The damage a car door can do at even at slow speed

LoopRider

The first time I used the brand new panniers on the VFR1200 we went touring to Wanganui, NZ to watch the Boxing Day street races. As we arrived in that town I went to pull over and stop to let my wife catch up and work out where our hotel was. I hear a big bang and look back to see my pannier disappearing down the road. It turns out a driver opened a car door as I went past and hooked it up (sliced it?). It ripped out the lugs, popped the lock but didn't knock me off. Other than the pannier damage just made a few marks in the pannier lug hole. I was lucky I was probably only doing 10 kph and its a heavy bike. Glad it wasn't my leg hit by the door.

I've replaced the pannier through insurance but not cheap as Honda make you buy a complete set. I was able to fix it to get home, glued the lugs back on and taped it up with gaffer tape. Didn't look pretty but got me home.

Since that, I've changed my exhaust, a nice Two Brothers, now the drivers here me coming!

post-23773-0-21001900-1334990441.jpg

post-23773-0-55190500-1334992246.jpg

• Member Contributer

Glad you didn't get it on your knee...

My knee managed to knock a car door off it's hinges.

And what did it do to your knee?

• Member Contributer

And what did it do to your knee?

Fortunately and surprisingly not much.

The impact was on the sharp outer edge of the adjar rear door. The door edge got bent inward and there was an inch tall vertical split in my heavy jeans at the point of contact. The knee hurt like a muthafuka for a week, but then healed up and I don't seem to have any aftereffects.

I guess i'm a superman. Or have a super knee. Or just dumb luck.

Glad to see you are okay and no more damage was done. Would you be willing to part with the small bumpers/supports that screw onto the stock pegs for the bottom of the panniers? Im guessing you have an extra set of these lying around now. I bought a set of panniers and these were not included (bought off a dealer who didn't tell me they were lightly used) and I cant buy them separately.

• Member Contributer

Wow...lucky only begins to describe that. Glad you two were ok and the damage limited to the hard case.

I guess they don't have liability insurance in NZ? I would have definitely had that careless cager paying for a new setup once I changed out my shorts.

There is no personal injury liability in NZ unless criminal. We have a 'no fault' national accident insurance paid out of petrol taxes and a levy on vehicle registration. But vehicle damage is different and the insurance company will seek it from the at fault driver. In this case that is stil proceeding as the car driver claims it was not his fault even though he admits to opening the door without looking..?

Jessman, if I decide to keep the pannier as a spare, I,ll drop you a line re the stops. Hard to believe you can't get separately.

Wow...lucky only begins to describe that. Glad you two were ok and the damage limited to the hard case.

I guess they don't have liability insurance in NZ? I would have definitely had that careless cager paying for a new setup once I changed out my shorts.

Archived