The Tale of My 100,000 Mile VFR800

Hulked Up

• Member Contributer

Good for you and your machine. What I'm impressed with is your Iron Butt qualifications. 1500 miles in 24 hours! You are indeed an Iron Man. I'm at 99,500 over six years. But I'm retired. You must have no significant other or a very understanding one. Let's go for 200,000.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Dude - you rock! Impressive. --- How the hooeey do you get 10k - 19k on a set of tires? I've never got anywhere near that!

I'd like to know too. I got ~7K out of my PR2s. I don't ride hard, but I do a lot of flat road commuting.

• Member Contributer

Dude - you rock! Impressive. --- How the hooeey do you get 10k - 19k on a set of tires? I've never got anywhere near that!

I'd like to know too. I got ~7K out of my PR2s. I don't ride hard, but I do a lot of flat road commuting.

I've gotten 10k on a cruiser tire --- once. ---19k just boggles the brain. :blink:

I've gotten 10k on a cruiser tire --- once. ---19k just boggles the brain. :blink:

I don't get anywhwere near 7k out of any tire I've tried. Much less 10k. Share the secret!!!

I don't know what to tell you guys about my tire life. You have me going back to my records, but it's documented. There's no particular secret to it. I weigh 165 lbs and feel like I'm smooth on the throttle. I do a lot of highway miles but ride a fair amount of twisties where I wear the tires almost to the edge too. No burnouts or wheelies of course. It's been normal wear for me. I put this rear tire on at 98,000; I'll report back in 20,000 miles!

• Member Contributer

I don't know what to tell you guys about my tire life. You have me going back to my records, but it's documented. There's no particular secret to it. I weigh 165 lbs and feel like I'm smooth on the throttle. I do a lot of highway miles but ride a fair amount of twisties where I wear the tires almost to the edge too. No burnouts or wheelies of course. It's been normal wear for me. I put this rear tire on at 98,000; I'll report back in 20,000 miles!

Ah 165 pounds that's the trick, I need to drop 50 pounds than :)

I might look a little unhealthy being 165lbs and 6food4, but extra 50 pounds in rider weight, the extra 40-50 pounds I carry around all the time in my side cases (rain gear, gloves, the weight of the case it's self) so I'm a hundred pounds or better heavier so that is for sure going to cut in to tire life.

I'm getting 9/8k F&R and I wt. 255 with 15 more in my tail bag. I've been using PR2's and I'm easier on my throttle 'specily 1st&2nd gear.

One thing can be road surface.....

My 2002 VFR 800 ABS just turned over 100,000 miles today.

Congrats and welcome to the club Hulked Up.

You can get the shock rebuilt (Lindemann and others about $250 for the first time, cheaper after that once a fill valve has been added). A set of stiffer springs and fresh fork oil will restore the front and you'll be good to go for the next 100k. Now get busy reaching the remaining 23 accessible states :tour: (By all means ride Hawaii, it's just not necessary to ship the VFR there to do it :smile: )

Congrats on a major milestone! Great pics. I really love these high mileage threads. I've wondered if there's one out there with 150 or 200,000 on it.

Yes, there are others out there:

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your excel file with us?

Cheers and if you must get a lower miles VFR 800, I hear that those are also good bikes :-)

CElias

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your excel file with us? CElias

getting an error message that I'm not allowed to post that type of file.

• 2 years later...

Well Done!

I only hope to live long enough to get that kind of an odometer reading one day. But I'm so happy with my 6th gen that it will be with me until the end!

• 1 year later...

Thread bump! I just bought this bike from a nice fellow just outside of Hartford CT.  It would make me the third owner of this fine machine.  The bike currently has 113k miles on it, and the PO was excited the share the history of this motorcycle with me, and his continuation of the maintenance spreadsheet.  He mentioned the original owner had made a vfrd post, so i was curious to see if i could find it.  Great story behind this bike and I am excited to continue it.  I am currently trying to sell my 1984 CB700sc, which the VFR is replacing.  I had a 94 VFR750 just before the nighthawk, and missed the v4 engine (read; torque) terribly.  This bike popped up on craigslist for a great price due to the mileage (which doesn't scare me in the least), so i had to scoop it up.  Though ive only been able to take this bike around the block, i can tell it will be a ton of fun to ride.  The seating position seems to better agree with me than my old VFR.  This is my first experience with fuel injection, ABS, and linked brakes on a motorcycle.  I expect her to treat me well :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got her reg'ed and on the road.  The front timing chain was making a racket so i did both timing chain tensioners.  At the same time, i gave the fast idle wax unit a quarter turn, which helped with the cold start RPM, but it needs some more adjustment.  I was pleased to find a k&n filter installed when i was in there.  I flushed the coolant and put in some Dexcool (what i use in everything i own).  I couldnt help myself and found a great price on a second hand Leo Vince exhaust.  It is certainly not as loud as the D&D i had on my vfr750, but she barks.  I quite like it.  The intake noise this thing makes is ADDICTING.  i love it! Last night i took her for a spin and already kinda knew she needed new front rotors.  It became annoying in the first couple miles, so that will be happening sooner than later.  Will likely just grab a pair of used ones on ebay, but its proving difficult to find a good pair with the ABS ring fitted or even the bolt holes for it.  I was also dealing with a sticky throttle last night, so i took it apart when i got home and applied some teflon tube to the bar.  Smooth as silk now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i was able to get some new/used rotors on it and paired them with some new Galfer pads.  Stops smooth now! Now that shes all sorted, she rides awesome.  I really quite like it.  The Helibars really make this thing way more comfortable than my 4th gen (with bar risers).  

Alas, life has gotten in the way, and it might be time to move her along already.  Ive been trying to sell my CB700sc for a couple months now and not one soul has looked at it, and the price is remarkable IMHO.  I am moving and would love to not have to move two bikes, so i would like one of them to go.  I would prefer the CB go, but at this point either would be OK.  If anyone is interested in either or both as a package deal, let me know.  I will make you a SMOKING deal on both bikes.  Both bikes ready to ride and i have paperwork for both.  

Sigh. 

• Member Contributer

I say check out some rebuild or used performance shock options. With the fine level of care you have given it should be good for years to come. My 5th gen had 133,000 when I sold it. Still starting and running strong.

Great write up also!

Archived