Adventure 2012... Olive is at it again...

• Member Contributer

Investing in VFR's to sell in Canada will yield better returns from stocks or bonds....... :tour:

Go Olive!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Did I miss why you sold your old bike and bought another identical one???

Veefer, check out my garage... haven't sold anything yet.

Bikes are worth more in Canada, and I had an opportunity to pick up a bike in great shape that would provide me with another trip... and well, that's how twins happen. The plan is to eventually sell one at a profit. Likely my original because it is higher mileage, and doesn't have the suspension upgrades or the exhaust.

Dutchy is right about bikes vs stocks and bonds.

• Member Contributer

Sure does have a ring to it. But the acronym is not that good: HOUBQLInc?!? Maybe we should ahve a contest to see what kind of acronym we can come up with so she can create the company as soon as she comes back. Not to mention that the quickie lube part is not that true, since you always have to go back to change the filter you just put in... :laughing6-hehe: Still waiting on pics from the trip here... C"mon Olive, for all of us who cannot travel far this summer, make us dream a litttle. :tour:

C

• Member Contributer

Pics will come... And a proper ride report.

Had an odd electrical gremlin earlier in the day but no repeats yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

Right now I am in Keokuk, IA. Was chased down by a sweet Orange CBR who liked my bike. (The rider liked the bike, not the CBR) Great chat with him - his bike was mid refresh after an unfortunate suicidal deer, but being nicely renewed. (Say hello to our newest member... He plans to join).

Next update later in the day.

• Member Contributer

She lived happily ever after?!

I can only verify the first part of that.

-Jake

• Member Contributer

Late to the party as usual I am O, glad to hear you've had virtually no issues. A little oil here, a little electrical gremlin there ......unusually calm sea's for our Damsel on her VFR :tour::tongue: . Keep the Deer in your headlights and the Bears in your mirrors and most importantly ........ enjoy the journey.

• Member Contributer

Can we get a conclusion to Olive's Epic Ride 2011?

-Jake

I suppose I could post up the rest of that... have it written, just need to sort and upload the photos.

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm... It appears that there are multiple Mount Vernons... I was in Illinois last night. Tonight is Walnut, Iowa.

Was about 580 miles today. Weather was warm, but this afternoon and evening it was windy. As a matter of fact it looks like the main cash crop of Walnut is the wind... lots of wind farms out here and it is very clear why. Not sure what the secondary crop is - however I CAN tell you that I am obviously allergic to whatever is pollinating right now. Had to remove my contacts partway through the day.

Passed one cop car on the highway. Noticed it had a light rack in the window just as I was approaching on the pass. A little too late to do anything... he ignored me. Awfully nice of him. Passed a few other marked cars, some that were preoccupied with other drivers, and some that were training a radar gun in my direction hoping I would participate in their fundraising exercise. I didn't.

Loud thunderstorm rumbling around outside. Saw a thunderstorm on Monday around Ellijay GA when I was headed into the mountains. It was very close, thunder right on the heels of the lightning show and heavy rain. The light show tapered off as I headed North West, but the rain had dogged me for the rest of the day. All part of the trip!

• Member Contributer

Having coffee in the Hotel lobby this morning I learned that yesterday's winds were gusting 50-55. Explains why I was being pushed around a bit on the road.

Left this morning in a light drizzle and temperatures in the low 50s. The drizzle seemed ideal given that I had been reacting to whatever was pollinating in the fields, and the rain was sure to dampen it down.

Covered a few miles today. Stopped for coffee, to warm up, and to pull out a map in Omaha NEB. As usual met a few other people who ride - they tend to come talk to me, especially if they notice that I have a strange looking license plate, or, for that matter, an odd sounding accent. (Accent? What accent! It's all them foreigners from the US of A that have the odd accents.).

Spent most of the day on two lane roads, and still made decent progress. Discovered a nice construction zone in the rain... the bike got very muddy. The rain that dogged my progress all day tried to take care of that, but the mud got everywhere.

Had a Turkey encounter on the road. Yes, real live Turkeys. Two of them. Unlike most other wildlife that tends to head away when they hear my exhaust note, these turned and ran at me. I came to a complete stop, which was a very good thing. Didn't want to mix with next year's Turkey Dinner.

