Arkansas in September - Reserve Your Spot NOW! Sep 21 through 23

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Also wanted to mention that I am currently in possession of the "Faux Flaf" for those of you who haven't signed it yet. I'll pass it along to another member that weekend.

gallery_16240_5951_824919.jpg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This is going to be my route over from Yukon, OK on Friday morning, early. Would love to have company if anyone is interested in doing some less-ridden roads in Oklahoma. I won't say "twisties" because the curves are mild compared to what awaits in Arkansas...

https://maps.google....7b231c5f7&msa=0

I'm not trying to change your mind but can't resist suggesting this route. All good roads with some really tight corners. No guarantees on gas from I-40 until you get to Jasper so I'd suggest topping off when you get to the interstate.

Full Size

Looks suspiciously to me that you stuck the "pig trail" in there.....

zomg, I can't wait.

Well, it looks like the time has come for possible route talk. I live about 2 miles from the Hub and have ridden here for many years. The routes listed are NOT the routes I would recommend for Saturday. I never do any of those routes the way they are laid out! I am not trying to be difficult but just wanting the groups experience to be as good as possible.

Remember, those routes are put together in a chamber of commerce brochure. They make sure that you travel through the towns of the sponsors...even if that means keeping you on a main highway and bybassing a great twisty road.

Again, having only one day, Saturday, makes it difficult to suggest a route. And that does not take into consideration different riding styles, paces and duration preferences. Possibly the best idea is to get together on Friday and put together some ideas in front of the map.

Speaking of Friday...will anyone be wanting to ride in the area on Friday afternoon?

• Member Contributer

Well, it looks like the time has come for possible route talk. I live about 2 miles from the Hub and have ridden here for many years. The routes listed are NOT the routes I would recommend for Saturday. I never do any of those routes the way they are laid out! I am not trying to be difficult but just wanting the groups experience to be as good as possible.

Remember, those routes are put together in a chamber of commerce brochure. They make sure that you travel through the towns of the sponsors...even if that means keeping you on a main highway and bybassing a great twisty road.

Again, having only one day, Saturday, makes it difficult to suggest a route. And that does not take into consideration different riding styles, paces and duration preferences. Possibly the best idea is to get together on Friday and put together some ideas in front of the map.

Speaking of Friday...will anyone be wanting to ride in the area on Friday afternoon?

I was thinking the same thing...I like to avoid the "recommended routes" like 7 and 23. I tend to like 16, 14, Push Mtn Rd., etc. Depending on how early I get away, I may game for a late afternoon jaunt.

P.S. I didn't come by these routes all on my own...HS and some others led some great routes last fall.

• Member Contributer

Pick a scenic, twisty route that covers about 5-6 hours of ride time including lunch and photo stops and I am in (hopefully) for the Saturday ride. Preferably light on traffic and Harleys. :wink:

• Member Contributer

This is why my initial route over to Harrison was "shorter".

While it would be great to cruise through Talequah and up through from the I-40 side to Harrison, I would almost prefer to get TO Harrison then meet up with the guys/gals coming in from somewhere other than OKC for an afternoon jaunt on Friday.

Taking the scenic route from OK to AR isn't a bad thing... Just food for thought as far as getting to our other riders at a decent time of day.

To each their own though... I'm not about to start telling people how to spend their vacation time. :tour:

I'll be in Harrison no later than 2pm Friday and would be quite interested in a afternoon ride, preferably something that involves BBQ and home-made cobbler with ice-cream....

• Member Contributer

If a Friday ride is planned, I'm good with getting over there as early as possible and enduring the slab for the sake of speed to a greater good :tour: . It's not like the ride around Tenkiller and up next to the Illinois River is anything compared to what is in the Ozarks...

Other opinions?

And off topic, but is anyone game for riding the Ozarks around Devil's Den Campground over Labor Day weekend? I'm making a dry run that weekend, camping in Devil's Den State Park.

• Member Contributer

I'll be on my XR so doing a 400 mile day won't be an option for me especially considering I'll have to do 400+ up there and back. Consequently, I'll be glad to lead an easy Skuuter style route if any of you aren't up to a long hard day and would prefer a little sight-seeing.

Route Suggestions...

