'05 VFR Fuel pump/wiring prob??

Suitcase

Got the new to me VFR out of storage today to start packing for trip west to east and back. First time I have run it in warm to hot outside temps.... previous rides were back in April and were on cold days.

Road fairly quick on #95 to Invermere, slowed then stopped at light for left turn to town, and only made it 1/2 km past the light and engine died, similar to a running out of fuel. Dead on the side of the road, checked fuel... had lots. Tried a start or two but no go. Waited a bit longer, got fuel pump buzz, then bike fired and ran fine to town. Parked it , walked away for 20 mins. came back and no start/no fuel pump buzz. By now battery was flat from attempted starts. Went away to get truck, booster cable and tools. Came back in an hour or so, battery near flat so only got one or two spins but still no fuel pump buzz no start. Then removed cowlings left n right, checked battery connections, hooked up booster cables, got good high power spins, but no fuel pump buzz. With cowlings off checked wire harness, main 30a fuse, underside of tank connections to pump and with ign on no current from harness to pump. Put it all back together ... actually made no fixes, just wiggle wires and looking, BUT keyed it on got fuel pump buzz, got ignition got it running.

Rode 10 minutes to shop, and while talking to mechanic with the engine warmed up from ride, heating up a bit from no air moving thro' the rads....while idling it quit on its own.

So my conclusion ... an intermittent HEAT/Temperature related short somewhere in system for fuel pump power.

Any wise old VFR owners out there had this problem and could direct me to some fixes ???

Howdy.

Sounds like the Blue Connector/RECALL issue. Check the blue connector under the left fairing, this is where teh front Sub-Harness plugs into the main.

Has this bike had the harness Recall work done yet?

BR

• Member Contributer

Howdy.

Sounds like the Blue Connector/RECALL issue. Check the blue connector under the left fairing, this is where teh front Sub-Harness plugs into the main.

BR

Probably should check the white connector on the right side also.

Howdy.

BR

Yes, that should be the plug to the Stator. Correct?

BR

• Member Contributer

Howdy.

BR

Yes, that should be the plug to the Stator. Correct?

BR

Yessir!

• Member Contributer

Could be your fuel pump relay or wiring around that area is dodgy.

You can test if it's your relay easily by hard-wiring it on. See my video - if it doesn't play right at the correct spot, skip to 48 seconds in and watch how I jumpered the relay connector so the fuel pump comes on and stays on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UULPQanMaSMRas5gY1JCSaog&v=d38BNhfyMeo&feature=player_detailpage#t=46s

Note that the fuel pump relay is triggered by the ECU. You can tell if the ECU is booting up by turning the ignition on and watching the FI light. It must come on for about 2-3 seconds and then turn off. If it does not come on at all, the ECU is not getting power. A common cause of this fault is the engine stop switch being dirty, although I recall the bike won't even crank with the switch off. Since yours is cranking that's probably not the problem.

The wire which you need to be most concerned about is the black/white wire. This wire is the common 12 volt feed for all fuel injection components including the ECU, and also the fuel pump relay (technically it's called the Fuel Cut Relay). When you turn the ignition key, there is a relay on the front left of the bike which activates, and the black/white wire comes out of there and goes all over the bike to various places. Always start with THAT relay (make sure it clicks) and test for 12 volts between the black/white wire and ground. Then from there you can check the ECU is getting power as well as the fuel pump relay.

Howdy.

BR

According to the documents provided by the dealer (Road Track n Trail in Wisconsin) the Factory wiring recall service was completed ... but I will tare into the wiring harness there (left side) to see whazzup_ tnx for the direction.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived