Most miles on a 5th Gen?

L Scott

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

116,000kms and one of the guys in my local riding group actually announced my bike to a friend of his I hadn't met before, when I arrived for a ride, saying, "that bike has over 100,000 klicks on it!" He wasn't making fun, he was more commenting on the condition.

I just had a chuckle inside knowing that it's a low miler compared to many.

• Member Contributer

Put 58,000 miles on my '98 in 4 years, 10 months. Sold it to a friend on May 16 with 115,927 miles on the odometer. He took it out for a test ride before we made the deal, as he pulled into the driveway he said, "I like it better than my 7th gen." "why?" He said, "It's about 100 lbs. lighter."

It was a great bike, and I hope I won't regret letting it go. 50 mpg and a 250+ mile range when I could keep the speed to around 70 mph. Barely burned a drop of oil. I found a yellow 2000 VFR with under 25,000 miles on it, and got it for $2,400. I have put 2,500 miles on that one already. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

• Member Contributer

have 190,700km (118k+ miles) on mine now http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tour.gif , not without its fair share of worn out components though!

That's why they are called consumables! Though I work with a guy who has been through 3 bikes and never had one long enough to replace a tires...

Now that is just wrong!!!!

C

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/12/2012 at 9:28 PM, doug5551 said:

Y2K with 77K. I got it used with 16K almost exactly 7 years ago today. I put 58K on in 3 years, then about 2k over the last 4 years as I got an FJR which has been my primary ride since then. I just got my VFR serviced today, and plan to keep it and see how far I can go.

Thanks for posting this thread, as I am interested in the responses, too.

Just turned over 89k miles. Still love my 2000.  I'm now riding it two up.  Would have more miles but I have a FJR and a Hayabusa.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply on this one..been off the site for a bit (riding LOL)...I passed 140K kms (~88K miles) on my Y2K.  Still running strong.  Regular mechanical bits and 2 RRs.

JJ

• 1 month later...

I picked up AB's old 'bike May last year, and it now has ~136,000kms (85000 miles) on it...

Granted, it still runs well, and looks the business (mostly because it's been garaged for probably it's entire life when not ridden). Still scrubs up pretty well, for its age and kms..which got me thinking.

I had a conversation with a local motorcycle garage not long after I acquired the bike, to see what it might cost to have compression and leak-down tests done, just to see how good things are mechanically. Anyway, aside from the bloke trying to convince me to bin the PC2 it came with (and of course buy a PC3 from him), he also said that "motorcycle engines are only designed and engineered to last 100,000kms at most. Your's is probably way down on compression and will likely need a rebuild, or you'll need to look at sourcing a low-km 2nd hand one..." I mentioned the amounts of kms/miles people people have gotten out of these bikes, and he said "don't believe everything you read on the Internet..." (Needless to say that call didn't end well, and I've elected not to use his services).

So, quick question: Has anyone with a high-mileage 5th-gen had compression and or leak-down tests done on their bike? If so, how did it go? (i.e. how close to "spec" was it?)

It'd be interesting to see some compression and leakdown numbers on higher km VFR engines, however if performance, mpg and emissions are OK I'd see no reason to replace the engine.  

I believe one thing I usually see in engines with some blowby is that new oil turns dark quite quickly.

I have compression and leakdown gear but no adapter for a VFR spark plug.  No idea what that'd cost.

• Member Contributer

I had a conversation with a local motorcycle garage not long after I acquired the bike, to see what it might cost to have compression and leak-down tests done, just to see how good things are mechanically. Anyway, aside from the bloke trying to convince me to bin the PC2 it came with (and of course buy a PC3 from him), he also said that "motorcycle engines are only designed and engineered to last 100,000kms at most. Your's is probably way down on compression and will likely need a rebuild, or you'll need to look at sourcing a low-km 2nd hand one..." I mentioned the amounts of kms/miles people people have gotten out of these bikes, and he said "don't believe everything you read on the Internet..." (Needless to say that call didn't end well, and I've elected not to use his services) .

Wise choice. What a load of shit.

91,xxx miles on my '98.  Oil seal on the water pump shaft started weeping right before the insurance expired last fall.  First non-electrical issue I've had since I bought it new. I'm going to keep it at least until I can get Collector's Plates in 2023 if Gaia's willin' and the creek don't rise.

• Forum CEO

130,000 miles on the old girl. Then some guy in a van hit me head on in Centerville Tennessee.  I would have ridden that bike till the wheels fell off. Well I guess they I infact did lol. Worst part is I just repainted it myself, and Powder coated the whole entire drive train, two weeks later on a trip to go to the Tmac vfrd rally my bike was sitting in BaileyRocks garage all bashed up. 

paintdone 007.jpg

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, Imagearhead said:

I've got 5th gen 2001

147,000 miles.bought in 05 with 7 thou on bike.

had 1998 and had put 

70 thou.Great bikes .

Most 5th gen riders have right foot and ankle at medium rare.

LOL, not me.

I couldn't help myself and covered the exhaust heat shield in a carbon fiber-looking stick on film. To stop it melting, I then bought stick-on foil like heat shielding, and installed a couple of layers on the inside of the shield. The film still looks good (no melting), and as a bonus, there's less heat coming through the shield.

Even without the film on there, I'd still install some heat shielding on the inside to cut down heat transfer...

• Member Contributer

76,155 miles as of this morning :)

replaced the r/r so far and check valves occasionally (always measure within range). that's been it. clutch travel is getting a little short so i guess eventually something has to wear.

• 2 months later...

About to turn 100k on mine  and the radiator fan just stopped working -- 1st issue so far since I bough it in 2012 w 24k.  It even ran on the original plugs until this winter! 

Tried to diagnose the radiator fan issue -- replaced blown fuse, burped system, spin the blades,  then replaced the radiator thermoswitch for the fan -- still not working.  Ughh  Been great otherwise...

miles.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm aware of some couriers in the UK with over 200,000 miles on VFR 5th gens !

• Member Contributer

With regular maintenance,  I'll bet you can get it to 200k with ease.   

5 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

With regular maintenance,  I'll bet you can get it to 200k with ease.   

Thanks cogswheel, I am anal about things. But time would tell about 200k. 

Currently I am after folks who have never touched their valves on 5th Gen to see if I can have some data points with high probability to ease my mind and I won't touch them until winter. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/28/2018 at 10:13 AM, faran said:

Thanks cogswheel, I am anal about things. But time would tell about 200k. 

Currently I am after folks who have never touched their valves on 5th Gen to see if I can have some data points with high probability to ease my mind and I won't touch them until winter. 

Just did the valves on my new Y2K only 38000km on it (just off the teat). All 4 inlet valves on the rear cylinders were just a little tight and I decreased the shims by 0.05mm probably could have left them alone. The other 12 valves in the motor were fine. 

The PARE valves on the other hand were choked up with black crud and took a bit of cleaning to make nice.

Archived