What mods do you have in store for this Spring?

Polarbear

• Member Contributer

Ok, it's Saturday night, the wife is in bed after caring for all three kids all day (one being a newborn) and I'm bored--nothing on tv. (yes, fire away with all the jokes...)

So, I thought I would start this thread. Just wondering what mods you have in store for this year.

As for me, I've got a few. I've been riding a few thousand km every year for the three or four year Ive owned my '03 and I now have a pretty good idea of what I need and want to make the ride better. I already have a few mods on this bike (helibars, vfrness, pcIII + O2 sensors, cramp buster thingy, Pazzo look-alike levers) but thought I could add more.

In the last two years, I've been gathering some bits and pieces to install on it --haven't got time to install them yet:

-speed bleeders (+abs pieces)

-GSXR mirrors with integrated lights

-new pazzo look-alike levers -don't ask...

-Lascar voltmeter

-steering head kit (wiremybike.com)

-new Sargent seat!! Yay!

With any luck, I'll be installing these parts this spring and enjoying them this summer. I hope you're all as excited as me to ride this summer!!

Safe rising everyone!!

C

• Member Contributer

Just got the bike and probably should have ridden awhile before going nuts on mods. One of those mods was a Signal Dynamics Voltage Monitor (not meter). Unfortunately or fortunately, it clued me in to charging system issues that I hadn't noticed.

Other than that monitor, I've completed the following so far this spring:

• Headlight modulator (SDC)
  • brake light modulator (SDC wig wag)
  • Fenderectomy
  • Reflective Rim Wraps - (I like silver against the yellow and it matches the reflective piping on my gear)
  • VFRNess with accessory fuse box
  • Symtec heated grips (finding they only work if your hands are on the grips which is not so good for those who rest their hands on the levers all day)
  • Mirror Extenders (I don't miss seeing my elbows all the time)
  • 12v accessory outlet (waterproof from West Marine). Installed because I was already going to have all the wiring open and figured why not)
  • Stebel horn - much easier than I thought once you figure out where it will go. It's LOUD!
  • eBay pazzo-like levers
  • Flush-mount cowl bolts. This "mod" was instigated when the OEM bolts were stolen - that's another thread
  • Tankslapper clear tank protection.

According to my wife, I'm DONE!! - for this season anyway. My play money fund is nearly depleted. Unfortunately, the charging system woes necessitate the following in the next two weeks.

• New stator and R/R from Rick's through wiremybike.com
  • Adding the additional wiring/grounding indicated in the pinned thread under Electrical

I'll probably also add some blindspot mirrors, finish the tankslapper kit install, and label my spaghetti wiring job. I might also need a new chain before the season is over, but with less than 500 miles on since I bought her in February, I'm trying to postpone anything over $50 at this point.

I'm at an upgrade point for the beginning of the season too. Got the bike in the basement and its in the process of being taken apart so I can clean, grease, tighten, fix everything. I like to strip it down before I start a new season and make sure everything is in order, I leave the motor in it, and other than that pretty much everything comes off.

Just installed fresh Pilot Powers

About to:

Change all fluids

try to fix some of my deteriorating body work

Rebuild forks and convert stock springs to a linear rate .95kg

Install a 1050lb spring on my 954 shock and install that

Install my Micron exhaust, getting hassled about the open header finally

Get Bar end mirrors

Install a lighter socket for my TomTom so I don't have to rely on the battery

Clean out the UNI filter

Fresh set of NGk's

Trying to make sure I'm good and ready for my first TMAC attendance this year.

• Member Contributer

Here's what I'm planning, but not in any particular order:

Steel Braided clutch/brake lines

Dynotune (with PAIR Valve removal)

Upgrade suspension front/rear (not sure if it will be rebuild or replacement. most likely rebuild front, replace rear)

New tires sport/touring (haven't decided which make/model just yet. thinking Dunlop Sport Max Roadsmart 2)

Of course Uncle Sam will dictate if any or all of these will be possible, we'll see what happens after 4/15!

