Thoughts about the VFR 1200 power restrictions 1st & 2nd gear.

• Member Contributer

Hey guy's, I was wondering if it is possible to fool the ECU on the 1200, the same way you can the 2002-2009 800 (sixth gen) by turning the key on, to pressure up the FI then turn it off. Then turn it on again, and before the boot-up sequence is complete... (I.E. the engine light goes out) Try and start the engine, I know the sixth gen will default to a generic map, does anyone know if the VFR 1200 will do the same thing? If so, then maybe it will bypass the power restriction in 1st and 2nd gear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Bazzaz. The Z-Bomb is what you need.

I did read that thread, I actually like having the gear position indicator... So, I don't want to go that route. The way I understand it, is you loose that function.

You are correct. I actually feel the same way. I like the gear indicator....but the first ride with the Bazzaz unit made the 1&2 gear indication a VERY small issue. It makes that much difference. At least for me.

Uh, I wouldn't want to do it that way, but you can try it. The Z-Bomb works very well and you'll develop a mental way to know your gear in 1 - 3. It's truly not a big deal. This is the only bike I've owned (out of nearly 20 bikes) with a gear indicator. I can survive without it. Z-Bomb is well worth it. All that being said, I would like to get my bike to an ECUnleashed shop to totally reprogram the ECU. There are two in MI now. :smile:

Ride Safe

Mark

I just did mine on the gps harness manually so its 5-n-6-3-4-5-6. Feels better to me than 3-n-3-3-4-5-6. The gps harness is only a 60 dollar part so if i have to replace it bfd.

I dont see why bazazz didnt do it the same way. It wouldnt have cost them any more. Or you could get a bazazz harness and just fix it to not have 3 3rds in a row in a couple of minutes.

• Member Contributer

Uh, I wouldn't want to do it that way, but you can try it. The Z-Bomb works very well and you'll develop a mental way to know your gear in 1 - 3. It's truly not a big deal. This is the only bike I've owned (out of nearly 20 bikes) with a gear indicator. I can survive without it. Z-Bomb is well worth it. All that being said, I would like to get my bike to an ECUnleashed shop to totally reprogram the ECU. There are two in MI now. :smile:

Ride Safe

Mark

Really, how do you find them? Are there any in California?

I just did mine on the gps harness manually so its 5-n-6-3-4-5-6. Feels better to me than 3-n-3-3-4-5-6. The gps harness is only a 60 dollar part so if i have to replace it bfd.

I dont see why bazazz didnt do it the same way. It wouldnt have cost them any more. Or you could get a bazazz harness and just fix it to not have 3 3rds in a row in a couple of minutes.

Tin, I have the z-bomb. How would I alter the harness to get the 5-n-6-3-4-5-6 indication you mention?

Tin, I have the z-bomb. How would I alter the harness to get the 5-n-6-3-4-5-6 indication you mention?

I would be interested in this too. As the 3n33456 kept me on the fence with the z-bomb. I could live with 5-n-6-3-4-5-6.

I dont know the colors of wires for the bazazz harness but they should be traceable from the gps and main harness colors. Seems like a lot of extra wire length on those bazazz modules for a jumper harness. I like the 5N63456 setup. In the first couple of days my mind was automatically registering 5 and 6 at under 30mph as 1 and 2.

BAZAZZ.jpg

Hey guy's, I was wondering if it is possible to fool the ECU on the 1200, the same way you can the 2002-2009 800 (sixth gen) by turning the key on, to pressure up the FI then turn it off. Then turn it on again, and before the boot-up sequence is complete... (I.E. the engine light goes out) Try and start the engine, I know the sixth gen will default to a generic map, does anyone know if the VFR 1200 will do the same thing? If so, then maybe it will bypass the power restriction in 1st and 2nd gear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

So I tried this on my DCT for the commute home today and, although it may just be a placebo effect, it seemed to work. There seemed to be a lot more responsiveness in 1st and 2nd. I will have to try this a little more scientifically on the weekend.

