4th gen Coil on Plug mod (split thread)

SEBSPEED

All im saying is that there are options out there...

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120mm-38mm-New-Case-Fan-12V-199-7CFM-Waterproof-IP55-Metal-Muffin-Ball-331A-/170743024231?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item27c113ca67#ht_1562wt_941

It is quite possible that this particular fan is not the answer, but if you guys are truly concerned about heat, then i think its time we started looking for alternative cooling solutions. Like i said, can we get some stock fan CFM and air pressure numbers so we have a base line to follow???

Edited by manapuaman1121

• Member Contributer

Instead of a fan you can install an electric water pump that keeps the coolant flowing at a decent rate regardless of engine rpm.

But as KGS mentioned before, this might not be enough in city riding or traffic jams. Okay on a track bike when you're always moving. But the electric water pump will circulate more water at idle than the stock water pump, since it's separate from engine RPM.

Instead of a fan you can install an electric water pump that keeps the coolant flowing at a decent rate regardless of engine rpm.

But as KGS mentioned before, this might not be enough in city riding or traffic jams. Okay on a track bike when you're always moving. But the electric water pump will circulate more water at idle than the stock water pump, since it's separate from engine RPM.

I don't see how this would help anything. Pumping hot coolant quickly through a hot motor isn't going to cool it... it needs a heat exchanger somewhere along the line.

How about plumbing in 2 smaller aftermarket coolers, one in front and one the left side in line with the hose going from water pump to rad? I'm sure that would get you some cooling. With a custom fiberglass duct, the low left side could be pretty efficient and aftermarket coolers will be aluminum, so lighter than stock.

Sort of like the Vyrus...

vyrus-987-c3-4v.jpg

• Member Contributer

No testing this weekend... isle of man is flooded out right now.. lol

That Vyrus bike is hot

The water pump is not on yet, but smaller oil cooler on the right next to oil filter now fitted.

Very impressed with lithium battery allways 14volts! massive standard batteries are falling by the tiny lithiums feet as they die in the cold shed over time.

Am sure the COPs take a while to warm up also? More so than the original coil and plug set up. lots of popping when on the heat too.

Just needs a proper ride really.....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Honda actually addressed hot engine issues with the 4th gen by adding in the often maligned NACA ducts (and air channeling panels) under the fairings in the sides of the fairing, Those and the extractors right behind the rider's knees under the seat help reduce heat saturation at the rear cylinders which makes the 4th gen engines almost too cold when at cruising speeds on the freeway.

Unfortunately,, I think one of the flaws in the design is that some of the hot air from the engine makes its way to the RR aft of the air extractors in the tail fairing....and we know the rest of the story on that one..........

As for adding on an electric water pump to improve cooling on the VFRs, That's almost counter intuitive, as the wimpy charging/electrical systems on the VFRs might not like that extra (constant) load.

Beck

95 VFR....

• Member Contributer

I don't think the VFR electrical system is wimpy per se. It does put out a good amount of extra power for accessory use. The weak point is usually the R/r. So you replace it with a more reliable one from another bike model. The electric water pump probably draws the same amount of power that heated grips do, if that. I wouldn't replace the water pump for an electric for a daily street bike just in case there is an electrical problem, but I would do it for a track bike. Plus you get more coolant flow at low revs since it isn't dependent on engine RPM.

I don't think the VFR electrical system is wimpy per se. It does put out a good amount of extra power for accessory use. The weak point is usually the R/r. So you replace it with a more reliable one from another bike model. The electric water pump probably draws the same amount of power that heated grips do, if that. I wouldn't replace the water pump for an electric for a daily street bike just in case there is an electrical problem, but I would do it for a track bike. Plus you get more coolant flow at low revs since it isn't dependent on engine RPM.

Compared to other bikes of the class it is kinda wimpy. Just does not have as much "surplus" power in the system to keep it from getting overloaded once you start installing accessories on the bike.Remember the charging problems the early 5th gen bikes had just by running high beams for extended times on the road? They had to do a recall to uprate the alternator output on those bikes..If they really want to gun after companies like BMW, at least they should have tried to target their bike's charging outputs and battery specs they have. Maybe at least the same as the ST1100s.....

Edited by Beck

• Member Contributer

Rebump... trying to learn as much as I can.

...plus a question. I picked up a set of 2008 CBR1000 COPs, will these work on a 5th gen? Any suggestions on the gage of wire to run to them? Thanks...

...plus a question. I picked up a set of 2008 CBR1000 COPs, will these work on a 5th gen? Any suggestions on the gage of wire to run to them? Thanks...

