see how things stood. No service history. They found clean oil, evidence of a replaced clutch, and very light wear on all, enough so that you could have reassembled it and had 99% of the motor and gear box pieces within spec. As it was apart, they freshened things up a bit, but said they really didn't need to. These bikes are well-built, and worth keeping up. Really, what could you replace it with without spending a fortune for features you don't need?

I wish I had more time to ride and much better roads. My 99 has 42k with typical maint: batteries, VFRness, R/R, and on my second chain. I plan on keeping mine until I can swing a Goldwing and eventually passing it down to my little ones.

• Member Contributer

There's supposedly a legendary bike courier in the UK who racked up 200K or 250K miles on a VFR, but don't know if that was a 5th gen or an earlier version.

He did about 850K miles on a '90, motor replaced once. I have the Bike Magazine article if I could find a place to post it...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/40599-the-high-mileage-thread-what-do-you-have-on-your-vfr/page__st__150#entry816687

There is a rider on this forum with over 220K on a 4th gen. I'm only at 44K. When I was looking I saw plenty for sale with 100K + for sale. It is why I bought one, people obviously ride them, and love them, and they last forever.

I have 119,500 miles on my 2001 VFR. I bought it new in May, 2001, and have used it primarily to ride to work 60 miles roundtrip each day here in Wisconsin. It has made that commute in temps from 102 degrees down to 2 degrees. (That morning was cold, but the bike ran perfectly. It sat outside in the parking lot all day and fired up that afternoon at 14 degrees and ran home just fine.) It has been reliable in every way except for replacing the pair valve at 61,000. It has all the original internal engine parts along with the original clutch, exhaust, seat and body panels. The VFR fit me on the first day and still does. I change the oil every 3000 miles, using Honda filters and Honda's conventional oil. The bike runs great and I have no indication that it is near the end. So I'll keep on riding it.

• Member Contributer

Today happens to be the 11th anniversary of buying my '99 (w/ 3K on it). Saw this on the way to work this morning, should be about 2.5 years to hit 100K.

mileage.jpg

• Member Contributer

Y2K with 77K. I got it used with 16K almost exactly 7 years ago today. I put 58K on in 3 years, then about 2k over the last 4 years as I got an FJR which has been my primary ride since then. I just got my VFR serviced today, and plan to keep it and see how far I can go.

Thanks for posting this thread, as I am interested in the responses, too.

There's supposedly a legendary bike courier in the UK who racked up 200K or 250K miles on a VFR, but don't know if that was a 5th gen or an earlier version. I know RIDE magazine bought a used 93 VFR with 88K miles on it just to tear the motor apart to see how things stood. No service history. They found clean oil, evidence of a replaced clutch, and very light wear on all, enough so that you could have reassembled it and had 99% of the motor and gear box pieces within spec. As it was apart, they freshened things up a bit, but said they really didn't need to. These bikes are well-built, and worth keeping up. Really, what could you replace it with without spending a fortune for features you don't need?

I'm almost positive that courier rode a 1990 (3rd-Gen). He put something like 200k on the bike, replaced the engine, rode it another 150-200k, and then got hit by a car, which destroyed the bike. Some people have the best jobs...

• 1 month later...

My '99 has ~108k on it, climbing fast. I bought it a few months back with ~98.5k on it.

Not quit sure how many months, I'd have to go see when it was I pulled a large stack of $20 bills out of several ATMs all around the city where I bought it. :laugh:

Or look in the envelop of gas receipts, looks like around the end of May. 2k miles a month? At ~30 miles per day to and from work, that only add ups to approx 600 miles a month. That means nearly 1.5k per month in general mucking around, a lot more than I would have though.

Based on all these posts, my 98 with 32K is a baby and has lots of life left. :tour:

Almost certainly. Though I have to say you missed out of an awesome part of buying a VFR with something in the neighborhood of 100k miles... that is the looks on people's faces when they find out you willingly shelled out money for a bike with that many miles! :laugh:

Archived