Adventure 2012... Olive is at it again...

• Member Contributer

Friday was the start of another adventure with wheels up as I took flight. I picked up my newest VFR on Saturday morning in Atlanta. Obviously week cared for and in pristine shape. Then Nomo and myself headed north to ride some great roads and see a few other riders rumored to be in the area... Dutchy, Baileyrock, Sweeper, HispanicSlammer, TimmyTheCop... A lot of well known names... Yes I stopped in at TMac. A few seemed surprised to see me there...

Leaving the Tmac crew behind on Sunday morning spent a full day wearing out the sides of my tires, finally ending up in Canton for the night.

Tomorrow I continue the next commute home... Full ride reports will follow with pictures after I arrive home, but for the week I will do quick notes from my phone...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an honor to ride with you Olive. If you are ever in my neck of the woods and need a stop over, give us a shout. Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

It was great to meet you at TMac Olive and we certainly look forward to your upcoming posts!!!

Have a safe adventure home.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Great to meet everyone... I can already tell you that there is an oil story... But a teaser is all you get on that for now... Phone keyboards are not conducive to telling a good story...

• Member Contributer

Have you left the state of Georgia and didn't tell me you were here.???!!!!

• Member Contributer

Yes, I am in Tennessee tonight. Left Atlanta this afternoon... a much later start than intended. I alluded to this earlier - do all of my major rides have to include an oil issue?

I don

On Sunday morning leaving TMac, I noticed a bit of oil under my bike. Just a couple of drips, but enough for me to lift one eyebrow and keep one eye on the rearview mirror for any clouds of suspicious blue smoke while riding on Sunday while riding with Sweeper and NoMo.

Sunday evening I was still getting fresh oil. It seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the filter. Joker had done the previous oil change, and made sure that the filter was snugged up. Running it in the garage I had been loaned for the evening there was no more oil. It looked promising. Joker left me with a spare filter just in case.

Well... this morning I checked for oil. A little on the exhaust, but it could have just dripped down from the previous day. I went for a short run, and checked when I filled with gas. After branding my hand on the exhaust pipe, I determined that I still had an issue... and perhaps worse than before.

I headed back. Pulled things apart, and had an issue. I rounded off the nut at the end of the oil filter - could not get it off. Had a screwdriver but no hammer. Daisy had offered to meet me for brunch if I was still in the area, so I took him up on it... although we didn't get anything to eat. He swung by and we punctured the filter. Nice long screwdriver for leverage. Not a lot of space to work with, and all the room was taken up by the screwdriver bending.

Not a good sign. Daisy and myself headed out to the nearest hardware store for a few more tools, and back to the bike. A really stout screwdriver didn't bend and we were able to get the filter off the bike - well mangled by this point in time.

The new filter was also a K&N, and we had another issue... it wouldn't screw on all the way. Whups, wrong number. Another trip out to the local autoparts store, and we finally had the bike back together. Ran it in the driveway with no oil... another good sign. Reassembled all of the plastics, and said farewell to Daisy - he had to go back to work, lunchless.

By the time I left the area it was into the afternoon. I stopped a few times to check for oil, being cautious about branding myself again. It looked much better... no little drips, no oil hanging... so I kept riding with constant checks for a recurrent oil issue.

As I got to the fun roads I found some really heavy rain and thunderstorms. In some areas mud, gravel and assorted detritus had washed across the road (not fun in curves), and in others it was sheeting hard enough for hydroplaning. My boots are definitely no longer waterproof.

Drenched I decided to stop for the night - not as many miles as I had planned, however tomorrow is another day. Heading northwest from here... if you see a silver VFR with Alberta Plates, give me a wave!

Will provide another quick update tomorrow, with a full report to follow when I get home and download pictures from the camera.

• Member Contributer

So, Olive, you bought a second silver 6th gen? Is that to improve your odds of having one available without an oyl leak? (Doesn't seem to be working so far. :laugh:) Maybe it's time to ditch the K&N filters--wasn't one of those the cause of your last oyl leak? Ride safely.