Are they three wire or two? You need them to be two wire.

And check the gauge of the wires that are already powering the stock coils of your VFR. Step up one wire size and you should be good.

Hopefully you got the connectors with the coils.

mo4mkSFp7Ylz4XuJqzui1Uw.jpg

And there is another thread for 5th gens here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/67684-5th-gen-coil-on-plug-setup/

• Member Contributer

Are they three wire or two? You need them to be two wire.

The CBR COPS are two wire... thanks for the info and the redirect :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Did we lose our guinea pig? After a job change and life craziness I think I'm back on the path to get working on the vfr again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm working on these for my 4th gen but am having trouble determining what way to wire up the COP's... As far as polarity. Is there a + and a - on the gsxr coils? Maybe I'm blind and I'm missing it...

• Member Contributer

More investigating seems to indicate polarity doesn't really matter with coils... but, I found pictures of those who used a CBR harnesses to adapt their gsxr coils and the common colored wire to all coils (black with a white trace on 4th gen VFR) seems to be on the right looking at the back of the connector with the coil pointing down. I'm using weatherpack type connectors I found on ebay (made to fit denso coils) and they work very well. Plus they are black whereas all the CBR connectors look to be white, which stands out more, and I'm not sure they have the same rubber/silicone seals the weatherpack connectors have.

Maybe this will help someone. I'll post back when I get the bike fired up to let everyone know how it's going :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The gsxr coils are working perfectly :) Fan was moved up to make room for the coils. Basically it was pivoted higher with the top right bolt still intact and made new tabs for the other two mounting bolts. Then I made a new cover for the top portion of the fan that sticks above the radiator. It is a tight fit but it works. I used O-rings around the coils to center then in the holes and seal them a bit. As for the wiring, the common wire to all 4 coils (Black) went on the right of the connector (looking at the back of the coil with the coil pointing down). The bike is running great!

• Member Contributer

Sooo... my bike is not running great anymore. As a heads up to those thinking about this mod I have experienced some issues. I went on a 1000km trip on the weekend and after 800km of the bike running great the last 200km my bike would not hold idle or drive cleanly at small throttle openings as well as stumbling under full throttle (think sitting at a stop light revving the bike to 4000rpm to keep it running... in hot weather). The carbs are clean, the fuel pump is working correctly, and the plugs are new (CR9EH9). After startup the bike would start stumbling after reaching about 80*C +. So I switched back to the old coils and could not replicate the issue. Switching out one of the coils for the GSXR coils one at a time revealed at least 2 of them causing stumbling (though maybe all would if I left them in long enough to get hot).

I am not sure how to determine if one or more of the GSXR coils are faulty, if the spark plugs should be a different heat range (CR8EH9?), or perhaps I am the only one that has ridden over 1000km on a 4th gen with this mod and after the plugs aren't brand new anymore it just doesn't work?

Either way... the old coils seem to be functioning just fine and i want to ride. So I am going to find a place to put them on my naked bike project and hopefully all with be ok.

Take it for what it's worth but I am not sure this is a trouble free mod on a 4th gen VFR :(

The CR9EH-9 plugs are the right heat range for your bike, having regular coils or COPs makes no difference. Maybe the COPs just got too hot. On a trip a few years ago one was riding a frankenviffer where the original coils were relocated, sitting very close to the rear headers. In very warm conditions the coils would overheat makeing the bike stumble and even stall at some point. After putting a bit more space between the coils and the headers all was fine.

Was it only the COPs on the rear cilinders that caused the stumbling?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I don't think it was just the rear COP's, one of the front ones was also stumbling as best I can tell. I don't think 80+ degrees celsius is really that hot, the fan doesn't come on until 102.

Thinking more about it... I think the only three possiblities here are:

1. One or more of my GSXR coils are failing... but why would I have 900km of good riding first? Was it because the plugs were new and masked bad coils?

2. The GSXR coils just don't function properly on the 4th gen VFR unless the plugs are band new?

3. I am having a spark plug issue? Wrong heat range for the GSXR coils?

Anyway, I really would like to figure this out but since the stock coils work fine I think I am going to have to give up on the COP mod for now.

I just wanted to post up my experience for the sake of adding to the information here. As far as I know KGS and I are the only ones to do this mod to a 4th gen. His is working fine at the moment as far as he can tell but is running CR8EH9's.

• Member Contributer

Did anyone do any height measurements to see if there is one that we can use which won't require removing the radiator fan for clearance?