Ride Safe

Mark

Go to ECUnleashed website and search under the dealer tab for tuning centers. The "two" in Michigan is actually one dealer with two locations in West Michigan. I may look them up the next time I visit my folks. Good luck.

Oh, I like the 5-N-6-3-4-5-6 set up. Good idea.

Ride safe all.

• Member Contributer

Ride Safe

Mark

Go to ECUnleashed website and search under the dealer tab for tuning centers. The "two" in Michigan is actually one dealer with two locations in West Michigan. I may look them up the next time I visit my folks. Good luck.

Oh, I like the 5-N-6-3-4-5-6 set up. Good idea.

Ride safe all.

Mark, do you know if they have done any VFR1200's? I would be interested to know how they work and what actually changes.

I called the dealer in West MI today and they said they needed to give ECUnleashed a call for Honda's. Oddly enough, Honda makes it more difficult than other brands. Go figure. I will post up when I get some answers. In the meantime, if anyone else could give their "local" ECUnleashed tuning center a call, that would be good. If just one of us can get this done, they will have a master to work from and make it easier for all.........I think. Ride safe.

Mark

• Member Contributer

Here's an alternate perspective or theory on the power restriction in 1st and 2nd: The degree to which the actual throttle is restricted (and therefore HP output) below 5K rpm is a function of the rate at which the grip throttle is opened. I make the distinction between actual and grip throttle because of the VFR's throttle by wire. The tendency to spin up the rear wheel is partly a function of the time rate of change at which HP is delivered to the wheel, e.g. if a 30 HP change is delivered over a 1 second interval, the tire contact patch endures much greater acceleration forces than the same 30 HP change applied over say a 3 second interval. Obviously a lessor acceleration force will help prevent traction loss which is the assumed purpose of the flat spot.

Most dyno runs are made with the grip throttle whacked open at low rpm's and held until redline is reached. Doing this in 1st or 2nd gear triggers the drop out in power. I would be very curious to know if the flat spot is reduced or eliminated outright if the grip throttle is rolled on gradually. My seat of the pants experience seems to confirm this. When I do a gradual roll-on instead of a ham fisted opening, the flat spot feels absent and acceleration is linear. But in the same situation with a ham fisted opening, the engine deliberately falls flat until the magic 5K rpm. I've found that managing the throttle in this manner almost makes the flat spot a non-issue for me. Try it and see if it works for you.

• Member Contributer

Here's an alternate perspective or theory on the power restriction in 1st and 2nd: The degree to which the actual throttle is restricted (and therefore HP output) below 5K rpm is a function of the rate at which the grip throttle is opened. I make the distinction between actual and grip throttle because of the VFR's throttle by wire. The tendency to spin up the rear wheel is partly a function of the time rate of change at which HP is delivered to the wheel, e.g. if a 30 HP change is delivered over a 1 second interval, the tire contact patch endures much greater acceleration forces than the same 30 HP change applied over say a 3 second interval. Obviously a lessor acceleration force will help prevent traction loss which is the assumed purpose of the flat spot.

Most dyno runs are made with the grip throttle whacked open at low rpm's and held until redline is reached. Doing this in 1st or 2nd gear triggers the drop out in power. I would be very curious to know if the flat spot is reduced or eliminated outright if the grip throttle is rolled on gradually. My seat of the pants experience seems to confirm this. When I do a gradual roll-on instead of a ham fisted opening, the flat spot feels absent and acceleration is linear. But in the same situation with a ham fisted opening, the engine deliberately falls flat until the magic 5K rpm. I've found that managing the throttle in this manner almost makes the flat spot a non-issue for me. Try it and see if it works for you.

I've done the hot-wire fix and have a reasonably accurate sphincter dynomometer...

