Oil change 6th gen

FrankoQ

Great tip about the foil! I also slightly loosened the filter when the engine was cold, prior to warming up the engine, made it so much easier. I've bought a K&N filter prior to reading this thread so I"m really hoping it doesn't leak. I suppose the trick is to tighten by hand and only use the spanner when removing. :smile:

The problem I have with k&n, they cost as much as oem, thats not worth the money for an aftermarket equivilant, I have no use for the nut on the filter either, so Id rather buy oem or the half price puralator motorcycle filter at pep boys.

Luckily they have a Cult like following to stay in business with their oil filters and dirt sucking airfiliters.

Edited by spud786

• Member Contributer

I used a Bosch 3323 Distance Plus from Walmart with Rotella T oil. Not cheap and a tight fit but it's filter specs are about the best you can get. I plan on leaving it on next oil change as it's supposed to hold much more crud than a regular filter. And if you're near a Sam's Club, they have a couple of different case packs of Rotella T oil for about $12 and change a gallon which is really good. I plan on picking some up.

• Member Contributer

I used a Bosch 3323 Distance Plus from Walmart with Rotella T oil. Not cheap and a tight fit but it's filter specs are about the best you can get. I plan on leaving it on next oil change as it's supposed to hold much more crud than a regular filter. And if you're near a Sam's Club, they have a couple of different case packs of Rotella T oil for about $12 and change a gallon which is really good. I plan on picking some up.

Of course Rotella T is not the same as the fully synthetic T6 that I like to use, but a good bargain. Walmart has it for $12.97 a gallon, so Sam's membership not required for the same deal...

Did you see the T6 at Sam's?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you're correct in that it's the T6 I purchased at Walmart. And I just checked the Sam's website, it's only the T they carry in case packs. I don't know when you bought it but it's $21 and change in the jug at Walmart.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you're correct in that it's the T6 I purchased at Walmart. And I just checked the Sam's website, it's only the T they carry in case packs. I don't know when you bought it but it's $21 and change in the jug at Walmart.

No, what I meant was that Walmart has the T for $12.97, not the T6

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T-15W40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958327

• 5 months later...
Guest riverlife

Thanks for the guide! I changed my oil for the first time since i got my vfr last year, the last oil change was by previous ownner. However I cam across a small problem that was not covered here, "A Stuck Filter". I believe the previous owner was a bit worried about the filter coming lose considering the following:

Apparently those 17mm caps can only withstand so much torque before letting go. Look closely at the filter, no I did not shoot at my oil can with a 22.

post-22566-0-98573800-1365770531.jpg

Becuase I no longer had a convient way to remove the filter. I next used a filter wrench. Unfortanetly the cheap rubber ones couldn't get enough grip, and the smallest metal filter wrench I had on hand was still to big. Luckly I was doing a coolant flush as well and proceed to remove some hoses, and that coffee can looking thing beside the filter to make more room to get a little more physical and personal with my VFR. I proceed with the following method for filter removal.

post-22566-0-82467300-1365768279.jpg

It took saveral good tugs and I was finally able to get the filter loose, after which I put a new Honda Filter back on.

• Member Contributer

yup, the good ol' screwdriver trick, works every time :laugh:

Remember to not overtighen your new one to avoid this. Put oil on the oring and tighten as much as you can by hand, this will be tigh enough. I tighten them by hand and they are still tough to remove.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to add X-1R ( 5%) to my bike oil. ( Triump Daytona t595 )
ALWAYS found myself VERY GOOD.

1) Markable less friction => faster revving, less heat, less noise.

2) Perfect idling

3) Fuel economy

LOVED IT

• Member Contributer

General info oil filters...

All three of those filters fit the same engine???

Yeah all three fit the VFR but the Super Tech not available any more. The Honda filter is by far superior and if you wait till fall you Ebay them and buy them for around $6.00 a piece but you might have to buy 4 or more,,

• Like 1