Sprocket Sizes - Decisions Decisions

phoenixfire

What sprocket configuration do you ride?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What type of sprocket configuration do you ride?

Hi all,

Can you share your experience with modifying your sprocket sizings.

It's time for a new chain and I figured I might want to try a different sizing on the sprockets.

I'm plagued by the fact that I want it all -

Higher acceleration would be nice as I do a lot of city riding and having some extra 'umph' in 1st would be great.

However, I also do a lot of touring - and having lower revs cruising at highway speeds, and also better gas mileage, also appeals to me.

I'm riding a 99 where the stock is 17 F / 43 R.

Has anyone ever tried going lower in the rear and/or higher in the front to lower those revs?

Edited by phoenixfire

• Member Contributer

I went with a 45 tooth rear sprocket, and stayed with the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket. I didn't go smaller in the front as I didn't want to increase angular velocity of the chain. That increased acceleration and I do like it.

My RPM at 75 mph went from 5500 to almost 5900. The odometer was dead on before the change and now is off by about 4%. Speedometer is waaaay off, probably about 15%.

I installed a bicycle computer so I can see my correct speed. All in all, I think it was worth it.

Also I do have an 18 tooth countershaft sprocket that I tried out and really didn't like it. I never really noticed any increase in mileage but there was a lot more stress on the clutch due to the higher gearing. First gear is pretty high anyway and adding another tooth in front exacerbates the slipping to get started. Plus you have to downshift one or two gears to get passed a car in a hurry, if necessary.

I tried a -1 front sprocket and was always looking for seventh gear.

I have since gone back to stock.

If you don't want to go too far on the gearing, try a +1 or +2 on the back.

You can get steel rear sprockets up to 45t no problem. Don't go aluminum, they don't last.

If I could get a steel rear in a 46t, I would, and couple that with an 18t front, for stock gearing but longer chain/sprocket life.

• Member Contributer

Went -1 on the front, and it's the second best mod I've done to the bike (#1 would be the Penske 8987). The bike is much better in the tight stuff now, and is right around 5-6K when on the highway. Dropped the MPG a bit, but I'll gladly live with sub 40 avg. MPG since I don't spend a lot of time in a straight line.

Don't be too scared about going smaller on the front. VTEC came with a 16T front from the factory.

I went -1, +1 on my bike and I love it. If mpg were my goal, I'd own a scooter. Seriously, what's a few mpg going to do for you? Still better than driving just about any car...

• Like 2

I put an 18 tooth on the front and stock 43 on the back on my '99. My goal was lower RPM's at 70+mph. I am happy with the results. I turn about 5K RPM at 70mph. The speedo is dead on as compared to a GPS. The odometer is gonna read about 6% low, not a biggee. I used a stock 108 link chain in Mr. T. gold. It is this one: DID 530ZVMX

I like my results. I don't like turning a lot of RPM's at highway speeds. The bike still has plenty of go. I have no problem starting in 1st gear or passing.

Hope this helps.

IG

I also went one tooth larger in the front and found that there are several advantages to it. Engine speed at 70 mph was dropped about 500 rpm, though mpg did not change noticeably. The best side effect is that now the speedometer is spot-on accurate. My odometer now reads 2.6% low. (yeah I know but I was on a very long road trip)

• Member Contributer

I went with the 17/43 due to the high amount of highway mileage I do. An added bonus is that with this ratio, the bikes speedo is now spot on with a GPS.

There is enough grunt in first gear me, not being a squid, and a lower gear and revs will make up for the gearing.

"I went with a 45 tooth rear sprocket, and stayed with the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket. I didn't go smaller in the front as I didn't want to increase angular velocity of the chain. That increased acceleration and I do like it."

How many links do you need in your chain for this configuration? I know 108 links is stock for 17/43 - if you go +2 in the rear do you need more links?

• Member Contributer

I had gone +2 in the rear a few years ago but am now back to stock 17/43 gearing...I don't know why, i guess because you can always downshift (except first) and I do have to slab to decent roads so the buzziness of +2 in the rear was little bit of a pain.

• Like 1

For a commuter bike without any long trips 17/50 is the best for me!

With this gearing you can almost imagine you are on a moto gp bike :tour:

Edited by RC36R

15 front/43 rear 520 conversion with D.I.D. X-ring ... did it for a trackday and will leave it this way until it wears out ... I'm also searching for 7th gear frequently :rolleyes: ...

ACE

I went with 16/43.

I had finally decided on going 17/45 - however, finding a 45 rear sprocket in Canada is difficult. Since I needed to change the chain soon, I went with 16/43.

So far I LOVE the torque pulling off from the line. I ride with a passenger quite a bit and having that extra power in first helps a lot.

Highway riding thus far is okay - the higher revs don't bug me as much as I thought they would and gas mileage hasn't really changed.

The one downfall I've found is having to switch gears almost 1/3 more often. I feel like I'm back on my Ninja 250 at times.

I think 17/45 will be perfect. I'm going to take my time and find a 45 tooth rear and revisit this post then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Id actually prefer first gear taller(its only good to about 60 mph), gearing it down just makes it useless for most purposes, and making the back wheel break loose easier in wet conditions.

Not me, I use 1st gear mainly for pulling away from a stop. Lower gearing makes that easier on the clutch, especially with two people up an incline. Taller 1st gear makes very slow traffic a real PIA, not to mention a clutch killer.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

16/43 for me. I went with a OEM VTEC front sprocket on a 5th gen and LOVE it! Power & pull down low and not a noticeable negative difference on highway or mileage.

Id actually prefer first gear taller(its only good to about 60 mph), gearing it down just makes it useless for most purposes, and making the back wheel break loose easier in wet conditions.

Not me, I use 1st gear mainly for pulling away from a stop. Lower gearing makes that easier on the clutch, especially with two people up an incline. Taller 1st gear makes very slow traffic a real PIA, not to mention a clutch killer.

Yeah, I have no use for two up riding, so I can see in your case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm really happy with the 17-45.

I just ordered the 17/45 combo. After they have been installed, I'll report back with my impressions...

OK, the 17/45 combo have been installed for about a month now and the verdict is in. I love it! It gave me a noticeable boost of torque in the lower gears. I used to have to ride the clutch up my driveway, and now I can just leave the clutch engaged until the very top when it's time to stop. The front wheel will come up in first on full throttle acceleration, where it didn't with the original set up. Relaxed first gear starts are much easier on the clutch.

Hwy speeds around my location were about 75mph (according to my speedo) before the change, and now my speedometer reads 80mph to keep up with the flow of traffic. So, that is about right for the calculated gearing change. The few radar/speed-check trailers that I have passed indicate that my speedometer now reads about 8mph fast at 50mph (the radar indicates 50 and the speedo says 58). I haven't had anyone pace me at Hwy speeds, but my guesstimation would be that the speedo is reading about 10mph fast at around 75-80 actual speed.

I have only observed about a 3 or 4mpg reduction in fuel economy. (This is based on actual distance traveled, not the skewed speedometer/odometer readings.) I can live with that trade-off. The increase in torque and performance is well worth it!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I noticed absolutely no one runs 16/44...As it applies to a 6th gen (16/43 stock), why not? Not enough of a difference?