Should I buy a battery cover?

realistdreamer

• Member Contributer

Only after looking at pics of others did I realize my new-to-me 2000 came without a battery cover. Not sure if the wiring job I've done will interfere with a cover (I saw one on http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1137wt_1071)

What value does it add, particularly if I don't ride in the wet? Is it worth $10?

post-24256-0-63636200-1334797206.jpg

If I'm looking at your wiring setup right I dont think your going to be able to use the battery cover without moving some stuff. It all looks very tidy by the way good job. I also believe the cover is hinged as part of the battery box so you'll have to change the complete box, dont know how much work that would be. Dont think the cover provides much waterproofing, if riding in rain, water could still be forced up under cover from sides but even that is probably not to likely and probably wouldn't cause any problems. I'd say as long as you still have the cover on the positive terminal so it's not likely any thing could cause a ground short to that terminal your good. I'm going to have to see if I can fit my slime compressor under my back seat looks like a great spot but I do already have a tool kit in that area might have to rearrange. Mike

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the insight. I moved the stock toolkit behind the compressor and added a few extra tools in the grey pouch behind that. The slime compressor's case with plugs and adhesive fit perfectly in the grooves for the stock toolkit, so I figured the other tools were more flexible and could be placed elsewhere. Saw RedShed's tidy wiring and got jealous. Not quite up to those standards, but I added some additional 8 gauge grounds and a direct connect for my battery tender.

• Member Contributer

Interesting idea of turning the battery around. I wish I had thought of that when I was cutting wires. No everything is set for the stock placement and given where the frame ground is, it's probably for the best.