Lots of small towns on the highways, and found a few curves as well. Was riding like a real lady every time I passed a radar trap at the roadside.

As the day went on and the rains continued the temperatures began to drop. The lowest I saw was high 30s, and it was low 40s when I finally found a place to stay for the night. Tonight I am in Hot Springs. (Hot in this case appears to be a misnomer).

For those keeping track, this would be the town of Hot Springs in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Looking at a map there are some interesting routes through the area, although it would be an 11 mile detour if I wanted to check out Mount Rushmore. So far out of my way! Given that I put in 540 miles on Tuesday (I didn't think it was that many until I started the bike on Wednesday and checked the previous day's mileage), 580 yesterday and 550 today, the real question is if I have the time. (and the answer to that would be yes).

I hear rumours that highway 14 is also a good ride, so will have to check that out tomorrow as well.

• Member Contributer

Hi Olive,

Just in case you do not make it to Mt Rushmore, here a picture

The only good cat is a stir-fried cat.

500px-Mt._Rushmore.png

• Member Contributer

Made it to Mt Rushmore. The drive to Spearfish out form there it dropped to 31F and raining heavy enough for water to wick up my socks and wet gloves up my sleeves. Right now a little chilly and wet.

If I wanted freezing temps I would have stayed home. And before you ask I am not trying to beat my previous temp in "How low can you go...."

I want to find warmer temps and sun...

• Member Contributer

Looks like your hands are trembling so bad from the cold that you pressed enter twice and double posted LOL !!

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Did this exact route (well, the South Dakota part ...) in 2004. Spent four days in the area, checked out Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave park, Rapid City, Spearfish, Lead, Sturgis (a week before the pirate convention). Some nice old Hardleys in the museum in Sturgis. It was neat seeing all the tents go up without the thousands of people clogging up the motels, streets and bars.

Of course, I hung a left into Wyoming and Idaho on my way home. I assume you're headed up through Montana? Do you have all your import paperwork in order at the border? Did the dealership you purchased your other silver 2008 from do the paperwork for you the last time? I've imported two bikes from the states. I've found the US customs folk to be quite friendly and efficient if you have all your ducks in a row. I've heard it can be a different story if you don't. Good luck and ride safely, Olive.

I also hit Devil's Tower as Veefer800 suggests. It's worth the small detour--though you might find yourself playing with your mashed potatoes afterwards. :laugh:

DT_close_vert1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Regretfully I skipped Devil's Tower. Thick fog, cold temperatures, rain... didn't seem conducive.

The weather went downhill as the day progressed. Stopped for the night in Buffalo, Wyoming. Coming into Buffalo it was cold. Lowest temperature I saw was 29F, although it my have gotten colder. Thick fog, fogging visor, fogging glasses, snow, wet roads and minimal visibility made for an interesting ride. Yes, I did say the "S" word. Was joking with people about bringing it down to the States with me... and apparently I was successful.

Very sure that this is the first time this bike has seen snow. Was hoping to save the introduction until at least October.

• Member Contributer

I'm also late to the story but I can only log in from my phone. I better find me a VFR before they all wind up in Canada.

I noticed Minnesota is not colored on your map. ;^)

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Map is a little behind in colours right now. Something to update when I arrive home. Apparently there was a blizzard on the roads west of Buffalo towards Yellowstone yesterday evening. Had a highly entertaining conversation in the breakfast room at the motel - a trucker commented on the weather conditions he had encountered yesterday and said he was sorry for the poor SOB with the bike. This was my cue to introduce myself.

Going to follow his advice of going north, but waiting for it to warm up a bit first. Temperatures with windchill yesterday were 7F - this was with soaked gear. One of these days I should try to find out what it would be like to be a fair weather rider.

• Member Contributer

Chilly again today on the road. Lots of snow coming into Billings Montana, wind blowing it across the road reducing visibility significantly.

Checking the forecast showed more of the same ahead, temps in mid to high thirties, rain and snow.

Decided it was suicidal to keep pushing on so stopped in Billings Montana for a very early day.

As I recall my original thread about planning this trip was titles leaving the snow behind... Been unsuccessful at that part.

Unsure what tomorrow will hold. I could push it home but a lot depends on the weather.

Archived