Starter Clutch

Guest coffeebrake

Guest coffeebrake

Can anybody tell me anything about them on the VFR? My 86 vfr700 is making that grinding sound I've heard twice before: once on the Vmax when the bolts holding the starter clutch to the crank were coming loose, and then again on the Rebel 450 just before it quit working altogether. I fixed the Vmax and sold it, but the Rebel requires splitting the cases to replace the starter clutch, and they're apart now.

More often when it's hot but sometimes when it's cold, the VFR's starter clutch makes that grinding noise. Once, it wouldn't turn the motor at all and I had to bump-start it. But that only happened once.

Do I need to pull it off and clean it or something? Replace the springs?

Ha!!! I just ordered one for my '93 yesterday at the dealership. On mine, it's right inside the clutch cover on the right side of the engine. Once you get the clutch cover off you can easily tell if the starter clutch has cracked or not (for reference, check out the two on ebay right now, they are both cracked!!!!) I have two cracks in mine and, after I took it off and checked the springs I noticed that one of the springs is completely compressed all the time!!! That would explain my crunching sound when I try to start it.

Anyway, I like Bike Bandit or Cheap Cycle parts to get a quick look at an OEM parts fiche so I can see what the part is called and get a rough estimate on what I'm going to pay to replace it. I'd check one of those two sites under "Pulse Generator" since that's what Honda likes to call it. Good luck!!! Oh, my new starter clutch is about $160. Not cool.

The first one (1986 VFR700) is cracked twice. Scroll down to the pictures and look at the second picture from the bottom. Follow the circle of the starter clutch around and you will notice two cracks.

The second one (1992 VFR) is cracked once. Again, zoom into the picture and the crack in on the upper right side of the circle. Right about "North east" on a compass.

Wow, thanks, I'd have thought that was factory, the way they're equidistant from each other. I almost grabbed that clutch up too.

• Member Contributer

Hey, go with a new one. I rebuilt my 90VFR's starter clutch, ignoring the cracked housing. It will last a year or so, depending on how many starts. If I remember correctly (it was early 90s when I did it), there are three small springs and and three small metal cylinders...But then I bought the housing and re-used the year-old internals. Win.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers!

I would think it would be worth a shot since a new one is $160 (I just paid that much for one at least) and the used ones on ebay are less than $20 or $30 shipped so I guess it can't hurt. I don't weld though.

I'll weld one up if someone wants to be a guinea pig.

So if I was to pull it and found the housing not cracked, then I'd assume I needed to rebuild it-- new springs, caps and rollers. Right?

• Member Contributer

Not hard, and yes you are right, it is possible that it is only weak springs, I have done my '86 and also my '95. The '86 was 80k+ miles and the '95 was about 20k miles. Neither had a cracked basket, so on both I did the springs caps and rollers. An impact wrench is nice to get it off, I want to think I did the rag trick to hold it when I torqued it down. The biggest problem is always cleaning the old gasket off, some times getting the case cover off can be a pain on an older bike.

If it is grinding, go a head and open it up, nothing to be worried about.

Make sure you order the right starter clutch springs, for some reason there are other springs in the diagrams that make you think they are the right one, the whole starter clutch is on an odd diagram for the bike, first time I ordered the wrong springs, but it just may be me...

I asked the Ebay seller about their cracked starter clutch. They said:

we are not mechanics and don't know what the parts should look like when new, a dealer would know but if in doubt please don't buy .

thanks

- 83hurst

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I would think it would be worth a shot since a new one is $160 (I just paid that much for one at least) and the used ones on ebay are less than $20 or $30 shipped so I guess it can't hurt. I don't weld though.

I'll weld one up if someone wants to be a guinea pig.

Seb,

I will send one to you if you want to try it. I just tore down my wifes 94 Magna and it has the same problem, cracked straight through the housing. Also chattered the surface of the gear where the rollers slide around it because of the cracked housing. Since you have a lathe I figure you could smooth the gear out. I tried cleaning it up with some fine emery cloth and it is close but there are a couple of spots still there, very light, but this surface needs to be perfectly round to work right. I already ordered the parts to fix her bike so if you want to try it I will just donate them to you so if they can be fixed and someone on the forum needs one for a Magna, you can come to the rescue. It seems that every 3rd gen Magna has this problem so used starter clutches are no where to be found, and even if you do, they are usually cracked also.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't the 94 Magna use a VFR motor?

Shoot me a pm please.

Seb,

Honda used the VFR engine but made some small changes to make it more suited for a cruiser. They used a slightly different crank, 5 speed transmission, smaller carbs, and chain driven cams. It still puts out 76 hp at the wheel and 46 ft lbs of torque. I can tell you that when you roll on the throttle you better be hanging on. PM sent.

Archived