"Houston, We have a problem.."

bayarearider

In doing some Maintenance this weekend, coolant flush, Dot 4 flush etc., having the side panels off is a good opportunity to have a look around.

I've been learning a lot about bike maintenance, mods and repair and enjoying it for the most part.

This one however may be a gremlin to cause some grief.

I took a look the wiring clusters and connections coming off the Reg/Rec. There a (2red,2green,1black) wire group that goes to the (fuse panel?) Then there's a (3yellow) group that has a connection then run under the frame off to neverland.

(The recall wiring has been done on this bike)

What is the (3 yellow) wire group? Cuz the connecton is Toasted! (pic)

The bike is running fine but getting stranded out in the boons doesn't sound like a pleasant day.

I've got a call out to Dr. TightWad in hopes of a quick fix. But looking for more feedback.

post-13109-0-97063600-1337463236.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've got the same exact problem on my 5th gen.

Mine's been like that for at least a year. I bought my regulator from Tightwad about 2 years ago and didn't notice it until last July.

To be honest, I've ignored it.

The three yellow wires are the stator outputs from the alternator.

Ignore it :huh: yeah, I've done that for about a year but it's getting worse...

I did trace the leads and saw the stator exit. Can't those two get along?

Obviously a heat issue but what's causing that? A dying Reg/Rec?

Anyone?

• Member Contributer

Before I replaced my stator, R/R, and battery I had installed the VFRness from Tightwad and then just cut out that crappy connector and soldered the wires together.

• Member Contributer

Definitely a common problem.

rr_connector_99.jpg

Cut the connector out and splice new connectors in.

wires.jpg

Still may not solve the problem.

IMG_9215Medium.jpg

Rinse. repeat. Since religiously keeping the battery on a tender I haven't had an issue.

• Member Contributer

Change that connection, charge up the battery and hopefully you'll be fine for the ride. Tightwad also can do expedited USPS is you request it. I got my VFRNess in less than a week, I think.

I think with that last picture and refurbing of the wiring connections , we can elminate wiring as the cause, There too much amperage, so what did you replace to solve the problem ? RR/ battery

as far as needing a battery charger on as a norm, thats not true if the system is functioning properly

• Member Contributer

I think with that last picture and refurbing of the wiring connections , we can elminate wiring as the cause, There too much amperage, so what did you replace to solve the problem ? RR/ battery

as far as needing a battery charger on as a norm, thats not true if the system is functioning properly

Right, I think the tender is a band aid, but it's preventing a repeat of my previous issues, so far...

Those connections could have had high resistance maybe due to my sloppy electrical work. Readings are all in spec, it's the best I think you can do with this bike's electrics, fix the issue as best you can and monitor it to catch issues early like bayarearider did.

Archived