Oil change 6th gen

FrankoQ

Yet another thread on how to change the oil on your 6th gen.

remove left side fairing.

get her ready to bleed.

DSC01597.jpg

remove oil filler cap. get ready to remove plug 17mm socket.

DSC01598.jpg

let her bleed

DSC01601.jpg

removing filter is a pain. use strap wrench or the right oil filter cap. put rags on the pipes below cause it will drip a lot. messy messy

DSC01599.jpg

Cool K&N filter. it already comes with a 17mm top. no need for a filter wrench cap to get it tight.

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

Pour the oil about 3 quarters will do.

turn it on. check for leaks. have a drink.

All Done

Does anyone have a quickie-alternative to those crappy black push-pins that attach the lowers? I HATE those things!

Quickie, no, not so much. I have switched mine out for the BOLT variety and modified the fairing holes accordingly cause they fit quit a bit tighter. If you have compressed air at your disposal, blowing some of the crap outta those lil clips first helps removal too.

Frank, keep a close eye on that K&N, I don't know if they've fixed, or even addressed, the spot weld leakage issue yet. Several that I know of have popped in the last year, not to mention all the ones out there that I haven't heared of.

Good writeup tho!!!

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a quickie-alternative to those crappy black push-pins that attach the lowers? I HATE those things!

Zip Ties

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Nice overall writeup. I would only add a couple of things. It's always good to warm the bike up a little to warm the oil so it drains easier. I also like to take a sheet of aluminum foil and slid it over the tops of the headers so they don't get oily when you remove the oil filter. I'm not sure I would trust those K&N filters after a couple of horror stories I've heard about them.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

+1 on the aluminum foil. It saves a lot of mess. I went back to Honda filters after having a K&N leak for no apparent reason. The nut was sure convenient though.

• Like 1

Nice write-up, but I have to say I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the 6th gen plastic body pins. Once you know how to use them they beat any of the screw types for ease of use and reuse.

• Member Contributer

Nice write-up, but I have to say I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the 6th gen plastic body pins. Once you know how to use them they beat any of the screw types for ease of use and reuse.

Agreed!!!

Use a golf tee to push-in (release) those 6th gen plastic body pins. So quick and easy.

Mark

• Member Contributer

one thing about the tightening of the filter....

I've always applied a thin coat of oil on the o-ring and then tightened the filter by hand, noithing more. It's more then enough and makes removing it less of a pain.

• Like 1

Nice overall writeup. I would only add a couple of things. It's always good to warm the bike up a little to warm the oil so it drains easier. I also like to take a sheet of aluminum foil and slid it over the tops of the headers so they don't get oily when you remove the oil filter. I'm not sure I would trust those K&N filters after a couple of horror stories I've heard about them.

Rollin

Good points. I did get a lot of oil spilled on the headers when removing the filter.

Thanks for the warning about the K&N filter. I hope this one holds until the next oil change.

• Member Contributer

Zip Ties

Rollin

+1 0n the Zip Ties. A much more user friendly arrangement!

Mark

• Member Contributer

I can attest to the issues with K&N spot welds. I have had exactly two K&N filters on a VFR and both of them had issues. To be fair the second one only had a small drip, but the experience last year that involved a tow truck has them very low on my list of preferred filters. I don't like to see my bike bleeding.

Zip Ties

Rollin

Great tip! Thanks.

I have come round on the plastic clips. When you know how to release them they do the job beautifully. I did not know how to release them at first and broke a couple learning. Now, all good. My bitch about them is the price. I found some at NAPA that fit the holes but use a phillips head style core to open and close, but, they are drag to get out. How do Zip ties work as substitutes?

I use some Gm press in plugs, kinda of the same idea, but they simply push in and push out, no complicated fidding, I got them at autozone

#961-075 they work Great ,espeically in an area not really seen, they do get alittle cranky with dirt and mud on them. But Ive never had to change them out from wear.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I have replaced the 2 lower ones with a captive nut and screws. I ordered a few of these too.

http://www.wiremybike.com/index.php?cPath=44

they sell the steering head powerlet plug kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

+1 on the K&N, I had one start leaking in the middle of a 6200km road trip last week (filter had been on for 5800km, installed it during pre-winterization oil change in Dec 2011). Not bad enough that I couldn't drive 200km to the dealer for a fix, but sprayed oil all over my hard bags and my riding buddy's bike. Mechanic told me it was leaking out the "top" ie where the spot welds are. Back to Honda filters for me!

Walter

I can attest to the issues with K&N spot welds. I have had exactly two K&N filters on a VFR and both of them had issues. To be fair the second one only had a small drip, but the experience last year that involved a tow truck has them very low on my list of preferred filters. I don't like to see my bike bleeding.

That's crazy about the K&N filter. It's all I've used on my bike since I bought it in '07, never a problem, SO much easier to remove and install. I'd never use anything else.

+1 about those plastic pins though, I''ve never figured those things out. I opt for real screws or zipties.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

one thing about the tightening of the filter....

I've always applied a thin coat of oil on the o-ring and then tightened the filter by hand, noithing more. It's more then enough and makes removing it less of a pain.

This. If you are using a wrench to tighten an oil filter, "you're doing it wrong."

• Member Contributer

WIX filters seem to be good, SuperTech at WalMart were good, but apparently not available anymore, Mobil 1 good but too expensive, Purolator Pure One is good but awful yellow color, Bosh & Champion are also viable alternatives. I usually use the "longer" filter that just clears the header pipes, figuring I get more surface area of filter media so it might filter better longer.

One of the best tips I ever got was to loosen the fiter with the bike COLD, then warm up to operatng temp before draining and removing filter. Prevents burnt knuckles. Also I have used the METAL oil filter wrench that looks like a huge socket with great success...don't use the cheap plastic ones, they don't work. +1 (everybody knows) to lube rubber seal of filter with oil before spinning on and hand tight + 1/4 turn (YMMV). Inspect crush washer and use your torque wrench on the drain plug (29 N-m). I keep a stock of crush washers so they are easy to replace if needed.