My thoughts were always that the ECU FI map for the engine was actually different in 1st and 2nd. Part of my assumption is based on the fact in 1st and 2nd as stock, the flappy valve in the muffler won't open until 6k RPM IIRC... in 3rd (3rd gear indicated, though this is now 1st gear in reality on my machine) the flappy valve pops at 4k RPM therefore giving higher flow at a lower RPM limit. In my automotive experience at least a throttle-by-wire system just is effectively a reostadt to a solenoid with several failsafes set in to prevent un-intentional "pinning" of the fuel. I don't think it's based on speed of throttle opening... but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was.

Take with a grain of a salt as I'm not a Honda engineer, but my intuition and butt think this is the case.

-Jon

snip

Part of my assumption is based on the fact in 1st and 2nd as stock, the flappy valve in the muffler won't open until 6k RPM IIRC... in 3rd (3rd gear indicated, though this is now 1st gear in reality on my machine) the flappy valve pops at 4k RPM therefore giving higher flow at a lower RPM limit.

snip

I'm not so sure that's fact. My muffler flapper opens around 3600 rpm in every gear consistently.

• Member Contributer

snip

Part of my assumption is based on the fact in 1st and 2nd as stock, the flappy valve in the muffler won't open until 6k RPM IIRC... in 3rd (3rd gear indicated, though this is now 1st gear in reality on my machine) the flappy valve pops at 4k RPM therefore giving higher flow at a lower RPM limit.

snip

I'm not so sure that's fact. My muffler flapper opens around 3600 rpm in every gear consistently.

I should say my bike is a 1200F manual shift...

I could swear it was 6k in 1st and 2nd it opened... I haven't had a flapper since I got the new slip-on, but I think I remember having to strangle it for the open sounds down low.

Maybe my memory is going. It wouldn't be the first time I've been mistaken!

• 2 weeks later...

Bazzaz. The Z-Bomb is what you need.

I did read that thread, I actually like having the gear position indicator... So, I don't want to go that route. The way I understand it, is you loose that function.

Dude, the 1200 is a bike that can totally be ridden by feel in the first three gears where the Z-Bomb reflects 3 instead of 1,2, Most of us started riding bikes when we didn't even know what the hell a gear position indicator was anyway. Buy the Z-Bomb and wring yor VFR out to your hearts content.

• Member Contributer

Hey guy's I talked to ECUunleashed and they said at the current time, they don't have anything for the VFR1200. I was able to confirm the the power restriction in 1st and 2nd gear is related to how fast you open the throttle. If you slowly roll on the throttle there is no loss of power however when the throttle is quickly opened there is a noticeable reduction in power. FWIW I to have removed the cable on the flapper exhaust valve. I have also been testing my theory on the bootup sequence during startup and it does seem to help, but not completely removing the power restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I make do without the gear indicator in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In 2nd gear the revs match the mph almost exactly and in 3rd and 1st gear that don't. If you confuse 1st and 3rd then you really do have a problem :)

The bikes only got 2 gears anyway, the correct one and the wrong one :)

Peter

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2012 at 10:54 AM, TiN said:

I dont know the colors of wires for the bazazz harness but they should be traceable from the gps and main harness colors. Seems like a lot of extra wire length on those bazazz modules for a jumper harness. I like the 5N63456 setup. In the first couple of days my mind was automatically registering 5 and 6 at under 30mph as 1 and 2.

Thanks for posting the 5N63456 setup , great idea!  I'm going to do this and may even consider wiring in a toggle switch to go back and forth between stock setup and derestricted setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Send ECU to Guhl motors for $375 he will make your bike fly and gear indicator works the right way. He does not drill the ECU so it’s sealed up. Takes the rev limiter up 500rpms and takes the speed limiter out. Can get timing better and fuel ratio perfect. Check out his website and check YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I thought about Bazzaaz but the idea of having a crash and the insurance company denying responsibility because of this modification was not appealing. Notice that Bazzaaz clearly says that this is not for open road use.

Archived