98' stock mirror question?

Guest SingleAction

Resurrecting an old post here but how did it go with replacing the mirrors? I have the same problem with my '99's right mirror flapping about (lots of bumpy roads round here) until it becomes useless. I'm considering swapping in some 6th gen mirrors which i'm told fit? Ebay here I come...

• Member Contributer

I went with the Emgo mirrors for a 2000 or 2001 (without the condom) and am very happy with them.

• Member Contributer

And I think the member who did the LED-integrated mirrors was Mohawk (in the UK)...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

And I think the member who did the LED-integrated mirrors was Mohawk (in the UK)...

Ciao,

Correct

• Member Contributer

Resurrecting an old post here but how did it go with replacing the mirrors? I have the same problem with my '99's right mirror flapping about (lots of bumpy roads round here) until it becomes useless. I'm considering swapping in some 6th gen mirrors which i'm told fit? Ebay here I come...

Obvious question perhaps but have you tried tightening the fixings? I had the same thing when I got my 99, got in there with my tools and voila, rock steady mirrors. There's an adjuster at the mirror head, as well as the pivot at the base. I wish all mirrors were as easy to adjust as the condom style.

Yes indeed to the point I thought I'd be in danger of over tightening. Feels nice and solid in the garage but once on move and a few bumps later the right mirror is moving on its stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

You could always throw a bit of epoxy glue into the joints to stiffen things up a bit.

• Member Contributer

I have had a mirror or two that moved when I did not want it to. Tightening the pivot bolt would hold them steady until I moved them. Then they would loosened up.

So I took the pivot apart and found there are a pair of washers of different sizes and materials both above and below the mirror stalks. On bikes that have had both dissimilar washers the movement did not occure, even when adjusting on the fly.

I am convinced the washers provide just the right amout of friction to make them behave. See the fiche I posted earlier in this thread to see the washer part numbers.

P.S. The condom style mirrors of 1998 1nd 1999 fifth gens to not have these washers. Another reason to get the '00 - '01 mirrors.

• 1 month later...

I bit bullet and replaced both mirors with new OEM mirrors sourced on eBay. One from UK and one from Australia! Worked out at roughly half cost of normal price. Now rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 01/11/2014 at 10:44 AM, Beck said:

Condom mirror haters are missing out on the mirror's added aero advantage......

The drag reducing oval section of the "condom" provides an extra 10mph minimum to the top speed of the bikes that have them........guaranteed! :wheel::fing02: ...Really!!

As long as one knows how to properly adjust and maintain them, they are the bomb! Any guy worth his salt as a VFR rider should be able to keep the condoms on their bases without any problems....... :tongue2:

Thanks man, this is what I wanted to hear! 

• Member Contributer
On 16/06/2015 at 2:27 AM, MarantzManiac said:

I did the same... added the extenders... and never looked back!

2.5 years and no-one spotted that? :goofy::beer:

Archived