My 5.5gen VFR

tinkerinWstuff

Great job Tink! -- Curious about the mirrors - what are they? -- looks good...

Kudos! - Nice video!

Thanks - glad you guys liked it. I'd have to do some digging to figure out exactly which vendor I bought those mirrors from. They were cheap $40 ebay specials.

• Member Contributer

When I saw the concept shot - yellow fairing with the RWB tailsection - I thought, really? But the final reveal in all yellow was magnificent. Bravo!

• Member Contributer

Heck Yea!

I could do that.... if I had .... Nope.

Enjoyed your work.

Mac

Beautiful bike!

I have the same mirrors but flipped around so the smooth side is on top and the angled side is on bottom. It keeps the mirror profile lower I think.

-Drew

I had tried them that way as well and liked the look. I had a concern with the LEDs being on the bottom of the mirror in that orientation and possibly less visible while daytime riding.

• Member Contributer

Very nicely Done!!! Combined the best of all worlds... 5th gen gear driven cams, lost the dumbo blinkers, and married on the 6th gen under tail exhaust... like I said, VERY NICELY DONE!!! Love the yellow and black bumble bee color combo

When I originally set out, I thought I could make this a quasi-bolt on mod and fabricate extra mounts for sale. I finally gave up and just made it work for myself.

The real shocker came when I discovered the ECU would not fit in the rear and the whole wiring harness had to be customized.

The rear brake master and exposed header pipes are my favorite part of the whole build. I think it could be a cool cosmetic mod to any 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Movie was pretty cool, thanks for showing your work, seeing more of the front end exposed without plastic in the way makes me wonder again about the changes required to strip an RC46 down and transform it into a naked bike. If it wasn't for the cooling system... I had wondered what the area behind the headlights looked like but the video makes it seem pretty easy to deal with that and hang a headlamp from the forks. But that cooling system would take a lot of very creative work to make visually clean.

Movie was pretty cool, thanks for showing your work, seeing more of the front end exposed without plastic in the way makes me wonder again about the changes required to strip an RC46 down and transform it into a naked bike. If it wasn't for the cooling system... I had wondered what the area behind the headlights looked like but the video makes it seem pretty easy to deal with that and hang a headlamp from the forks. But that cooling system would take a lot of very creative work to make visually clean.

thanks. as for your cooling comment - I would take the old radiators up to a local radiator shop and have one custom heat exchanger built to suit the project. Probably see if they had the skills to curve the core.

Sweet job Tink! :fing02:

-Your wire harness rework blows me away! :cool:

Blew me away too. It was the one biggest things I hadn't anticipated in this project. I didn't expect the brakes to become what they did either but I did know I was going to have some sort of issues there.

I could not find anywhere in the rear to stuff that brick of an ECU. I started a thread here looking for the ECU connector sockets and tried a half a dozen other places I could think of. No one could find the correct pins. That is until a day or two AFTER I butchered the old one ( http://www.corsa-technic.com/ )

So I had to completely unwrap the harness, take all the ECU wires and fold them over toward the front, then trim and extend wires as needed to reach that location. Was NOT how I would choose to do things but could find no other option at the time. Maybe this winter I'll take that spare harness I have now and some new pins and build one without solder connections.