Sprocket Sizes - Decisions Decisions

phoenixfire

What sprocket configuration do you ride?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What type of sprocket configuration do you ride?

I noticed absolutely no one runs 16/44...As it applies to a 6th gen (16/43 stock), why not? Not enough of a difference?

Is 44 tooth avaliable in steel? actually 15/44 would be about right to hit the bikes top speed, 15/43 is slightly overgeared to do that unless running down hill.

• Member Contributer

I noticed absolutely no one runs 16/44...As it applies to a 6th gen (16/43 stock), why not? Not enough of a difference?

Is 44 tooth avaliable in steel? actually 15/44 would be about right to hit the bikes top speed, 15/43 is slightly overgeared to do that unless running down hill.

43T or 44T http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/honda/vfr-800f-2002-2009/oe-sprockets/jt-1340-530-pitch-oem-replacement-steel-rear-sprocket.html

15T counter sprocket http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/honda/vfr-800f-2002-2009/oe-sprockets/afam-20602-530-chromoly-steel-front-sprocket-honda.html

• 3 weeks later...

2.3% difference. Not that much. Would raise normal highway cruising RPM's by about 115

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 15/45 and it pulls like a mad bull. Top speed is less, but not interesting The R6 front wheel also helps! :cheerleader:

Edited by RCDekker

• 2 weeks later...
Guest honduhmatic

Actually, I'm running 17/44 for that reason. I bought the stock front cog, and would've done the same out back, but the 43T rear in 530 steel was out of stock and I'd just bought the bike, so I got the 44T to get me riding.

I don't notice too much difference, maybe a little extra pull (and front-wheel lightness :cool: ) in 1st. The speedo is now a bit farther off, about 6-7% fast, 100 km/hr indicated vs. 93 actual (in mph, 62 read vs. 57.5 actual) checked against my phone's GPS. (Mathematically, the 17/44 is 2.3% higher than 17/43 so the speedo was probably 3% off to start with.)

I guess I'd do it again if the parts counter were out of stock again? The extra acceleration is about on part with the annoyance of throwing off the speedo - for each, the difference vs stock isn't big.

• Member Contributer

Just changed the chain and sprockets... 17/45... love it.

Gave me surprise when it straightened out me elbows leaving the lights.

Should have done it sooner, but the chain lasted 101,000km.

If anyone is interested here is a pic of the chain stretch:

gallery_6925_2153_178848.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yep, it's great. The acceleration is wonderful. I'd never go back.

I just got back from a ride and checked my speedo and odometer while I was out. My speedo is off about 12%, shows 82 mph when I'm actually running 73, this is measured against my bicycle computer and the GPS. The odometer is off by a touch under 5%. In 10 miles it showed 10.46 miles. I checked the rpm vs speed but forgot what it was. CRS syndrome.

I was in a mc store the other day to get a tire, and on the clearnce table, they had a 110 linked DID ZVM2!!!!!!!!

For $40 dollars brand new, I didnt need a chain, but that was too good to pass up. Do you know what it costs to buy a DID ZVM2?

That was over $100 in savings minimum, I dont even think you can find one for less than $160

• 3 weeks later...

I ran one summer with a 16 on the front! Made a diff in pickup I could tell based on racing the kid...but anyway, It worked nice, a few hundred more revs on highway didnt bother anything, but it ate my chain up way to fast! No more of that, will go up on rear next time I care.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I ran one summer with a 16 on the front! Made a diff in pickup I could tell based on racing the kid...but anyway, It worked nice, a few hundred more revs on highway didnt bother anything, but it ate my chain up way to fast! No more of that, will go up on rear next time I care.

Nearing 30K on my 16/43 combo. No signs of replacement yet despite the rain, and dirt roads. Will replace with same.

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all that need more acceleration must not have a smaller bike to ride around on sometimes. :)

After riding around on a Ninja 250R for a while, getting on the VFR is like mounting up on a jet-powered rocket sled!

That said, stock 16/43 for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

when Seb and Keith saved me with parts for my Tmac parking lot chain and sprockets fix, I definitely wasn't asking any questions. Turns out the front sprocket was a 15!!!!. I never counted the teeth on the back, but it is now geared very low. (Like 7000 rpm cruising on the highway low) I even did an inadvertent wheelie exiting a corner at Deals Gap.

I loved it on the twisties down there, but work is 30 miles each way on the interstate, so I gotta go back to stock.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had a 15/43 (1 down up front stock rear 520 conversion DID kit ) for the past year or two. I put about 30,000ish miles on it. The chain and front sprocket were okay, but the rear sprocket wore out. Any ways I loved that combo so much that I ordered another one and I picked up an additional 46 tooth aluminum rear for the drag strip. The 15/46 is an absurd combination. I ran a 10.9 at 126 last Saturday fighting wheelies through the first three gears. Power wheelies in second gear are now effortless, but highway commuting in vtec gets old really quick, so I usually swap the 43 tooth rear back in within a week or two after drag racing.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Over 35K on the 16/43 now. Couple of stiff-ish links, but the sprocket wear is minimal. I'll probably replace it soon with the same setup (DID gold x-ring/Superlite steels). It'll be interesting to see the pin wear on this chain when I cut it up. It has been a trooper.

• Member Contributer

I went from 43T to 45T on rear and did not have to add any chain links. '07 VFR. Made the bike more rideable for me. Before the switch, I was stalling or slow to take off from start. I felt the stock gearing was too tall. You will never know unless you change it.

• Like 2

I went from 43T to 45T on rear and did not have to add any chain links. '07 VFR. Made the bike more rideable for me. Before the switch, I was stalling or slow to take off from start. I felt the stock gearing was too tall. You will never know unless you change it.

I took a quick spin around the block today with the +2 rear and will be keeping it to say the least. I agree with MisterBill here- its much more ridable! Before I felt like under 7krpm was just the boring wait for the 7+ surge but now I can mob around town below 7k and still get good acceleration and enjoyment. Its much easier going from a stop, and I actually thought it was easier rev matching downshifting while trial braking.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

My 1999 is at 24000 miles and i believe still has original chain and sprockets. I just received new parts from sprocketcenter.com and am switching to 17/45, mostly because my wife is talking about riding with me more, and it was, as someone mentioned, relatively easy to stall. sprocketcenter says they provide the right size chain, but it came with 110 links, even though several people are running this combo with 108. I will see if I have to remove links when I install it, which hopefully will be soon.

• Member Contributer

I went with the stock gearing and just ordered mine this past Wednesday but the sprockets turned out to be on back order! Found out today when I called to see why they haven't arrived yet.