Chain Adjusting

Guest redrider740

Guest redrider740

Hey, just a quick question for you guys. I need to adjust my chain and I don't have the owners manual, but I have the clymer one and in there it talks about using a tool from the tool kit to adjust the chain. I bought the bike used and never got a tool kit so I was wondering do I need the tool kit to adjust the chain or can it be done without. Also what tools were in the tool kit and can you get them anymore? Thank.

• Member Contributer

Hey, just a quick question for you guys. I need to adjust my chain and I don't have the owners manual, but I have the clymer one and in there it talks about using a tool from the tool kit to adjust the chain. I bought the bike used and never got a tool kit so I was wondering do I need the tool kit to adjust the chain or can it be done without. Also what tools were in the tool kit and can you get them anymore? Thank.

The only tool you really need from the OEM kit to adjust the chain are the pin spanner and the extension handle - items #5 & #12. Here's link to the parts fiche from RonAyers.com:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/FUEL_TANK_94-97/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/38/Year/1997/ModelID/4643/Model/VFR750F/GroupID/144011/Group/TOOLS_94-97

If you've got the stock shock then #8 might be useful for adjusting the preload. It's an 8mm socket with an extended reach. There's a notch in the pin spanner so that it can be used as a T-handle.

The rest of the tools you can easily get higher quality ones from a hardware store. I don't think I've ever used any of the other tools in the kit.

You want to get the correct tool to adjust the chain....... BUT.... in the mean time you can use a long straight-slot screwdriver with a blade about this long

(----)..... To tighten it you want to move the "top" of the notched wheel forward, by tapping softly on the screwdriver with a hammer.

................... "Be sure the pinch bolt is loose" ...................

Have you checked under the seat, as that is where the toolbag should be located, right behind the battery.

You can download a pdf copy of the owners manual from teh files section, in there you will find the contents of the toolbag.

• Member Contributer

and as shown on the T-shirt, free play between 15mm and 25mm..............

2181d77d.jpg

I've been meaning to ask this quesiton - Last time I cleaned/lubed the chain (6th gen) while on the center stand, I noticed the chain touches the black plastic piece on the top (return trip to the tranny). Is this normal?

• Member Contributer

and as shown on the T-shirt, free play between 15mm and 25mm..............

Nice shirt, but that seems awfully tight. I think the spec is 25mm to 40mm.

You're right, that's the spec in the manual.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to order the couple tools I need, and yea looked under the seat first the tool kit is not there.

Archived