VFR1200X soft roader

kaldek

• Member Contributer

Folks, AMCN has a copy of a British review of the new VFR1200X Crosstourer. Specs are also available I see and it's listed as a 21.5 litre tank!

So who's gonna be the first bloke to try fitting one of those to his VFR1200F??

The engine has been massively detuned down to 120HP, but with more torque (different cams). It also doesn't use radial mounted calipers. AMCN says it's been aimed directly at the Ducati Multistrada. It has TCS as well as ABS.

Dashboard has trip computer with distance to empty and I believe also fuel consumption.

Specs here: http://motorcycles.h...ouring/VFR1200X

• Member Contributer

As with all bikes of this ilk, alas I will never get to experience them. 33.5" seat height keeps me from it.

• Member Contributer

I saw one in traffic while sitting in my car in a terrible traffic jam in Istanbul last weekend (first -sunny- day of spring you see) and it looked good. There is a huge price difference (10K USD, can you believe it?!) between the GS and the Crosstourer here in Turkey so even though I think it's massively overweight (I mean 285 kgs, come on!) and kind of resent the lack of even the tiniest off-roadability, it makes a very good alternative to that bike...

• Member Contributer
There is a huge price difference (10K USD, can you believe it?!) between the GS and the Crosstourer here in Turkey

The Honda is cheaper than the BMW? That's a nice change. There's barely any difference here in Australia.

I think it's massively overweight (I mean 285 kgs, come on!)

It may be aimed at the Multistrada, but if that weight is correct, it's packing an additional 65 kg over the Duc.

To heavy for softpack earth.... the 1200 road isn't much different weight wise increased ground clearance is good but at 600lbs in semi soft clay/sand its no good at all. I got the VFR1200 Stuck going around a gate in the dirt had it tip over :sad: so Will look for lighter dirt work adventure touring than that....

• Member Contributer
There is a huge price difference (10K USD, can you believe it?!) between the GS and the Crosstourer here in Turkey

The Honda is cheaper than the BMW? That's a nice change. There's barely any difference here in Australia.

I think the difference comes from the importer of BMW which charges a huge premium for BMW products. Honda is determined to stay as number one in the Turkish market (which is very small I must admit) so their prices are somewhat agressive. But I have also looked at the Versys 1000 (much more pleasant than photographs by the way, but still an acquired taste I must admit) and it costs 1700 USD less (which buys a lot of gas, accessories etc). Its electronics suite is more comprehensive, lacks shaft-drive but weighs 50-60 kgs less so it's also a viable option...

• Member Contributer

The Crosstourer is most definitely NOT marketed as any form off off-roader, not even part-time.

Though heavy, all models of the 1200 carry that weight very well and whether pushing the bike to manoeuvre it around the car park or slow riding, it feels much lighter. Better build quality than a Beemer, a far far superior engine, and you don't have to wear all that stupid BMW kit. Easy decision! :beer:

I have my test ride booked soon.

• Member Contributer

Spoked wheels. An interesting design element, but I think it will fall aside once everyone accepts that the bike will see very little dirt.

Lots of street oriented people like myself may not want to lug a 600 pound bike through sand, but I wouldn't mind heading down an interesting fire road every now and then. That's why I sort of like the multistrada. just a touch more capable than a sport touring bike. Just a touch.

• Member Contributer

I am interested in a test ride too. looks like a good craft for long range rough road touring with a little dirt thrown in as a treat.

Just test rode a competitor ...the Yamaha Super Ten. Same thing but maybe more dirty!

2105585460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for posting. It does look good. I'm thinking the Triumph 800 Dual Sport is about right for power and weight. This HONDA would make a nice sport tourer that can handle some dirt roads but not so good on really gnarly dirt.

• 1 month later...

Marketed at the Duc? Have you seen the bike? Plus it's shaft drive.

