Arkansas in September - Reserve Your Spot NOW! Sep 21 through 23

Yokel

• Member Contributer

So with considerations of the drive north to OKC being 3 hrs to meet with a group for a 5 hour ride east, and that I have no long road trip experience... Does anyone know of a decent place to camp out the night before by the OKC meeting point that I can then meet up with you guys in the AM? Try to do this smart you know...

Actually, yes... there's not a bad spot between I-35 and W of where we're going "kickstands up". It's on Rt. 66 and you seriously can't miss it.

Your directions would be something like this... Take I-35 north from Denton... Take a right on old 66. Go a mile and a half and start looking to your right.

If memory serves, it's a Army Corps of Engineers project, and it's not a bad spot to camp. There are facilities on site. http://www.travelok.....profile/id.259

The directions to the rally point in the morning would be like this:

Get back on eastbound Rt. 66, stop at the 40 foot soda bottle 7 miles down the road. Start looking for bikes that are not harleys. That's about as easy as it gets. :)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Vanion2 you should come if at all possible...the roads in Arkansas are probably the most under rated in the south due to the attention the Blue Ridge and Appalachians get. You could even park your rig at my place (Yukon is right off US66 and I-40 & just west of OKC ) and ride out with me.

I started testing the waters last night with the wife. Between that and being busy at work I am calling it a long shot for now but I got my fingers crossed. :wink:

• Member Contributer

So with considerations of the drive north to OKC being 3 hrs to meet with a group for a 5 hour ride east, and that I have no long road trip experience... Does anyone know of a decent place to camp out the night before by the OKC meeting point that I can then meet up with you guys in the AM? Try to do this smart you know...

Actually, yes... there's not a bad spot between I-35 and W of where we're going "kickstands up". It's on Rt. 66 and you seriously can't miss it.

Your directions would be something like this... Take I-35 north from Denton... Take a right on old 66. Go a mile and a half and start looking to your right.

If memory serves, it's a Army Corps of Engineers project, and it's not a bad spot to camp. There are facilities on site. http://www.travelok.....profile/id.259

Get back on eastbound Rt. 66, stop at the 40 foot soda bottle 7 miles down the road. Start looking for bikes that are not harleys. That's about as easy as it gets. :)

Jon, I think you are talking about Arcadia Lake which is indeed a Corp Lake but also policed by the City of Edmond. You have probably heard of that place! Might be a small fee for camping but probably not more than four or five bucks. Just past the BPB (Big Pop Bottle) on the left is the historic round barn, of Arcadia. Worth a looksee and a photo opp for sure.

• Member Contributer

Jon, I think you are talking about Arcadia Lake which is indeed a Corp Lake but also policed by the City of Edmond. You have probably heard of that place! Might be a small fee for camping but probably not more than four or five bucks. Just past the BPB (Big Pop Bottle) on the left is the historic round barn, of Arcadia. Worth a looksee and a photo opp for sure.

Yes! That's the one. Completely brain-farted on mentioning the name of the lake, but it's the Lake Arcadia Campgrounds in Edmond OK.

Thanks Ernie! You going to come along?

Yokel -

Looks like a blast! I'm a solid "maybe" at this point. If I do go, I'd want to meet up with the OKC group when you hit Tulsa (I'm guessing somewhere around 9:30 or so, if you leave OKC at 8:00).

Gotta check the work/wife calendar...I'll be in touch.

Matt

• Member Contributer

Yes! That's the one. Completely brain-farted on mentioning the name of the lake, but it's the Lake Arcadia Campgrounds in Edmond OK.

I am going to try and at least ride over with the group/s. Probably won't spend the night but who knows.

I really want to get a T-shirt! And it sounds like you are drawing a good crowd, most of whom I have not met. Are you planning on Rte 66 for a ways towards Tulsa or ????

• Member Contributer

Well my long shot just got a little shorter. The wonderful wife is giving me the kitchen pass. Now all I need to worry about is work, finances, and the baby to see if everything else falls into place. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Yokel -

Looks like a blast! I'm a solid "maybe" at this point. If I do go, I'd want to meet up with the OKC group when you hit Tulsa (I'm guessing somewhere around 9:30 or so, if you leave OKC at 8:00).

Gotta check the work/wife calendar...I'll be in touch.

Matt

Well, you know me and my fuel range...

Think the route through Tulsa will skirt south through Jenks. Should be able to rally up on the south side somewhere that has a fuel pump without too much trouble. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I am going to try and at least ride over with the group/s. Probably won't spend the night but who knows.

I really want to get a T-shirt! And it sounds like you are drawing a good crowd, most of whom I have not met. Are you planning on Rte 66 for a ways towards Tulsa or ????

Think it's going to be 66 though to Chandler, then jump on the Turner Turnpike through to the southern loop around Tulsa, catch 412 through Siloam Springs and over to Harrison.

Like Matt, the shirts are a solid maybe at this point, but I'd get you a Snicker Bar at the least.