Cheers

Timmy, you forgot #3: apply new dirt

Well not exactly spring, as I've been working slowly on the bike all winter, but:

I installed a new stator as a preventative measure, thermostat for the same reason, swapped out my tweaked LH radiator for a new/used good one, powdercoated my swingarm and valve covers, and got new braided steel brake lines all around.

As soon as i win the lottery, a Torocharger!

My bike is pretty new to me so ive gotta start with the basics.

Just got new tires

Sargent seat

Heated grips

Gut my exhaust (still havent decided between a partial gut and a full gut)

install and accessory fuse box and some powerlet plugs for GPS and chargers

Guest TripleH

I'm thinking of a Sargent seat

VFR8WSb.jpg

VFR8WSa.jpg

I like the idea I can order the front section only, and I will pick up a little extra storage space under the cowl

I just never take a passenger so I don't need the rear seat section, i would rather have the little extra space

• Member Contributer

Power / Fuse Box

Direct wiring for the radar detector

Radar Detector

Re-wire GPS

Install audio splitter for radar / GPS / MP3

Find and fix the ??? leak

Oil change

Wash it

Ride it

New Tires just before SumSumx2

I'd like to look into routing the brake lines inside the swing arm, but doubt that will happen this year.

Oh ya, one more spring mod

Sell my house

Over the winter:

Replaced Corbin with a Sargent

Heated grips

Wingrack and givi bags

Fork seals and tapered head bearings

Front tire

Soon to do:

Axillary fuse panel and a charge port

Rear tire

• Member Contributer

Forks have been sent to Jamie D for tender lovin care

New chain and sprockets - Currently have 27,000ish km and should be able to get at least 4000km more. DID ZM chan and JT sprockets

I have a set of Angel St's that I might throw on, or sell them and go with the Pilot Road 3 ( rear B spec ).

New riding gear.

• Member Contributer

Oh ya, one more spring mod

Sell my house

Do you know any good realtors? :tongue::ph34r:

Yes, actually I'm working with 2. Oh, maybe you didn't know that I'm not licensed anymore.

Guest TripleH

I'll probably also... finish the tankslapper kit install

I just ordered this myself

I spoke to Lucas at Tankslapper and decided to go with the 3M product

And then after more questions I got them to cut me out o fthe same 3M material the pattern for the tank top protection

I'm not looking forward to the install though...

• Member Contributer

I'll probably also... finish the tankslapper kit install

I just ordered this myself

I spoke to Lucas at Tankslapper and decided to go with the 3M product

And then after more questions I got them to cut me out o fthe same 3M material the pattern for the tank top protection

I'm not looking forward to the install though...

Frankly, mine was installed a bit crooked, but it provides the protection I wanted. I think I will just install the part most likely to get rock chips and leave the rest alone.

He didn't have a test bike to fashion a piece for the cowl. He's near San Diego so if there's a 5th gen in his neighborhood, he said he make the mold if someone brought by a cowl.

I kick my cowl every 5th time I get on. Lazy right leg I guess.

Guest TripleH

Frankly, mine was installed a bit crooked, but it provides the protection I wanted. I think I will just install the part most likely to get rock chips and leave the rest alone.

He didn't have a test bike to fashion a piece for the cowl. He's near San Diego so if there's a 5th gen in his neighborhood, he said he make the mold if someone brought by a cowl.

I kick my cowl every 5th time I get on. Lazy right leg I guess.

I'm just doing the tank, I have tried a tank braw, fabric thing, but just don't like covering up so much of the beautiful yellow...

I want to protect he perfect paint on the tank from something nasty on my jeans, as well as something nasty under my magnetic tank bag

I have been talking to the guy who installed the custome kit on my pickup, I'm thinking of buying him a case of beer and goading him into doing my install as he is a pro

:biggrin:

Edited by TripleH