This is direct GS competition. I think it looks great, it's cheaper, looks to be put together better as well. Oh and comes with a 3 year warranty here instead of the regular 2 years we get on almost all bikes.

Thanks for posting. It does look good. I'm thinking the Triumph 800 Dual Sport is about right for power and weight.

My friend just traded his Suzuki GSF1250 and DRZ400SM in on a brand new Triumph Tiger 800, which is just run in. It's quite a change for him, but so far he's really enjoying it. It's not a particularly nice looking or sounding bike IMO, but one that makes a lot of sense for New Zealand conditions.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Test rode this last week, here's my report:

Along with the NC700X which I test rode today, I rode the new VFR1200, the Crosstourer as well, this one being a DCT (automatic) version which I haven’t ridden before and have been keen to try for a while.

I think I can sum this up really easily by pointing to the size of my grin! What a hugely excellent bike. Stonking engine, even this detuned top-end version and as for the DCT…well it’s a bit like the shaft-drive…you kind of forget all about it after a short while and it’s sooooooo effortless. What it does do, though it would take a while before you hit the nirvana point, is allow you focus more on positioning and speed without having to worry about precisely which gear you’re in. Clearly not an option on a race track, but we’re not, most of us, and the engine has so much torque and power that you can open the throttle in almost any gear and get an eyeball bruising acceleration – so what does it matter what gear yr actually in? I really do think that this could be the way forward. I thought I might have an issue with not having a clutch or gear lever, but it really is intuitive and easy and actually only once did I move my left foot to change gear.

There are 3 modes you can ride in: first is Drive which is really designed for in town I think as it gets you into high gear very quickly (not that you care) whilst still allowing instant acceleration when/if needed. Then, by flicking the button with yr right thumb, it goes into Sport mode which is more useful on the open road, though again, you find yourself in a much higher gear than you would be on a manual bike. If that is a problem for you, then at any time, you can change gear manually using the tiptronic paddles with your left forefinger (change up) and thumb (change down). Actually, that’s not quite true, cos if yr doing around 30mph, it wont allow you to change up from 4th to 5th, but you can always change down a gear so using engine braking, even in Drive or Sport modes is not a problem. And the gear changes themselves are sublime, almost unnoticeable.

I do think many riders would find it too much of a pain because they want to control the gear they’re in, in the traditional manner (with the foot/clutch) but I must admit I found it very easy and natural and I was surprised at just how easy (fast) I was going. And considering it has such a small front screen, there is very little wind blast and normal cruise speeds can be maintained all day without discomfort. The upright, trailie-style bars and seating position is great, and the handling, even at very low speeds, is easy and pretty precise. It is softer than the Vtec though and I think if I bought one, I’d do something to stiffen up the front end.

Despite the hefty kerbside weight, it’s nimble, and just like the S.T. 1200F version, you just don’t notice all that weight. Indeed, it’s one of the easiest bikes I’ve ridden at low speed….like 1 mph. The throttle is silky smooth, response instant yet without sharp acceleration unless you open the throttle positively (fly-by-wire throttle).

It did feel very different getting back on the Vtec afterwards…all crunched up with the narrow handlebars. Question is…would I have one? In a heartbeat. The DCT, wide bars and the changes they’ve made to the mapping (including traction control) make it an utter joy to ride and it would be worth the £14k+ just to see the GS’s disappearing in the mirrors.

As with all bikes of this ilk, alas I will never get to experience them. 33.5" seat height keeps me from it.

28 inch inseam here......a famous story was how I was sitting on a BMW GS at the NY motorcycle show and saying in a loud voice how it wasnt THAT tall and how I could almost touch the ground....untill a stranger pointed to the sticker on the tank that read : "Special Lowered Version"

• Member Contributer

28 inch inseam here......a famous story was how I was sitting on a BMW GS at the NY motorcycle show and saying in a loud voice how it wasnt THAT tall and how I could almost touch the ground....untill a stranger pointed to the sticker on the tank that read : "Special Lowered Version"

I'm thinking about a 2012 Suzuki "Wee-Strom" 650 Adventure...it looks fun, and not too terribly tall.

