98' stock mirror question?

Guest SingleAction

Guest SingleAction

Finally after 3 years was able to take the VFR out on the road to get a state inspection yesterday. It was an 80 mile round trip! I forgot what an amazing MC this is!

This bike sat in storage for over 3 years with just sta-bil in the gas. It never was suppose to, but I had back problems and couldn't ride, or touch the bike until last week. Put a new battery in, it started up after a min or 2, and runs like I rode it the day berfore!

Anyway, the problem I have is with the mirrors since it was new.

No matter how tight I make the bolts under the plastic cover on both mirrors, they come loose at normal highway speeds, getting pushed back towards me. I am forever adjusting with them while ridding.

I had a 91' VFR, that had similar mirrors, that never did this.

It looks like this mirror design was only used on the 98' & 99' model, and a newer design without the plastic cover on the 00' & 01'.

What I would like to know, is anyone with these stock mirrors have the same problems, and maybe Honda changed them on the newer models for this reason. If so, will the 01' mirror fit my bike without and mods?

I also own a '98 w/the stock "condom" mirrors. However, I've only found it necessary to tighten the bolts once since purchasing my viffer last year and haven't experienced the loosening issue you described since. Of course, if the mirrors' positions are changed regularly I can see how re-tightening the bolts might be required on a more frequent basis. Still, during a ride last weekend I topped 100 mph more than once, yet the mirrors never changed position.

Have you considered disassembling the mirrors to make sure there's no grease or oil present that could be contributing to the problem? I guess it's also possible the bolts could have been over-tightened in the past and that the metal may have been fatigued or damaged as a result.

I'm fairly sure there are some relatively inexpensive aftermarket mirrors available (Emgo?) on ebay and from other sources to replace the stock mirrors. I've also seen stock mirrors advertised for sale in the forum's classified section from time-to-time.

A lot of people don't seem to like the "condom" mirrors, but I had no problem w/them and wonder what's the big deal.

• Member Contributer

My mirrors on my 98 do that (well, the right one...still stock). I replaced the left with an EMGO 2000 model year replacement, and it doesn't have the problem. I cover my bike every day, and the cover moves the mirror at the proximal articulation more and at the distal very slightly (closest to the mirror and farthest from the mirror, respectively). I will get a replacement for the Right one sooner or later, but recently upgraded pegs, windshield, helmet and added a luggage rack. Somehow the $35 seems to get pushed back because the mirror still works fine, it just looks different, and needs to be tightened every few months. So I live with it. I am trying to get some money together to bring the wife into the 90s at least (her ride is an 85 GPz), so...

One day. Keep tightening, or buy a new one! EVen better, buy the set, and have spares if you need them!!

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions,

I guess that thru the years of constantly tighting the bolts could be part of the problem, I wonder if they could be replaced. I'm the original owner, and the mirrors started doing this on the way home from the dealer! Everytime I went back for service, I would mention this to them, and all they did was tighten up again. I think at this point, they should have replaced them under warranty.

Like I said on my 4th gen bike with basiclly the same mirror, never had this problem.

Thanks for the loctite suggestion, I will try that. The problem is that you have to have the mirrors move some what, when someone walks next to the bike and knocks them out of adjustment.

I would like to keep the oem mirrors if possible, or if someone knows if the 00' or 01' mirrors will fit, I think they look better then the condums anyway :blush:

The 00 01 mirrors fit. I would get the emgo ones from Amazon, they are basically the same. I think you need to order some rubber part mounting thing for the 00 01 bike to mount them though. Maybe someone can chime in or if you search I bet you can find it.

Yes, you will need the rubber base from the '00 because the footprint is different from the '98. This is the part you'll need:

71-88113-MBG-D00 : RUBBER, MIRROR BASE

I got mine from powersportsplus.com

You should also get new bolts. There's a lip on the '00 mirrors that makes the '98 hex head bolts a total b*tch to tighten down. 6x16, which you can pick up at home depot or part number 96600-06016-07 : BOLT, SOCKET (6X16) it seems.

Thanks for all the info!

I went onto e-Bay, and looked at the EMGO mirrors, but would prefer getting the OEM ones for the '00, or '01 bike!

So far, I've been to several online Honda dealers sites, but couldn't find a listing/part # or price!

