Triumph Eccentric Swap (pic heavy) (not complete)

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

Well, you could always put that shim in there like someone showed recently. Not my first choice of action though. Maybe the 1098/1198 eccentrics are larger diameter? The axles should be different diameters, so maybe the eccentrics are as well. They are a bit pricey on the ebay to just buy one and see, and it's more miss than hit on a seller that will give you dimensions.

• Member Contributer

Wow. Just realized that I never measured the diameter of the eccentric. That was only a slight 'oops'. I'll have to see about getting that size today when I stop at the house.

I did find a suggestion that the 1098/1198 eccentric is 112mm diameter. The 848 is smaller, maybe 98mm.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/143980-eccentric-hub-dimensions-single-sided-swingarms-2.html

From this CF post, it looks like the 4th gen VFR is 105mm diameter, triumph is the same, and the RC45 is 117mm. If the 5th gen is the same as the RC45, then there isn't a direct swap eccentric from what we have looked at so far.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1610978

• Member Contributer

Keith. Looks like you have to find an axle that will fit into the 5th gen eccentric correctly. I know I sent pictures showing how the VFR and one of the ducati axles won't work (I'll have to look up which one I got). I can't be too much help checking my parts as they are all buried while we finish the flooring in the attic.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

An actual update. After a few months, I finally have the last parts for the swap.

DSCF0944.jpg

Just have to set a weekend aside to machine the threads and press everything together.

• 1 year later...

Jumping back here from Mohawk's 5th Gen single-nut topic.

Around April this year I decided to get serious about my own 848 wheel mod - I'd had all the parts sitting around for two years or so, as is usual with me. I took the 848 rim, an aftermarket aluminium one-piece 848 wheel nut, the Triumph spindle and my single sided swingarm stand pin down to my machinist and for $60 he cut down and re-threaded the spindle to take the wheel and nut (he's a bike guy himself), and turned down the stand pin so it would fit nicely into the spindle.

Then took it all home and bolted it together. Result:

22712147043_bd9875d6d9_z.jpg

I haven't fitted the Triumph rear brake bracket, or checked the chain alignment, so that is next. Might need to make spacers etc. as you've been doing.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's a question for you Murray, since I don't know how it's supposed to exactly fit.

The 848 wheel is driven by the four pins. Does it also locate the wheel? When I repaired my wheel, I also had an 848 axle to test fit it, and the wheel is rock solid. No movement in any direction whatsoever. I took this as I did a good job re-cutting the holes for the pins in the right location.

But then there's the cone washer that sits against the wheel. Originally, the nut and cone were two different parts. I took this as the cone could shift a bit and settle into the wheel if it was slightly off. But then, that means that the wheel may not be perfectly concentric with the axle.

Aftermarket parts have the cone and nut as one piece, meaning the cone will push the wheel to be concentric with the axle. But if the drive pins or holes on the wheel for them are slightly off, then there will be an overconstrained condition. So are the holes for the pins supposed to be slightly loose to account for this? Or is everything really made to that good of a tolerance? How did your wheel fit up?

Yoshi, my 848 wheel just went right onto the Triumph mounting flange - I have both the Triumph 2-piece cone/nut, and an aftermarket one-piece nut, and the latter works perfectly as far as locking the wheel to the flange.

I'll have a good look at it this week and get some pics and measurements.

• Member Contributer

No pics or measurements needed, just to confirm that the wheel is supposed to fit right on the drive pins and have little to no movement on them, without putting the cone and nut on.

• 2 years later...

Oldish topic, but found it while trying to find some info about the Triumph rear wheel. Unfortunately none of the pictures posted by YoshiHNS can be seen, so perhaps someone could help.

What is the offset of the Triumph (Sprint) 3 spoke wheel? I.e. the distance from the centre plane of the rim to the hub mounting surface. All the chain driven VFRs have a -19mm offset, but what offset is the Triumph wheel?

11 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Download the photobucket fix for your browser (google it)

Already done that, but they're still not showing up. Never mind, I've gone off the Triumph idea. I'll be modding a 916 wheel to fit the NC30 axle instead.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

@BiKenG I didn't have a Triumph wheel to measure the offset. Just the loaded swingarm. Send a PM if you still need info.

Maybe I'll make it a weekend project to fix all the picture links. I'm running my own image server so they shouldn't break in the future.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2018 at 5:14 AM, BiKenG said:

Fixing picture links would be great.

So...looked through the thread. All the pictures are still there. Can you not see them?

Here's the link to the new album if that helps

https://jbunjevac14.piwigo.com/index?/category/36-vfr1cati

6 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

So...looked through the thread. All the pictures are still there. Can you not see them?

Here's the link to the new album if that helps

https://jbunjevac14.piwigo.com/index?/category/36-vfr1cati

I can see them now. That wasn't the case when I first looked. I'm poring over them now. 😀

Doesn't anyone have a Triumph wheel to measure its offset?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...