Test rode this last week, here's my report:

Along with the NC700X which I test rode today, I rode the new VFR1200, the Crosstourer as well, this one being a DCT (automatic) version which I haven’t ridden before and have been keen to try for a while.

I think I can sum this up really easily by pointing to the size of my grin! What a hugely excellent bike. Stonking engine, even this detuned top-end version and as for the DCT…well it’s a bit like the shaft-drive…you kind of forget all about it after a short while and it’s sooooooo effortless. What it does do, though it would take a while before you hit the nirvana point, is allow you focus more on positioning and speed without having to worry about precisely which gear you’re in. Clearly not an option on a race track, but we’re not, most of us, and the engine has so much torque and power that you can open the throttle in almost any gear and get an eyeball bruising acceleration – so what does it matter what gear yr actually in? I really do think that this could be the way forward. I thought I might have an issue with not having a clutch or gear lever, but it really is intuitive and easy and actually only once did I move my left foot to change gear.

There are 3 modes you can ride in: first is Drive which is really designed for in town I think as it gets you into high gear very quickly (not that you care) whilst still allowing instant acceleration when/if needed. Then, by flicking the button with yr right thumb, it goes into Sport mode which is more useful on the open road, though again, you find yourself in a much higher gear than you would be on a manual bike. If that is a problem for you, then at any time, you can change gear manually using the tiptronic paddles with your left forefinger (change up) and thumb (change down). Actually, that’s not quite true, cos if yr doing around 30mph, it wont allow you to change up from 4th to 5th, but you can always change down a gear so using engine braking, even in Drive or Sport modes is not a problem. And the gear changes themselves are sublime, almost unnoticeable.

I do think many riders would find it too much of a pain because they want to control the gear they’re in, in the traditional manner (with the foot/clutch) but I must admit I found it very easy and natural and I was surprised at just how easy (fast) I was going. And considering it has such a small front screen, there is very little wind blast and normal cruise speeds can be maintained all day without discomfort. The upright, trailie-style bars and seating position is great, and the handling, even at very low speeds, is easy and pretty precise. It is softer than the Vtec though and I think if I bought one, I’d do something to stiffen up the front end.

Despite the hefty kerbside weight, it’s nimble, and just like the S.T. 1200F version, you just don’t notice all that weight. Indeed, it’s one of the easiest bikes I’ve ridden at low speed….like 1 mph. The throttle is silky smooth, response instant yet without sharp acceleration unless you open the throttle positively (fly-by-wire throttle).

It did feel very different getting back on the Vtec afterwards…all crunched up with the narrow handlebars. Question is…would I have one? In a heartbeat. The DCT, wide bars and the changes they’ve made to the mapping (including traction control) make it an utter joy to ride and it would be worth the £14k+ just to see the GS’s disappearing in the mirrors.

Thanks for that, I actually like it's looks too! :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for posting. It does look good. I'm thinking the Triumph 800 Dual Sport is about right for power and weight.

My friend just traded his Suzuki GSF1250 and DRZ400SM in on a brand new Triumph Tiger 800, which is just run in. It's quite a change for him, but so far he's really enjoying it. It's not a particularly nice looking or sounding bike IMO, but one that makes a lot of sense for New Zealand conditions.

I just picked up a 2102 Tiger 800 XC - absolutely love it. The 800 triple is a great motor that has all the torque and grunt you need off road and with 95 hp, it just cruises on the slab. Only one short off road excursion so far, but standing on the pegs and letting it rip is easy and comfortable. ABS is easy to turn off for exploring.

For those vertically challenged, the seat has two low / high riding positions.

IMG_1674_zps19892951.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you look at the link I provided and look down at the red features boxes, on the far right it says it has VTEC. Is that possible? I hadn't heard of that on the 1200 motor.

Archived