Thread For Ride Planning To / From SumSum2

• Member Contributer

Feel free to delete or move this thread if it is not in the right place....

As the last meet approached we had a thread for those traveling to the meet to band together and form common riding plans without having to hunt through all the regional area forums on the board.

I have taken it upon myself to start another thread like that.

Perhaps we can each share a rough plan of what we are hoping to do on this thread, then do a lot of the detail planning offline using PMs and emails so this thread doesn't get as cluttered as the last one.

We can then edit / update our "sections" of the thread with where we are going and who is in each group so people can start to merge their ride plans as desired.

I am pretty much wide open on my plans so far but am looking for someone to further ride around in Utah and Colorado with leading into and after the meet. I will cobble together a bit more of a rough plan on my ideas in the next few days, but until then I turn this thread over to others who might have their stuff worked out more than me at this point.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

CVVFR & I will be doing 400+ mile days to take care of the 'travel to' in hopefully 3 days (Fri/Sat/Sun), keeping the Monday as a buffer.

The plan for pre meet, getting there.

http://goo.gl/maps/Yz22

After the meet is not yet determined but in all likelihood, a run through Utah, New Mexico, possibly Arizona, Nevada, California mountain side, Oregon, Washington back to BC.

This is tentative for post meet.

http://goo.gl/maps/gEw5

• Member Contributer

On Monday 8/13 Ron (ronimalvfr) and I (ki-speed) will be taking back roads from Dallas, TX up to Raton, NM (approx. 630 mile day). Meeting-up in Raton with Gary (gswanson) and shade, both from the OKC area. Then on Tuesday 8/14 the four of us will ride from Raton to Taos, Pagosa Springs and then hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) from Durango to Montrose (approx. 400 mile day).

Have a fun and safe ride everyone.

See ya at the Summit.

Mark

• Member Contributer

I understand if your riding through Montana its not a good idea to pass state troopers on lolo pass :tongue:

Was discussing routs on the way down with Axel, going to high tail it to salt lake city and then to Montrose.

on the way back is still up for discussion, general consensus was to hit up some of Arizona maybe new mexico and Utah (Zion) no routs planned yet.

The three days in Montrose will fly by!! SumSum '09 exceeded expectations, especially on route to the meet. Leaving our vfrd friends was brutal (always is), so we'll stretch out our trip and head south for a couple of days before going home.

• Member Contributer

The three days in Montrose will fly by!! SumSum '09 exceeded expectations, especially on route to the meet. Leaving our vfrd friends was brutal (always is), so we'll stretch out our trip and head south for a couple of days before going home.

YeeHAaaawww! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I understand if your riding through Montana its not a good idea to pass state troopers on lolo pass :tongue:

Was discussing routs on the way down with Axel, going to high tail it to salt lake city and then to Montrose.

on the way back is still up for discussion, general consensus was to hit up some of Arizona maybe new mexico and Utah (Zion) no routs planned yet.

I'm NEVER going to live that one down, am I? :goofy: (It was one of Idaho's finest that pulled me over after I mistook his truck for "just a truck with a camper shell on it")

Well I rarely make the same mistake twice: I find new ones to make!

Sounds like there's a few of us doing Utah in our different riding groups..... Cool. Maybe we can cross paths somewhere? Well I hope it's a slow few night shifts at work. Gotta work out some ride routes and update my post with the details.

• Member Contributer

After the meet is not yet determined but in all likelihood, a run through Utah, New Mexico, possibly Arizona, Nevada, California mountain side, Oregon, Washington back to BC.

Spent some time peeking at your rout, Looks amazing! Especially those roads through sequoia, brings back fond memories Ponderosa to Porterville :smile:

Howdy everyone!

Well, we did a bunch of iffin' and and'in ... and we have our departure dates/route planned.

Originally, we were going to do a fun , northern loop before heading to Montrose, CO for the VFR rally/ride.

But, it really adds stress worrying about having a flat, mechanical, etc., and showing up late to the rally.

That, and we need to spend a couple of days with my elderly mom in Boise.

So we are taking a *f-a--i-r-l-y* direct route down. :^)

Here's out "exit strategy" for getting the hell out of Dodge:

Wed, 8/8: I-84 to Hood River (just to burn a little distance early in the morning), then down to Fossil, Kimberly, John Day and the back way into Boise.

Thur-Fri.: Hang with the mamoo in Boise.

Sat. 8/11: Boise, ID to Logan, UT (back roads)

Sun. 8/12: Logan to Vernal, UT (via Bear Lake and Kemmerer, WY ... beautiful area, awesome roads)

Mon. 8/13: Vernal, UT to Montrose, CO

Tues. - Fri. 8/14 - 17: Montrose, CO (VFR Summer Summit II Rally. Ride *everywhere ... Million Dollar Highway, Ouray, Telluride ... who the hell knows, eh!)

We then have have 18 days (Sept. 3 or 4) to wander/find our way back home. :^)

We plan to hit Mt. Evans (14,280'), Pikes Peak, Rocky Mt. National Park ... then haul bunners up to Custer National Park and spend several days there doing Mt. Rushmore, the Needles Highway, Chief Crazy Horse Momument. And then back homeward via Devil's Tower, Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Pass, and the northern end of Yellowstone. Then loop back homewards via Lolo Pass and Joseph and then reclutantly turn our front tires towards PDX.

