VFR REGULATOR RECTIFIER FIX

5232eagle

• Member Contributer

My question is .

1. Do all vfr,s use the same regulator rectifier.

2. Do many of you folks keep haveing R/R failures

I am new to the site and i have two 91 vfr 750,s that use to burn up a R/R about every year and a half.

I tried the computer cooling fans and even moved the R/R out into cooler air, on the muffler support. But that still did not stop the failures.

The problem i see is haveing the full wave bridge rectifer,the shunting circuit and the regulator circuit all in the same small hot metal housing.

When current is in demand the full wave bridge works hard and gets hot and when current demand is low the shunting circuit shorts out current from the stator and adds more heat to the R/R which also contains the regulator circuit.

In the picture you can see how i have tackled my R/R problem. Its my own design and i have been thinking about trying to bring it to market.

1. On the muffler support i have a full wave bridge rectifier.

2. Where the old rectifier was mounted i have a shunting circuit.

3.To the left of the rear brake resivor i have a regulator circuit.( black box)

The heat is not near what it use to be now that the three parts have been seperated and i will soon have two years past with no failures.

So thanks in advance for any info you folks can spare.

post-24893-0-16292800-1335841412.jpg

• Member Contributer

You have an creative solution going on there. Kudos for the thought. But as they say technology marches on. The newer style R/Rs use a MOSFET solution and an even better solution is a series style R/R that only switches on, as demand required. (Compufire) -- Either could be used in your 3rd gen, and neither get that hot. I have the CF and it runs just warm to the touch.

http://www.vfrdiscus...__fromsearch__1

To your question, not all VFRs use the same R/R.... and YES! R/Rs have been a hot topic, but I think the "set" of possible solutions is well documented.

The old Vfrs have more RR issues than the newer ones, so not sure how lucrative the demand is for old VFR's.

While there's alot of Hype on the Compufire BS, there nave been mixed results using a Harley Product on higher reving Bikes, nothing confirmed , so still in the Guinea Pig stages. The Number one failue on R1's is the Mosfet RR.

• Member Contributer

Neat solution there. Glad it's working out for you. Think most of us here either spend the money on Rick's R/r, or wire in another brands R/r. I ended up putting a GSX-R unit on mine. No problems since, but not a lot of miles on the bike since either.

• Member Contributer

Hello Eagle, welcome to VFRD from across the pond :tour:

Touch wood, mine is still running 14 years later, but seeing a new view is refreshing. Not a fan of how the metal box looks fitted behinds the peg (in view). But that is just me.

Well done :fing02:

Old Skool

354b828e.jpg

I sanded down the paint on the subframe and lapped the back of the regulator, and applied artic silver compound in between. Now it actually sheds heat like it was designed to. I plan to upgrade at some point, but this is doing the trick for now.

Nice work...I like that you separated the units...in the 90-97 R/R there is just too much going on.

Lately I have been selling a lot of 90-97 VFRness's adapted to work with a MOSFET style 98-99 R/R. That is an easy conversion and works well...probably closer to the skill set of most riders.

Archived