Ride Routes During Summit

• Member Contributer

Has anyone put together any ride routes for the day rides during the Summit? Casual/Scenic and sporty routes?

• Forum CEO

Didit said he has something planned with lunches included. I have no idea what that is but I will probably just take a group out on a play it by ear run, like minded and pace oriented riders - well you know the pace I ride, a bit fast but not racer fast.

• Member Contributer

Yes, I have day routes all laid out. Just waiting to hear back regarding lunch spots on each one.

There will be maps provided for each route, to each rider with sign up boards as well, located at the HQ.

Just trying to confirm some of the last details, possible photographer on the routes, posters and such.

Be patient and give me one more week to finish things up. Here are links to the 3 options. 1 is a little longer for those wanting to take a big ride.

Option A: http://goo.gl/maps/Ud3WH

Option B: http://goo.gl/maps/fFCE

Option C: http://goo.gl/maps/EpgQ

If anyone has something to alter, ad, say, suggest or comment on, please do it QUICKLY. Getting the maps printed, laminated and posterized takes time.

Just remember, Thursday night's dinner will be around 6PM, so you'll want plenty of time to get back and enjoy.

If you can hold off and take the 'play it by ear' run on the Friday?

• Member Contributer

route b is on dirt roads montrose to redvale, suggest reroute 145 to 62 to ridgway thats paved and dallas divide is super scenic.

Updated, thanks for the tip!

• Member Contributer

Great routes you put together. I've ridden all the roads on Route 1 (A) and 2 (B). All excellent roads (some of the best riding and scenery in the country). And I will enjoy riding them again.

But I've definitely got to try to do Ride 3 ©. It is a longer day than the others (408 miles), but I haven't done hwy 133, hwy 82 or hwy 92 and I've believe HS says hwy 92 is one of the best.

Looking forward to the event.

Later,

Mark (ki-speed)

• Member Contributer

I would recommend those thinking of Option C/3, to do it on the Wed. Wouldn't want riders getting back too late on Thursday.

• Member Contributer

I would recommend those thinking of Option C/3, to do it on the Wed. Wouldn't want riders getting back too late on Thursday.

Also, maybe Option C/3 can leave first (earlier) in the morning since it is approx. 100 miles longer than the other two.

Mark

• Member Contributer

Great routes you put together. I've ridden all the roads on Route 1 (A) and 2 (B). All excellent roads (some of the best riding and scenery in the country). And I will enjoy riding them again.

But I've definitely got to try to do Ride 3 ©. It is a longer day than the others (408 miles), but I haven't done hwy 133, hwy 82 or hwy 92 and I've believe HS says hwy 92 is one of the best.

Looking forward to the event.

Later,

Mark (ki-speed)

Thanks to Miguel after Dillion meet in 09 for suggesting hwy 92, that was one of my favorite rds in Colorado a must do. Montrose is to close not to. If some didn’t want to do the whole rout you could do a shorter loop with 92 a few different options up 65 through Cedaredge through grand mesa or even a shorter loop without, either way i hope everyone gets a chance to ride 92 :smile:

didit... Excellent routes. Only add to the above I have is for option A, and that is to ride it clockwise. The Million Dollar section from Ouray to Silverton will be in the morning, and this will lessen the chance you are in a slow parade of vehicles with terrified drivers. The earlier the departure, the better. Plus, this clockwise direction gives the rider stupendous views riding north up the western leg of this San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway. When riding south on this side, much of the special nature of this ride is in the mirrors. You may have already planned this, but just mentioning it fwiw.

Steve

On route C, you might consider going Montrose to Blue Mesa dam on HWY 50, eliminating the Montrose-Delta-Hotchkiss stretch. Better roads, and shorter. Whether going clockwise or cclockwise, it'll work out just fine.

• Member Contributer

sfarson; thanks for the comments. Yes, the plan would be like you suggested - that's how we went in '09 and avoiding traffic is agreed. Also, once down along Mancos, watching for cops is a big thing too, but we 'don't condone, support or recognize anyone exceeding the speed limit' :wink:

Buzzard60; route changed, thanks. I just didn't want this ride to miss out on the Black Canyon. Again, I would suggest to go clockwise on this one (left at the dam) so as to hit the twistys in the morning while everyone is fresh and raring to go. By the end of the day, there may be more traffic and fatigue - with a stronger desire to get back to the hotel for some re-hydration.

I'm just finishing off the itinerary and will have that out to everyone soon. Still working on the logistics for the 'fly by' video, probably shooting for Thursday morning.

Really hoping everyone pays attention this time and we can pull off a great one.

• Member Contributer

PS DIDIT can you pass along the Tyre files so i can upload them :)

Also route 3 has a mistake just south of carbondale. (left turn tony) :)

• Member Contributer

PS DIDIT can you pass along the Tyre files so i can upload them :)

Also route 3 has a mistake just south of carbondale. (left turn tony) :)

Thanks for noticing. Fixed the little glitch. Yes, once I finish the routing I'll send over the tyre files.

Just confirmed lunch for the Million Dollar Hwy route. Checkout Carver Brewing Co. for menu choices and such.

I know this is kind of late, but I thought I would mention: As for a long loop, the route Montrose-Lake City-Creede-Southfork-Durango-Montrose is a good one. Lots of twisty roads, scenic, and Durango is about the only traffic jam. Looks to be about 390 miles, seven and a half hours (at the speed limit). Good resturants in Pagosa Springs. I don't know if I can comfortably make this loop in a day anymore, arthritis in the hands, but after a couple of Aleve, I'd go for it. As for the lateness of this post, we'll just have to discuss it over a beer.

• Member Contributer

I know this is kind of late, but I thought I would mention: As for a long loop, the route Montrose-Lake City-Creede-Southfork-Durango-Montrose is a good one. Lots of twisty roads, scenic, and Durango is about the only traffic jam. Looks to be about 390 miles, seven and a half hours (at the speed limit). Good resturants in Pagosa Springs. I don't know if I can comfortably make this loop in a day anymore, arthritis in the hands, but after a couple of Aleve, I'd go for it. As for the lateness of this post, we'll just have to discuss it over a beer.

Looks like a great ride! So many great roads and only 2 days to get busy. That could be an option for anyone looking to stay over Friday for more riding.

• Forum CEO

Everybody please test your charging system before you leave, I cant tell you how many times I have had a friend on the side of the road or even in front of my house with a dead bike! VFRS Achilles heel is the charging system! Change oil, make sure your tires are good, and the chain is in good condition! It must be at least 8 guys I know on vfrs had a charging system failure on a trip.

• Member Contributer

Everybody please test your charging system before you leave, I cant tell you how many times I have had a friend on the side of the road or even in front of my house with a dead bike! VFRS Achilles heel is the charging system! Change oil, make sure your tires are good, and the chain is in good condition! It must be at least 8 guys I know on vfrs had a charging system failure on a trip.

I took it a step further on the electrics - removed the battery, took it to Batteries Plus and had them do a load test with a carbon pile load tester - it held the CCA's at over 10 volts for 15 seconds. He told me "you're good to go - this battery's in great shape". Cost was $0.

• Member Contributer

My new rear tire came in today.I'll mount and balance it tomorrow and do an oil change.

HS you really didn't have to post that about electrical systems did you?My bikes an 03 and I'm still on the original battery.I keep it on a tender when not riding.I don't run any accessories.

• Member Contributer

My new front tire, Pirelli Diablo, came yesterday. I'll be moving my old 01's back wheel/tire to the youngster. Still good rubber left after T-Mac.

• Member Contributer

I'd love to join you but not on my current bike.

Have fun and ride safe!

Next year will be your year Mikey. We'll be railin' together to T-Mac with you on your future VFR.

Safe riding to you.

Archived