• Member Contributer

Now let's see here . . . wasn't the last Exxon Valdez-like incident also in May (of last year)? And of course as mentioned with a K&N oil filter . . . and on a silver '08 . . . ? And wasn't it Daisy that alerted VFRD members to your plight then and also helped you this time . . . and twice now you've noticed it and rectified it without incident. :fing02: This is kind of spooky . . . :ph34r: . . . legendary one might even say. At least this time you weren't out in the middle of nowhere with a dying cell phone battery. Just a shot in the dark - but I'm guessing that K&N has not contacted you about providing a testimonial for their oil filters . . .

Note to self: NO K&N oil filters - EVER.

Kidding aside - glad you're safe and having a good time. Looking forward to more photos. Pics - let there be pics!

• Member Contributer

Well I'm back at my home office desk....

but at least got my Go Canada!!! shirt on :laugh:

Have a fun ride Olive!!!!

d9e5e359.jpg

Although I don't use K&N oil filters, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the product for the problem. Clearly the oil filter was installed WAY too tight if you ended up rounding off the nut at the end and bent a screwdriver trying to get it off.

For oil filters all that's needed is to tighten by hand a 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the rubber gasket makes contact.... :huh:

Glad to hear you're back on your way w/no harm done to the new ride.

• Member Contributer

Part of the reason that the nut rounded is because it was lubricated from the oil issue. Initially I was trying to go in with socket driver, extensions and a socket. The first K&N I had issues with was one year ago and I had installed it myself. There is no way that the weld on the front should have cracked. This one I had not done the original install on. We gave it a quick tighten hoping that would resolve the issue. Obviously it did not.

My comment is simply that I do not have very good luck with K&N Filters.

• Member Contributer

Next time your in NE TN and need shop space, work or tools, look me up, always happy to help. Good luck with the ride home!

• Member Contributer

I suspect K&N isn't the culprit. But I'm not sure what is. I've changed oil on anything with a spin off filter for almost 40 years, but I've had more problems with filter leaks on the VFR than anything else I've ever worked on. But I've always resolved it by retightening the filter. To date, I've only used Walmart ST's, and Purolator Pure One's. I'm about to use a Mobil filter because I asked for the wrong Purolator number that is now obsolete. Yeah, I know, I should have searched VFRD to confirm before I went to the parts store.

I know they are always more expensive, but. Beginning many years ago, (I'll be riding 61 yrs. in Oct.), I promised myself to never use a non-motorcycle manufacturer branded oil filter. There have been too many failures of welds, filter media and bi-pass valves for me to trust a filter company to provide a filter uncompromised in any way for it's specific application. BTW: I've not had a filter fail. . . .yet. Good fortune, R3~

Although I don't use K&N oil filters, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the product for the problem. Clearly the oil filter was installed WAY too tight if you ended up rounding off the nut at the end and bent a screwdriver trying to get it off.

For oil filters all that's needed is to tighten by hand a 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the rubber gasket makes contact.... :huh:

Glad to hear you're back on your way w/no harm done to the new ride.

Shop manual for my vfr12 has a torque spec for the oil filter. its out in my shed or I would look it up.

• Member Contributer

Wow... This seems to be turning into an oil thread...

Tonight I am in Mount Vernon. Found some very nice roads this morning that allowed me to continue wearing out the sides of the tires. Went through Big South Fork, saw Alberta Road, Canada Drive and the City of Edmonton. (Gerry028000 - no, not your Edmonton or I would have looked you up). The states down here sure are doing their best to make me feel at home, although there is no snow... Yet.

Much better weather, although a few hangups... One house fire in Henderson had traffic well backed up, but for the most part traffic has been calm.

Now I think it's time to find dinner...

• Member Contributer

I am from Vernon British Columbia and currently reside in Edmonton. I was In Calgary on Thursday and honked as I drove by your work, then again as I returned home on Monday. Enjoy your trip and I should be in Calgary on June 2nd on my way to Nelson BC. Give you a call so I can check out bike #2 !!

I'd have to agree, Olives' Oyl thread is about her riding tale. Not a oil thread tale about Olives' oil......... "Keep on trucking"

• Member Contributer

Oh Olive! What are we going to do with you?!? Keep on riding and please post pics when you get a good internet service!!

C

• Member Contributer

Did I miss why you sold your old bike and bought another identical one???

I thought she kept the first one, and she bought this second one, a twin. She likes twins I guess...

Archived