211 Miles (123 du jour)

Full Size

218 Miles (123 & Push)

Full Size

274 Miles (Only The Best)

Full Size

286 Miles (Missouri Twist)

Full Size

385 Miles (Not For The Faint Hearted)

Full Size

• Member Contributer

These are great routes Dutch...I'm glad you will be on this trip. Hope Gary S. will be there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Hooray. Just got my leave approved today. Please add me and VcFR to the "fer sure" list. However, at this time I am not sure how many of our +'s are going to be able to make it. BTW, BBQ sounds excellent for Friday night. Also, VcFR and myself do not mind some super slab riding as we are used to that on our commute to work every day so whatever route the group decides on to get to Harrison is ok with us.

• Member Contributer

Well getting that Friday off just got solid but not the Thursday so no playing the chaser or making the Friday afternoon ride as I had hoped.

Still on the "maybe" list this far out but things are looking good right now. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Hooray. Just got my leave approved today. Please add me and VcFR to the "fer sure" list. However, at this time I am not sure how many of our +'s are going to be able to make it.

Done and done. My +1 or 2 are still on the fence as well... Both ride Triumphs and are having fueling issues. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I just requested PTO - we will see what happens! Looks like lots of people are taking time off during that period, I might not get approved.

Here's to hoping Miguel.

Well getting that Friday off just got solid but not the Thursday so no playing the chaser or making the Friday afternoon ride as I had hoped.

Still on the "maybe" list this far out but things are looking good right now. :smile:

Sounds promising! Playing chaser is thankless pack-mule work anyway. Not having a chaser will just make everyone else honest when they're packing. :tongue:

Speaking of packing... I *seriously* doubt I'll be toting 18+ T-Shirts on my back seat in addition to a weekend worth of gear. Perhaps next time. (Sorry Ernie.)

• Member Contributer

"Speaking of packing... I *seriously* doubt I'll be toting 18+ T-Shirts on my back seat in addition to a weekend worth of gear. Perhaps next time. (Sorry Ernie.) "

Ship them to the HUB ahead of time... We're not letting you off that easy! :pissed:

FYI, Part of hwy 7 collapsed last week but it could be repaired by the time you arrive

Landslide closes Highway 7 in Newton County

Posted:Aug 14, 2012 4:35 PM CDT Updated:Aug 16, 2012 12:17 PM CDT

NEWTON COUNTY -

Highway 7 is closed as crews try to clean up a landslide.

Deputies say just south of Jasper, the road collapsed and slid out. No cars were on the highway when it happened this afternoon.

Detours

Northbound

5 miles south of Jasper go travel east on Highway 374 until arriving at the town of Vendor. Then go northwest on Highway 74.

Southbound

Take Highway 74 out of Jasper and then. Then go west on Highway 374 until it reconnects with Highway 7.

FYI, Part of hwy 7 collapsed last week but it could be repaired by the time you arrive

NEWTON COUNTY -

Deputies say just south of Jasper, the road collapsed and slid out. No cars were on the highway when it happened this afternoon.

Detours

Northbound

5 miles south of Jasper go travel east on Highway 374 until arriving at the town of Vendor. Then go northwest on Highway 74.

Southbound

Take Highway 74 out of Jasper and then. Then go west on Highway 374 until it reconnects with Highway 7.

Traveled it this past weekend. They now have a one lane passage so that the road is not closed.

7 south of Jasper is not really a road that I would suggest running anyway. However, 7 between Jasper and the HUB is lots of fun!

• Member Contributer

"Speaking of packing... I *seriously* doubt I'll be toting 18+ T-Shirts on my back seat in addition to a weekend worth of gear. Perhaps next time. (Sorry Ernie.) "

Ship them to the HUB ahead of time... We're not letting you off that easy! :pissed:

Good idea. I will even help cover the shipping costs to get them there.

• Member Contributer

NEWTON COUNTY -

Detours

Northbound

Southbound

Thanks for the heads-up.

Welcome to the site!

• Member Contributer

Jon,

If you need to make a small "entry" fee to cover the cost of the tags, shipping the shirts, or anything else you have going on to make this ride happen let us know. I will be happy to do my part.

Fred

• Member Contributer

Jon,

If you need to make a small "entry" fee to cover the cost of the tags, shipping the shirts, or anything else you have going on to make this ride happen let us know. I will be happy to do my part.

Fred

Thanks for the offer, Fred.

The master plan for the shirts is to get them done cheap, charge you guys an exhorbitant amount, then funnel all the proceeds to VFRD. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Might as well get started, PM me with your shirt sizes (and those you represent... wives, +1's) so I can get a list going. Would like to have most by 8/30/12

Side note: Miguel, whether or not you make it I'll be shipping you a shirt as an "honorary". :tongue: Thanks for all your work keeping this up.

Archived