K&N Air filter replacement for a 6th gen

FrankoQ

pretty easy but here are some pics

new K&N filter and the manual on the ipad.

DSC01589.jpg

remove these 2 bolts to lift the tank. get the tool ready to hold the tank up.

DSC01591.jpg

the tank is up. phillips screw driver to remove the cover.

DSC01592.jpg

Remember to remove the "o" ring from the air filter cover.

DSC01594.jpg

here is the new filter. install it and put the cover back on.

DSC01595.jpg

screw cover, tight the tank bolts and you are done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just recieved my EMGO OEM airfilter, Identical to OEM ,even has the back fire screen.

$25 shipped, a Great deal for OEM filter 91170

And just where can the unenlightened purchase this Emgo filter for that price?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Please don't laugh me off the board, but I completed my first oil change last week without taking it to the dealer - the project this week is a new air filter. I have the service manual and even with this thread I am still stumped. I have the tank up, the four screws removed, but I cannot, for the l I've of me, figure out how to get the air filter cover off. Anyone have a good tip or pics - there has to be some kind of secret that I'm missing....... Thanks for helping a non-mechanically inclined guy try to do a little of his own maintenance.

• Member Contributer

Please don't laugh me off the board, but I completed my first oil change last week without taking it to the dealer - the project this week is a new air filter. I have the service manual and even with this thread I am still stumped. I have the tank up, the four screws removed, but I cannot, for the l I've of me, figure out how to get the air filter cover off. Anyone have a good tip or pics - there has to be some kind of secret that I'm missing....... Thanks for helping a non-mechanically inclined guy try to do a little of his own maintenance.

Look again.

Remove the rest of the screws and it will lift off.

I think there is a total of 7 screws, 3 of which are not as easy to get to.

Kind of toward the rear of the filter housing.

Addendum: The pictures in the first post show the screw locations.

• Member Contributer

Thank you all! Yup, after I took off the other 3, things were much easier! And man did my filter look dirty! Thanks again.

So.....

Did you replace it with OEM, EMGO or K&N?

• Member Contributer

I replaced with the EMGO. With my lack of skills, I would rather just replace rather than clean the k&n. Now that the air filter is done, next project will be brake pads. Time to start reading through the forum. Funny how after owning my bike for 5 years, I finally have enough confidence to try some of this maintenance. I appreciate all the work everyone puts into sharing their experiences, without this forum,I would never have the confidence to try. Thank you all!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, very new to this site. I've been reading with interest the subject of oil changes which I'm convinced I'll go the synthetic route. My 800 is just over 2 years old and in effect the warrenty has expired. So it's self servcing time!

Question: I had some Staintunes fitted and a K&N air filter at the same time, is the K&N air filter designed to be washed and used again?

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the K&N is designed to be washed and re-oiled. They make a convenient "Recharger Kit" that includes a jug of oil and cleaner.

kn_99-5000.jpg

Thanks for that, just realised I don't have to clean until 50,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just replaced the OEM air filter by BikeMaster filter.

Removing the OEM without any issue, but when install the Bike Master filter, I found difficult to get the edge of the filter to be fit/aligned with the cover and the filter housing. I did expect some kind of "click" sound when three parts fit together, but the rubber part of the filter seems too soft, it kept misaligned.

The filter part which toward the rear is a bit easier to adjust, but the part toward the front, there is no room, no gap from the filter to the frame, so I could not adjust.

Any idea, pls.

NOte to self , dont buy BIKE MASTER

Doesnt sound like its an exact oem fitment/replacement, maybe its like the K&n, you have to remove the standard OEM gasket for it to work right.

Oops... Never seen such recommendation. Actually I asked for a K&N or a BMC but I got the BikeMaster one. However, I was thinking of that 's not a bad one in comparison with the OEM air filter.

Yes, I did remove the gasket at the first place. But the problem still.

NOte to self , dont buy BIKE MASTER

Doesnt sound like its an exact oem fitment/replacement, maybe its like the K&n, you have to remove the standard OEM gasket for it to work right.

Oops... Never seen such recommendation. Actually I asked for a K&N or a BMC but I got the BikeMaster one. However, I was thinking of that 's not a bad one in comparison with the OEM air filter.

Yes, I did remove the gasket at the first place. But the problem still.

The EMGO, is the only exact OEM replacement that I know of, its Identical to OEM

• 4 months later...

I finally mounted my oem identical airfilter today, sold by EMGO, its half the price of the honda and is identical, I bet made by the same manufacturer as the Honda one(its that identical) in every way. I paid $25 shipped for the filter.