Bleeding/fluid Replacement On Linked Brakes W/abs On 6Th Generation (The Ultimate Guide)

jay-d

Nice writeup!! I found out that since the secondary master cylinder fills up from the rear master cylinder, and it is directly connected. I was able to bleed the rear caliper center piston just from pushing on the rear brake pedal instead of pushing the secondary master cylinder in and then re-filling it up by hitting the rear brake again. Also I cant find the right side proportion valve and I looked all over the area, where the heck is it?

• Member Contributer

Nice writeup!! I found out that since the secondary master cylinder fills up from the rear master cylinder, and it is directly connected. I was able to bleed the rear caliper center piston just from pushing on the rear brake pedal instead of pushing the secondary master cylinder in and then re-filling it up by hitting the rear brake again. Also I cant find the right side proportion valve and I looked all over the area, where the heck is it?

It has been noted in another thread that the right PCV is only on the ABS models.

I was looking at my non-ABS bike today and it has a right side PCV. The Honda Service Manual says it's there too. It's behind the right seat rail cover - that black triangular piece of plastic just ahead of the rear brake reservoir.

• Member Contributer

I was looking at my non-ABS bike today and it has a right side PCV. The Honda Service Manual says it's there too. It's behind the right seat rail cover - that black triangular piece of plastic just ahead of the rear brake reservoir.

I think the reference was for a bleed point on the right PCV, does yours have a bleeder on it?

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking that Honda may have had the bleeder on earlier 6 Gens and probably removed it on later versions. Maybe about the same time they changed the VTEC engagement, (2006+)

Here's some pics of the right PCV on my '09, you'll notice no bleeder, Hmm?

post-23057-0-06755700-1395253924.jpg

post-23057-0-77590800-1395253930.jpg

post-23057-0-90545800-1395253937.jpg

post-23057-0-03164400-1395253946.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Huge thanks jay-d; yesterday I completed a full bleed of the whole system on my '08 ABS. Used conventional method and it worked a treat. Brakes feel nice & tight but will have to wait until the winds drop below 80mph before trying her out.

Excellent "How To". :beer:

Now that the weather has improved, the 6th Gen is getting a lot of miles put on it and I am very happy to report that the brakes are awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to complete that DiY guide, it's brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread! Thanks for posting the how-to, came in handy when trying to figure out the rear hydraulics. This process took about 3 hours. If I had to do it again, I could do it in 1. Mechanically it's not tremendously challenging, the hardest part is accessing the center bleed screw on the rear caliper. Other notes:

-Fancy expensive metal Mityvac was useless for this job. It pulled in far too much air through the threads of the bleed screw and I had to finish bleeding air with a gravity bleed or engaging the brake lever/pedal. A snugly fitting hose on the bleed screw and a waste bottle were all that were necessary.

-My 2002 non-ABS does not have a bleed screw on the rear PCV.

-Both the clutch and front brake master cylinders are seeping fluid post-bleed, because the diaphragms are a one-time use only item. Will replace them ASAP.

-I used a $1 condiment squeeze bottle from Sprawlmart (kitchen section) to add brake fluid to the master cylinders--much less messy than trying to pour directly from the bottle.

-Took about 700mL of fluid. If I did it again, I could probably do it with <400mL.

-Did my best to be careful, but brake fluid still got everywhere. Next time I'd use more protection for the ground and the motorcycle. I wrapped a rag around the front master cylinder to catch any spills. Also, I wiped up spills/splashes immediately with a wet rag. After the bleeding was done, I double checked all the areas vulnerable to splashes for brake fluid, then washed down parts of the motorcycle that were (potentially) exposed to brake fluid.

Not as bad of a job as I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Install the Galfer full S.S. brake and clutch kit today .

Just use the old turkey baster and manually pump up the system with no problems ..

When replacing the fluid, it's a good chance to lubricate the tip of the master cylinder piston, where the brake lever makes contact with it. I used silicone brake caliper grease per the shop manual, and the lever slides much more smoothly now.

• Like 1

Metallican525, others: I believe Hondas' and other manufacturers concern regarding the re-use of bolts is relative to bolt stretch under prescribed torque values. when used the 1st time the bolts are resilient and in many instances do not need thread locker or lock washers. When bolts are used the 2nd and subsequent times they harden and no longer provide the inherent tension of a new bolt. Good fortune, R3~

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for a great write up. Just bled my system with no issues at all.

I borrowed a friends mityvac but soon gave up with that. I tried it on the clutch first as its less complicated but this device just pulled in air through the threads of the bleed nipple.

So brakes were bled conventionally and it was fine.

sent via Pony Express

• 1 month later...

Guys, I am planning to replace all brake fluid in my 2004 VFR800. Any tips or tricks or things I should watch for and pay special attention?

Should I just follow the write up step by step and it should be fine? Thanks very much for helping out.

• Member Contributer

The ABS. Model has two proportional valves, other than that the procedure is basically the same. It really means that there is one less step. The guide here is really good and this is what I used in conjunction with the Honda Service Manual.

Hey guys, so I just followed the instructions, couple of questions I have:

1- With front lever only two front bleeders are bled, correct?

2-With rear lever and front left caliper cylinder bleeder close to battery is bled?

3- Both Rear bleeders are bled from rear brake ONLY?

4- Front left center bleeder is bled from rear brake again?

Please see pictures of my brake pads(first two rear and last for front) and advise if they need replacement, plus rear brake is hanging out of caliper and front both are locked. How to put them back?

Thanks for helping out.

post-31417-0-36929000-1412899389.jpg

post-31417-0-70083700-1412899398.jpg

post-31417-0-70899900-1412899406.jpg