Adventure 2012... Olive is at it again...

• Member Contributer

That's weird. There are actual SS1000 rides which require riding both sides of the border. Zen riders out of Toronto have been doing a Lower Great Lakes SS1000 (circle Erie and Ontario) for years.

Glenn

Ya the the email they sent me, said something about having a list of sanctioned cross boarder rides, but my straight line 1068mile Franklin NC to Belleville ON in 18h4mins wasn't one of them so it doesn't count. I'll have to see if I still have the email from them, but that was from last July something so I doubt I still have it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Since this relates to the adventure, I will write it up in here.

Right now I am partway through registering the new bike. I have brought it across the border and had the RIV inspection done. Saturday I was at the registry getting my paperwork for the required out of province inspection. Next I need to get the out of province inspection completed, then can register the bike. Since I had been riding the bike with a transferred plate I only had 14 days grace. That expired yesterday.

Today I moved the plate back to the original VFR, and decided to take it out for a spin. I figured it would be a good comparison between the stock suspension and the upgrades on the new bike. I looked for my tire gauge and couldn't find it. Since I had the rest of my tools in hand I swapped plates and continued with everything else that needed to be taken care of, neglecting to come back to tire pressures. Later on I figured out that the tire gauge was in my pocket.

Leaving the house I noticed that I didn't like the handling nearly as much. Even rebound on the front shock felt a lot different. As I was riding I was trying to quantify exactly what it was about the handling that I didn't like, and I couldn't put a finger on it. Definitely not well behaved.

Coming out of a long straight I spotted a corner, and accelerated into it. It was at this point that I put my finger on the biggest difference, and the real issue. Houston, we have a problem! The bike suddenly felt very familiar as it tried to wrestle me for control. This was a dance that I had been through before.

Gentling the bike to a stop I checked the tire pressure on the front. 15PSI. That would explain it. Nothing obvious about the tire, no apparent holes, marks or unidentified objects. Pumped up the tire to a more appropriate number and cautiously rode home.

The front tire was down to wear bars, ready to be replaced and didn't owe me anything. Although this leaves me with two parked bikes, neither of which I can ride. A very temporary state of affairs.

It really goes to show the importance of checking tire pressures each ride before leaving the house.

• Member Contributer

Can you swap front wheels? IIRC your new bike has ABS, but I've never seen the ABS system up close and don't know if it would work. If it will, you can swap them out in about 5-10 minutes.

Yes you can swap the entire wheel from the ABS bike onto the NON-abs bike for awhile if you just wanna ride.

It will fit and work 100%, you will just have the ABS tone ring on the NON-abs bike, looking a little funny, spinning in the breeze, doing nothing, but it will work 100% fine.

• Member Contributer

Considering that I need a good tire on the new VFR when I take it for inspection, it seems a lot of work for little gain. Really hoping to have the new bike plated this week.

As for keeping the one with ABS... my first VFR has ABS. The new one does not. The new one has upgraded suspension, upgraded muffler and lower mileage - should be obvious that one is going to be the keeper. I don't think I can migrate the ABS from the other bike to this one - anyone have any experience doing so? Right now the plan is to keep the non-ABS for that reason.

• Member Contributer

Hence why I am keeping the non-ABS bike.

• Member Contributer

Ya the the email they sent me, said something about having a list of sanctioned cross boarder rides, but my straight line 1068mile Franklin NC to Belleville ON in 18h4mins wasn't one of them so it doesn't count. I'll have to see if I still have the email from them, but that was from last July something so I doubt I still have it.

Hi Dave,

Not to derail Olive's report, but I got this reply from one of the guys at the IBA:

================================

The Iron Butt Association would not have rejected your ride on that basis.

The rule is that no part of a metric ride can be done in the US, but the mile-based rides can be completed anywhere. So if the rider had completed the distance partly in the US and partly in Canada, we would have awarded a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less) certificate, as opposed to a Saddlesore 1600k (1,609 km in 24 hours or less) certificate.

If the rider believes he was denied the certification on the basis he describes, he can drop me an email and I will look into it further.

Thanks!

Ira Agins

Iron Butt Association

xxx@ixxxbutt.com

=================================

I can give you contact detail via PM if you want to follow up. Please let me know.

Glenn

Glad to her you made it home without to many issues. I remember my trip to the east coast in 07 pouring rain and I found a 10km stretch of groved pavement after riding that I almost wante to give up and come home.

The IBA is willing to consider and sanction all sorts of interesting rides.

Ya just don't cross the US/Canadian board well trying to do a 1000mile in 24 hours. Because in Canada its a 1600km in 24 hours ride not a 1000miles (same thing) so they rejected me last year as the last 40miles I needed to complete a 1000miles happened in Canada so it didn't count.

Can you send me your full name (kneebone@ironbutt.com) so we can pull your application? Canada kilometers count the same as US miles, but yes, if you want to do a SaddleSore 1600K, that is Canada only, but if you jumped the border for part of the ride we would convert you to a SaddleSore 1000. The reason for that is to keep the Americans from clogging up the metric ride list, so it is there to benefit you. But again, we would count all the miles/kilometers on the road, no matter how many times the border is crossed.

Michael Kneebone

President, Iron Butt Association

Archived