Please don't hate us. <grin> :bliss::biggrin:

-- RandyB ("E-Ticket") / SusanP ("Flying Ant")

Short URL:

http://goo.gl/maps/1U5T

Long URL:

http://maps.google.c...6,7,8,9&t=m&z=6

• Member Contributer

I am leaving Phoenix early Tuesday 8/14 (5am ish) going up through Flagstaff, onto 4 corners, Cortez and then Montrose. If anyone is traveling that way let me know and perhaps we can sync up.

+eb0

(Pluseb0)

• Member Contributer

OK, I am still doing everything at the last minute (when will I ever learn?) and hammering out the last details / booking hotels, but I have it more or less figured. Was going to originally do a little bit more on the way down / back, but in the interest of keeping peace on the home front I am trailering down to Salt Lake City area, leaving I think on the 12th. (I have room for one more on the trailer, probably. PM / E-mail me if you are interested in trailering down / back to Canada.)

From SLC to Montrose on 13th, I think. Leave the meet on 17th to Chinle AZ, via Million Dollar highway and Mesa Verde. Chinle AZ to Kanab UT on 18th, seeing at least one side of the Grand Canyon. Kanab through Zion, Bryce Canyon to Hanksville on 19th. Hanksville to Moab / Arches on 20th. Moab to SLC 21st, then home to Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta on the 22nd.

So far, most of my trip is solo (other than the meet) but I do like to ride with other riders quite a bit too. I ride what most would probably consider a pretty moderate Pace, but welcome opportunities to ride together / split costs on hotels, etc if anyone is interested.

Still waiting to hear what others are doing, but possibility exists that I may hook up with other Canadian riders leaving the meet for some riding together until our routes drift apart.

Should have the hotels booked (details available) in next day or so.

Been stupid busy at work and my kids are sick at home so barely a spare moment. That's why a lot of my plans are coming together on short notice, but I am OK with fairly last minute planning if anyone else wishes to team up for some riding.

I didn't post any Google maps route on here because apparently I suck at making it work right, but I'm basically taking the back roads where possible once I get on the bike. I'm sure you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

See you all soon at the meet I hope. Safe Riding!

• Forum CEO

I am riding up with Reddog on Tuesday, after the meet who knows? I dont have to be back to work till the following Wed so I plan to ride with some of my Canadian friends for a few days after the meet, where ever they are going? If anybody is coming up through Denver or Colorado Springs we can hook up and ride in together to Montrose, I am sure I can cook up a great route there on the fly Tuesday 14th.

• Forum CEO

CVVFR & I will be doing 400+ mile days to take care of the 'travel to' in hopefully 3 days (Fri/Sat/Sun), keeping the Monday as a buffer.

The plan for pre meet, getting there.

http://goo.gl/maps/Yz22

Tony - ooh you don't want to miss this gem in Grand Junction - you have to pay $5 cause its a National Monument but its so beautiful well worth the 30 - 40 minutes extra! Its just a hop and a skip over from Douglas pass hwy 139 at Fruita.

The Colorado National Monument

Full Size

• Member Contributer

HS, are the roads paved? Is it possible to make a loop back to I 70? I'm planing on a Colorado trip soon. Thx for any info

• Forum CEO

CNM is paved the whole length, it is admin by the national park service. Yes on the Fuita side I70 is a mile away, the other side you end up off hwy 50 the road to Montrose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If anybody is coming up through Denver or Colorado Springs we can hook up and ride in together to Montrose, I am sure I can cook up a great route there on the fly Tuesday 14th.

I'll be in Denver on Monday night for the Iron Maiden concert. music-rocker-001.gif What time will you and Bill leave Colorado Springs? Or, can you suggest a time and town for me to join up with you?

Which reminds me that if anyone is coming in from the east on Sunday night, let me know. I plan on jetting across Kansas from the early AM on Monday to make my concert that evening. It'll probably be an I-70 cannonball.

• Member Contributer

Tony - ooh you don't want to miss this gem in Grand Junction - you have to pay $5 cause its a National Monument but its so beautiful well worth the 30 - 40 minutes extra! Its just a hop and a skip over from Douglas pass hwy 139 at Fruita.

The Colorado National Monument

Full Size

Route updated. Thanks for the tip, looks great!

This is killing me. I soooo wish I could come again this year but I just don't see how I could swing it. I've got 63,000 miles on my 2004 now and its ready to go to Colo and back for its third trip. New tires are on, running great. AHHGHHH!!!!

• Member Contributer

This is killing me. I soooo wish I could come again this year but I just don't see how I could swing it. I've got 63,000 miles on my 2004 now and its ready to go to Colo and back for its third trip. New tires are on, running great. AHHGHHH!!!!

Choco, nice to see you chime in. You need to swing it man! If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, help persuade?

Come on man. We'll send you straight home after, honest. I'll even start the bidding with 2 tanks of gas . . .

• Member Contributer

Choco, nice to see you chime in. You need to swing it man! If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, help persuade?

Come on man. We'll send you straight home after, honest. I'll even start the bidding with 2 tanks of gas . . .

The Captain Morgan's on me. Anyway, aren't you that famous motorcycle magazine journalist?

Hope to see you at the meet.

Mark (ki-speed)

• Member Contributer

Choco !! I'll buy you your choice of IPA after each day of riding :) You were born to ride !! Join us !!

Lee How can you refuse an offer like that!

You cant leave it me to drink all the IPA, Would be great to ride with you again. :beer:

• Member Contributer

If there's a way you can make it down to the meet that would be fantastic, Choco!

There's room at the hotel yet as there's a couple of us that were staying solo and looking for roomies for the meet to split costs of room. (Jeff and I) so far have not cancelled rooms yet.

And IPA just isn't the same without you.... :beer:

Archived