Most miles on a 5th Gen?

L Scott

have 190,700km (118k+ miles) on mine now :tour: , not without its fair share of worn out components though!

That's why they are called consumables! Though I work with a guy who has been through 3 bikes and never had one long enough to replace a tires...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

have 190,700km (118k+ miles) on mine now :tour: , not without its fair share of worn out components though!

I have 50K miles on the my 98. So far I have had to replace the regulator, steering head bearings, chain & sprockets 2x, brake pads 3x, tires, battery, air filters, various light bulbs, and regular oil changes. Nothing not called out in the maintenance schedule except the regulator.

From your experience, what other worn out components should I expect?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Attached is the article mentioned by Mispent Youth and VFR Capn. Too bad Stans bike wasnt a 5th gen. 77,000 miles on mine. Enjoy. Jeff J.

Amazing bike and guy.

Untitled.jpg

• Member Contributer

Stan probably would not have hit the 800,000 mile mark on the same engine. Wear on the main bearings and piston rings probably would have resulted in low oil pressure and high oil consumption. Jeez, he was doing an oil change every week! One thing sure, the type of riding he was doing, long haul every day, was perfect for making his engine last a long time...fewer heat cycles, fewer cold starts, lots of long distance riding with everything at operating temperature. I just turned 100,000 miles on my Honda Pacific Coast after 6 years, 10 months. Stan would have hit that mark in a year. Good story.,

• Member Contributer

My 99 just hit 132,048 today but I noticed a problem that is going to prevent further miles until I fix it. Going to post for some help after I do a search.

• Member Contributer

Mine (2000) just passed 50000km's (~32Kmiles) and the only trouble I had was with the turning-lights that started to act weird in cold temperatures.

But a can of contact-spray fixed that.

It's in perfect condition and runs like brand new.

Going to do big maint next week, as I have no clue if they ever did anything, I bought it at 44Kkm, just to be sure.

I have a Y2K with 86K on it currently. I use it for my daily rider to and from work. I expect to see it cross the 100K threshold some time in 2013. So long as you change the oil regularly and do the routine maintenance I cannot see why you wouldn't get at least a couple 100K on it. It's a solid bike!

So far the only major things I've replaced on it were the stator, rectifier and clutch plates (clutch was normal maint). I need to replace some of the backlights in the instrument panel and seems the air temp sensor is starting to go but the engine and clutch is solid! BTW, other than my headlamps, the turn and break lights are original, haven't even burned out. Oh, and at 75K, the valves are still within spec! Amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is the article mentioned by Mispent Youth and VFR Capn. Too bad Stans bike wasnt a 5th gen. 77,000 miles on mine. Enjoy. Jeff J.

I'd seen an article from a British bike magazine that sounds like this guy, I could have sworn it was a 5th Gen, Maybe they got something mixed up...

My 5th Gen has around 155,000km.

you guys are lucky you got gear driven cams. i just replaced the cam chain tensioners on my 07 at 36000 miles. along with my stator and rr for the second time.

Well, my dash dims very slightly when I brake, or the turn signals flick on, so either I've got a corroded ground somewhere, or my R/R is on it's way out. I think the PO replaced the R/R twice... Should probably try to get in touch with him to see if he still has a copy of the maintenance records I forgot to pick up when I picked up the bike.

• Member Contributer

All the high mileage VFR is food for thought on the theory of oil...

no one complains about wearing out their engine before its time... so

it doesn't matter which weight of the oil you use 30wt 40wt or 50wt

the VFR will not disappoint your longevity expectations... but it does

matter which weight oil you choose for the lowest drag and the highest

HP... its no secret that if you use a 50wt its costing you more HP

than if you use a 30wt... I know owners spend a lot in aftermarket

parts just gain 3 to 5 HP but they can also gain 3 HP by dropping the

high drag 50wt for recommended freer flowing 30wt... most owners grow

tired of their bikes before seeing 200K on the clock... so what is the

point of a 50wt when you can enjoy the most HP your engine has to

offer with a 30wt??? after all 30wt equal longevity... 40wt equals

longevity... 50wt equals longevity... but also true is the 30wt = the

most HP gains 40wt = middle HP gains... 50wt = the least HP gains...

• Member Contributer

All the high mileage VFR is food for thought on the theory of oil...

Really BLS... you went oil weight on us...

:beatdeadhorse:

Ok, I'll bite...but then your argument assumes at least some of the high mileage 5th gens used 30 wt...

Anyone have over 100k miles on a 5th gen using 30 wt oil?

• Member Contributer

Guy I used to meet at Bear Mountain had a CBR1000 with 154,000 miles on it. He'd done the stator and a couple of other routine things, but it was one of the main reasons I bought my VFR - durability.

Slither,

Mine does the same thing, and has for years. I wouldn't worry about it much if you only notice it at idle.

I'll have to check next time I'm out on the road, but I don't recall it happening when above idle. Everything get a bit brighter the second I crack the throttle, and once I'm in San Antonio traffic, I'm less concerned with my dash than making sure I make it through the ever-changing obstacle course alive than doing anything other than quick glances at the dash to make sure no indicators are out of place. :tour: (My ST3 does the same thing, which is why I didn't get too concerned when I noticed it)

Good end-all to the plug/no plug discussion here

Pardon me? plug/no plug?

• Member Contributer

Anyone have over 100k miles on a 5th gen using 30 wt oil?

Good question... but how many miles do you predict a Honda V4 will travel using 30wt???

• 2 years later...

I have a buddy that has a 99 VFR with 176,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ too. So much so that I had no problems buying my Y2K VFR with 50K on it. And honestly I can't tell a difference in power or anything between the 2. Almost got me wondering if it has ever been rebuilt, but no clues point to that though.

• Member Contributer

Posted in this thread 8/25/2012 that I had 19.5K and now I have 40K. That's crazy.

Just got back from a 2400 mile trip to ohio, damn bike all most broke me.

• Member Contributer

My 130k 98 model always had Castrol 4T 10w-40 (changed every 8k miles) in and the engine was still running beautifully last time I rode her.

A mere 75k miles on my '98.

Up until recently used the same oil as Skids, changed every 4k, (who mis-read the manual!!)

Recently changed to Miller Oil YSS 10/40. This is UK brand which has great reviews by users and at present is half the price of a branded oil for 4L.

No engine problems whatsoever so far, but the electrics, :mad:

I've got through two stators, 9 R/R's, an ECU (second-hand) and a wiring loom plus a few solder repairs on the rear of the instrument display.

Luckily no probs since the newer loom went in 5 yrs ago.

This compared to one R/R on my '93 750. (currently just under 100k)

Archived