• Member Contributer

Well my long shot just got a little shorter. The wonderful wife is giving me the kitchen pass. Now all I need to worry about is work, finances, and the baby to see if everything else falls into place. :ph34r:

Awesome! I've updated the list with the maybes. :)

• Member Contributer

Sorry guys. My wife and I have had so much going on this summer we have missed every group ride this year. We did take off a couple of weeks ago and went down to Lawton for a weekend to ride around the wildlife refuge and grab a Meers burger. I still need to post the pics for that trip. Think I will name it the "Not so Sum Sum 2 adventure" :laugh: . Anyway, just got a chance to read through the thread and we are on the definate maybe list. I may also have a couple of other riders that would want to go. With that said, if I can get my leave approved for that weekend we will go. Summer travel is winding down and the airport is starting to slow down so I think I can pull it off and get a couple of days off. No way I can get a day off during the summer as we need every employee we have there and then some during this time of the year. My wife will have started her fall semester but she does not have Friday classes so she should not have any scheduling problems. My daughter is moving into her apartment this weekend so I will have an empty room soon, so if we make the definate list I can put up an out of town member that needs a place to stay the night before stands up Friday morning. With everything going on I have not even looked at my wife's 07 this summer and I still have a ton of mods left to finish on it that I started this spring. Finishing up building a new barn/shop for the in-laws and starting to get the tractors and equipment ready for this fall. Probably won't even look at her 07 until after we get fall wheat planted in late September so she will be on the Magna. Her fuel range is usually 95 - 110 miles. I hope that won't be an issue. If it is please let me know. Anyway, hoping to go and be able to put some faces with the names we see on here. We have met Steve and if all the other members going are like him, I know we will have a good time. BTW, my wife says it is time I get some new t-shirts..... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
Probably won't even look at her 07 until after we get fall wheat planted in late September so she will be on the Magna. Her fuel range is usually 95 - 110 miles. I hope that won't be an issue. If it is please let me know

Personally, I like to stop every 100 miles or so regardless for a stretch and the VFR 1200 isn't all that great on mileage anyway. I for one would love to have someone around that needs gas more than I do. :tour:

I don't think it would be a problem at all. Would love to have you guys come along! Besides, we've got a few triumph riders (Friends of mine and of Adam's) that may be joining us and their fuel range will be about the same I imagine.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Yokel. We are the same way on long rides. 100 miles is a great time to stretch and get a drink. Less fatigued after a long ride. Anyway, I should know if my leave is approved this week. As soon as I find out I will let you know. Should be a good time. Looking forward to meeting some other "Oklahomies"............

• Member Contributer

Jon, I forgot to tell you that my wife's member name is VcFR. So the maybe list should show huntinggunns +1 or 2 and VcFR below that.

Fred

Fixed! Thanks!

• Member Contributer

So, if I read the first post right, Saturday morning would be a pick of one of the six routes to ride on. Maybe someone that has ridden those routes could chime in and let me know which one would be the most scenic with a little adventure. I was thinking the Moonshine run or Jasper disaster would be good fun. However, I would have to catch up with the group at each of the checkpoints as I don't ride as aggresivley as others.

Fred

• Member Contributer

That's the idea.

I was out here in the spring and did the Moonshine Run before this storm system parked on us. It was very scenic, decent tarmac and the roads were more technical than I had initially guessed. Traffic was not even remotely an issue.

Some of the planned routes overlap. Frankly, just about anywhere around Harrison is terrific. I was separated with some other guys in my group and after sending the "we lost you and will meet you back at the hotel" text, i received back, "Lost as hell, having the time of my life, see ya there."

The route I did with my dad was a VERY leisurely pace, 100 miles or so, took 4 hours stopping for pictures and really taking our time.

• Member Contributer

I have your road tested new wheel bearings full sized spare trailer sorted out for you. :smile:

Wish I could join you but will be out of the country working :sad:

• Member Contributer

****EDITED INFORMATION ON TIMEFRAME (work schedule changed)****

For you other OklaHomies-

I'm currently planning on kickstand UP at Pops on Rt66 Friday AM at 8:00am. Route to Harrison will go from 66 through Arcadia to the turnpike near Chandler. From the turnpike, skirt south around Tulsa (construction there is just plain stupid right now) and grab hwy 412 through to Harrison. Should take 5-6 hours with a break for lunch which will put us at the Hub around 1:30pm.

https://maps.google....z=9&via=1,2&z=8

Just saw this part of the thread. If I am going I will be trailering my VFR all the way up to the Hub. I will have room for any excess gear on the trailer to lighten your loads a bit for the slab up there and a tool box ready for any road side repairs (hopefully not needed). Basically I can act as a chaser free of charge.

• Member Contributer

This is going to be my route over from Yukon, OK on Friday morning, early. Would love to have company if anyone is interested in doing some less-ridden roads in Oklahoma. I won't say "twisties" because the curves are mild compared to what awaits in Arkansas...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207611245220007575359.0004c7badc967b231c5f7&msa=0

This is going to be my route over from Yukon, OK on Friday morning, early. Would love to have company if anyone is interested in doing some less-ridden roads in Oklahoma. I won't say "twisties" because the curves are mild compared to what awaits in Arkansas...

https://maps.google....7b231c5f7&msa=0

I'm down for this route, looks most entertaining.

• Member Contributer

Thanks HS!!

Vanion, you are a prince among men. This mean you are in the "fer sure" list?

Not yet. I have to see how crazy the work schedule is before I can confirm. Right now we are looking at the end of our fiscal year which translates into a bunch of projects needing to be completed before the end of September.

As soon as I know so will you. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

https://maps.google....7b231c5f7&msa=0

I'm not trying to change your mind but can't resist suggesting this route. All good roads with some really tight corners. No guarantees on gas from I-40 until you get to Jasper so I'd suggest topping off when you get to the interstate.

Full Size

Archived