The mean time, I'll try to maybe replace the pivot arm bolts, and try loctite

The Honda ones are pretty spendy. I got emgos and they are nice. You will need the rubber base piece but they are cheap. Both emgos and the bolts and the rubbers are less than one factory mirror. If you are at you local shop, the mirrors are in the Western Power Sports or WPS book

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info!

I went onto e-Bay, and looked at the EMGO mirrors, but would prefer getting the OEM ones for the '00, or '01 bike!

So far, I've been to several online Honda dealers sites, but couldn't find a listing/part # or price!

Check this - #23 & #25

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2001/VFR800FI+A/UPPER+COWL/parts.html

Hey, I've actually got two extra rubber bases for the '00 mirrors just lying around still sealed. If you want them (or anybody else wants em) just send me a pm and I'll mail them to ya.

I put off for several years fighting the condom mirrors getting loose, etc.

Finally bit the bullet and bought OEM Y2K mirrors.

I should have done it sooner because they are sooooo much better than the old ones.

Hey, I've actually got two extra rubber bases for the '00 mirrors just lying around still sealed. If you want them (or anybody else wants em) just send me a pm and I'll mail them to ya.

What mirrors did you use on your'98?

Thanks for all the info!

Check this - #23 & #25

http://www.powerspor...COWL/parts.html

Thanks for the link to the mirrors! The price isn't bad, if that cures my problem.

It did show the pivot bolt that controls the horizontal movement of the mirror where the problem is with mine.

I wonder if I just replace them, will it correct the problem for now?

I went to the '98 upper cowl diagram, and they did show the bolts,but in the listing that # wasn't listed. I'll call them Monday, and see if I can order them first. Maybe get away fixing them cheap :fing02:

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

SingleAction - What did you end up doing? I have this problem as well.

• Member Contributer

Hey SA, for the best prices on oem parts, try calling Mason City Honda (641-422-0000) and ask for Keith. He offers parts at cost+10% to VFRD members.

• Member Contributer

SingleAction, I was looking for something in my garage and I found a set of '00 - '01 mirrors that are in good condition. I believe I have the bolts and rubber pads. PM me if you are interested.

Terry

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone fitted mirrors with integrated led running lights/indicators,see some on ebay,it would make an old 5th gen look like the new 8th gens :biggrin:

Looking at buying a 98 5th gen,condom mirrors don't look great to me.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone fitted mirrors with integrated led running lights/indicators,see some on ebay,it would make an old 5th gen look like the new 8th gens :biggrin:

Looking at buying a 98 5th gen,condom mirrors don't look great to me.

I believe someone used GSXR mirrirs with signals.

• Member Contributer

While closely examining the '00 - '01 mirror components, I've observed there are two different washers both above and below the arm, which may contribute to the necessary friction to hold the mirrors in place at speed. Check to see if your mirrors have both washers above and below. If only one or if they are identical pairs then that may be the problem. Look closely at the fiche and part numbers of those washers.

MBG4F3600C.gif
See part numbers 27 and 28 in the mirrors # 23 and # 25.

Condom mirror haters are missing out on the mirror's added aero advantage......

The drag reducing oval section of the "condom" provides an extra 10mph minimum to the top speed of the bikes that have them........guaranteed! :wheel::fing02: ...Really!!

As long as one knows how to properly adjust and maintain them, they are the bomb! Any guy worth his salt as a VFR rider should be able to keep the condoms on their bases without any problems....... :tongue2:

• Member Contributer

I just picked these up off of Ebay. Haven't had a chance to test them but the quality seems decent and for $30.00 if they don't work well it's not a big deal. Trying to keep things stock for now. Good luck with your search :fing02:

I just picked these up off of Ebay. Haven't had a chance to test them but the quality seems decent and for $30.00 if they don't work well it's not a big deal. Trying to keep things stock for now. Good luck with your search :fing02:

post-31404-0-82147700-1414793414.jpg

post-31404-0-11286300-1414793480.jpg

• Member Contributer

The gsxr mirrors with integrated indicators look good to me,may need some modification to fit,if I buy this 98 I'll post some pics if I fit the mirrors.

It has a full stainless exhaust,so I won't have any 02 sensors or cats to worry about. It won't have the Honda HISS system either so the key is less complicated.

The way I see it now with machinery is the less crap that's there to fail/cause problems the better.

Archived