4th gen Coil on Plug mod (split thread)

SEBSPEED

Do you have a spare ignition module? If so, just wire each cop to the regular coils lead and plug em in. Make the harness removeable in case it doesnt work, that way u can just plug the old coils back in. You dont even have to remove them, just the boots from the heads.

I do not have a spare ignition module unfortunately. I have a fair amount of spare parts laying around, but never the ones that I want to mod. I'm also looking for the front sprocket cover to cut to pieces, but I don't have one of those either...

Who's going to be the first to run a cop setup on their 4th gen?

I'll have a crack at it :ph34r:

Will we still have Petrol by then? Or wil you have to go all Rockatansky to get some? :laugh:

"If it's all the same to you... I'll drive that tanker."

Who's going to be the first to run a cop setup on their 4th gen?

I'll have a crack at it :ph34r:

Will we still have Petrol by then? Or wil you have to go all Rockatansky to get some? :laugh:

"If it's all the same to you... I'll drive that tanker."

LOVE THIS!

...I plan on making +/- 175whp on the stock individual 4g coils...
so...if that's your tolerance, it's easily achieved by pulling the plugs. :rolleyes: Back to the point. It would be great for those of us who are doing serious modifications where having one less thing to worry about would be great.

I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say here, I assume its some sort of sarcasm that went way over my head.

Maybe you misunderstood me, I'm not trying to shoot you guys down. I've been down this road myself. Truth of the matter is that we have no reason to believe our stock 4g ignitions aren't completely adequate. If you look at Honda's other applications, automotive or motorcycle, they're all stout. Hondas 1.6 sohc vtec D16z6(92-95), makes 125hp stock, but their ignition systems are perfectly adequate up to 400whp. And thats a single distributor coil running 4 cylinders. It was just a question of curiousity, nothing more.

Seb, you're right on track, that kkk turbo is similar to my proposed setup

And yes, I do plan on pretty much doubling crank horsepower. Its something I've been mapping out since I got this thing. I'll be utilizing a Mitsubushi TD05H-14B with a slightly ported 6cm hot side. Turbo flows 405cfm @1bar, aka 14.7psi, Its gonna see maybe 10-sh lbs of that but not before it goes through an intercooler. The main thing that threatens motors with stock internals is detonation. And the design of our motors even with the semi domed piston, has pretty good quench area, therefore I don't really see detonation becoming a problem until the turbo get puts out of its efficiency range. But I've already checked against the compressor map and I'm well within the bigger efficiency islands. I think its more than reasonable to extract another 80whp from this engine with forced induction. And still stay fairly reliable while doing it. If not, you'll see an 'engine wanted' posting from me about this time next year.

I forsee a great many liter bike annihilations for the future.

PS: If somebody makes it work reliable and it gets tested with an oscilloscope to make sure everything is copasetic, I'll probably convert. I just like to put things together as cheaply as possible, while maintaining a decent amount of reliability. And so I deemed it an unnecessary expenditure until such time that I find out otherwise with my turbo setup. I'm not a black cloud, I just insist on doing everything for as little money as possible, having a family makes that a necessity.

• Member Contributer
...I plan on making +/- 175whp on the stock individual 4g coils...
so...if that's your tolerance, it's easily achieved by pulling the plugs. :rolleyes: Back to the point. It would be great for those of us who are doing serious modifications where having one less thing to worry about would be great.

When someone puts a +/- in front of a number, that's usually the tolerance. So, assuming 100HP, your goal is to be between -75 to 275hp.

Points well taken and as far as I can tell, no one here is unhappy with their stock ignition.

There is a potential for improvement, this is what most are chasing with this mod.

The rest of us are chasing an option for smaller packaging and just having options in case of oem failure.

If we can mount up a tps, we could use the ignitech tcip4 with these, as they are built to handle low ohm coils.

Really, we could use the tcip4 without a tps, but we might as well give it a try ;).

Sorry for the confusion, I should have worded better I suppose. What I meant was I'm shooting for 175whp, but that figure may vary, I'll more than likely come in on the low side of things, but peak power isn't really what I'm after either, I'm interested in making a big fat torque curve that looks nice and flat from 5k to 12k RPM. I'll definitely start a build thread once the build commences at the end of this season.

So do we have a consensus on what we think will work best for the 4th Gen VFR?

Replace the stock battery with a smaller and lighter Litium-Iron one, then use the space saved to make more room for the OEM coils?

A smaller and lighter battery offers more scope for being relocated from where it is now. That would pose a challenge of it's own, but in the context of the major mods done when streetfightering, it could rate as one of the simpler ones.

• Member Contributer

Right. But the more room the better. If you're sticking to the stock subframe, then yes you have some extra room there. But if you are making your own subframe or using something else, you might not have the room and may even require a LiFePo battery cause nothing else will fit. Either way, I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile pursuit to move the coils to the OEM battery tray and then run extra long wires everywhere. More wire = more resistance.