Oil leak - don't know how serious - pics

marriedman

Thank you for the reminder. But now that I have a bike with a centerstand, I use it everytime. The oil level was while it was in the garage on the centerstand.

I am more concerned about my over-filled reservoir.

Thank you for the reminder. But now that I have a bike with a centerstand, I use it everytime. The oil level was while it was in the garage on the centerstand.

I am more concerned about my over-filled reservoir.

No worries, the reservoir has an overflow line that will drain excess fluid if it needs to.

btw- from the pics and descriptions, you have no oil leak...

• Member Contributer

The only bad thing is that by the time I was putting antifreeze mix in the reservoir. The sun was setting and the line I was looking at was a shadow and not coolant level. Will this hurt anything if it is above the top line? Do I need to siphon some out somehow?

Nah, it has an overflow pipe. If it fills up it will just spash onto the ground. The pipe is just below the reservoir lid.

I've not heard of a VFR overflowing its coolant bottle - ever.

• Member Contributer

A clean bike is a safe bike............. you will be able to spot easier if something is leaking or cracked....

Now, drink a can of cold beer and give it a good, long BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRPP. You earned it. :smile:

• Member Contributer

And watch for the clutch slave cylinder sneaking out of its bore when removed. Put a zip tie around the whole thing to keep the piston in place while it's removed and hanging there.

+ 1. Good advice. The slave piston is spring loaded. Just to be safe.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70576-almost-there/page__hl__slave#entry826777

• Member Contributer
OK, I have stepped away from the bike and walked the dog to calm down.

Dude, seriously? You want something to get mad at, choose things like bent valves or fried stators.

Even if you *had* a mid oil leak - and I don't think you do - they can be fixed easily enough. Don't stress!

I am a computer nerd, plain and simple. The fact that I am even attempting to do any work on my bike is hilarious to my friends and wife. I wanted a VFR so bad I wasn't as thorough as I should of been in my inspection and my haggling. I saw this gunky mess and fresh oil and feared the worse. Complete engine tear down or something along those lines.

Dammit, now I sound like a drama queen. This bike is just so much more complicated than mu Nighthawk!

Dude,

You can come over and clean my bike anytime! I don't think I've seen new motorcycles that clean and shiny on the dealers floor. I don't think you have an oil leak. The oil looked too clean to be coming from the crankcase.

Don't go overboard on the degreaser and water, there is a side stand switch and speed sensor in that area.

It's not hard to work on this motorcycle, even if you have had little experience with motorcycle mechanics. You may not realize it now but with a little practice you are probably as capable as most of the guys who work in bikes at my local dealership. You have attention to detail and high standards for quality work.

I will be presumptuous and share my lessons learned.

Take you time. Don't rush. That's when mistakes happen.

Don't be afraid to ask for help

Take notes, sketches or pictures of where things go if necessary. The above mentioned sprocket cover bolts are a good example. A magnetic parts bowl is a good idea for keeping small parts from getting lost. Also, plastic zip lock sandwich bags taped to parts that come off is another way to keep track of what goes where. For example, all the fairing fasteners bagged and taped to the faring, the sprocket bolts bagged and taped to the sprocket cover, etc. This is especially helpful if you get interrupted and have to put the project aside for a day or more.

Get a factory shop manual or download one here. (Check)

Use the maintenance guides on this site (Check)

Buy a torque wrench, know how to use it and use the torque values in the manual.

Don't cheap out on tools - good quality tools are an investment and will go alone way to preventing rounded fastens or stripped screw heads.

Keep your work area clean. If you're working on the garage floor minimizing oil stains and spills will go along way to promoting marital harmony. Especially if you share the space with the wife's new car. I use a small piece of plastic sheathing or blue plastic tarp under the bike if I am changing oil, cleaning and lubing changes etc. in a pinch, old news paper works,

Buy a box of disposable nitril gloves at the auto parts store. Keeps your hand clean and protects from used motor oil. Motor oil is now considered a cancerous material.

Good luck

Joneill - hmmm, MA is a little far to hang out cleaning bikes!

I used to have some nice tools, but my garage was broken into and everything was taken. I had to borrow my father-in-laws' tools just for the oil change!

I am seeing that there is a lot of torque specs referenced, so I am going to have to pick one of those up I guess.

I am totally going to get some dang gloves. My hands look awful today! Not to mention, De-greaser stings like crazy in little cuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

And try decaf!!

Even if it was the shaft seal that's a 10 min job at the most. Just did one on the bmw, pop old one off with a small pick and drive the new one in with a socket. Lot's of other stuff to be worried about!!

• Member Contributer

I am totally going to get some dang gloves. My hands look awful today! Not to mention, De-greaser stings like crazy in little cuts.

Nitrile! Purple usually is the best, thickest material. I can't seem to find the purple nitrile I really liked anymore. I tried some that said lavender nitrile, I think it was, and they didn't stand up to anything chemical wise. Even simple degreaser started breaking them down. Found some sorta in between that work fine.

Archived