Sixth-Gen LED Taillight Bulb Retrofit

carlitos92

• Member Contributer

So, after seeing a few recommendations for superbrightleds.com, I decided to give them a shot at replacing my sucky 7443 dual-intensity incandescent taillight bulbs.

5080162_syl_7443ll_pri_larg.jpg

The OEM replacements aren't hard to find, but lately the Sylvania version has been burning out on me nearly weekly. I find that more annoying than expensive, but still, I have better things to do than pop my seat off and change bulbs.

After the last bulb burned out, I decided to nip this crap in the bud and look at LED options. Superbrightleds.com has several that will fit our 7443 wedge-base socket, but I decided to go with the biggest and baddest, at about $25 each:

7443-x45T_spec1.jpg

These are red 45-LED SMT devices that put light out in pretty much all directions. Remember to use the same color as your lens (trying to be clever and shine a white LED through a red LED means you get washed-out, pink brake lights.)

Superbrightleds shipped fast and I have no complaints whatsoever. I tried installing the bulbs yesterday, but found that the fact that the LED unit is about 1/4" longer and not rounded like the glass bulb creates problems with the bottom socket. I futzed with it for about 10 minutes and just could not get it in, so I figured I would have to at least loosen the rear cowl to make some room.

I ended up doing the cowlectomy this evening and it takes all of 10 minutes in itself. It's really 8 bolts in two hex sizes. No big deal. I got both LEDs installed and to my eye, they are every bit as bright as the OEM bulbs. More importantly, they are dramatically faster in their illumination; so much so that it is undoubtedly safer to some degree.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup and the service I got. If I don't have to jack with these for a few years, I'll be real, real pleased. Here's a quick vid; LED on top, half-spent incandescent on bottom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCEh24EGdo

• Like 1

Guest Titan800

I installed the same LEDs a little over 8 months ago and I love them. Super bright, instant on off. I'm on their website right now looking around replacements for my turn signals. Considering getting switchbacks for the extra light coverage at night. Ordering a pair of clear covers as well.

I'm drawing a blank and can't find it anywhere. Are the turn signals a 1156 or 1157 bulb? This is a 04 model.

Standard automotive bulbs like the sylvanias pictured above do burn out more frequently. The motorcycle specific bulbs have an additional prong in the middle of the filament to stabilize it and help resist vibrations.

But of course, the LED bulbs are the end all be all solution.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

.......Are the turn signals a 1156 or 1157 bulb? This is a 04 model.

Neither. The front signals are a dual filament bulb, but the 1156/57 bulbs are a round base, push & twist style bulb. The front signals are similar to the rear brake/tail lights.

• Member Contributer

The Front size is the same...If you are planning to move to LED signals remember to also change the Flasher, else you will have the signals flickering at a high speed. You could slow it down by putting a Resistor in between the bulbs but then it defeats the purpose ...loss of heat and voltage.

Guest Titan800

.......Are the turn signals a 1156 or 1157 bulb? This is a 04 model.

Neither. The front signals are a dual filament bulb, but the 1156/57 bulbs are a round base, push & twist style bulb. The front signals are similar to the rear brake/tail lights.

Ok gotcha. So it's just a 7443 wedge type. I'm just going to buy the same LED as the brake light then but as a switchback from Auto Illumination.

Guest Titan800

The Front size is the same...If you are planning to move to LED signals remember to also change the Flasher, else you will have the signals flickering at a high speed. You could slow it down by putting a Resistor in between the bulbs but then it defeats the purpose ...loss of heat and voltage.

Right, I have read that as well. Won't be going that route. I am looking for the high flash rate.

• Member Contributer

Right, I have read that as well. Won't be going that route. I am looking for the high flash rate.

and the guy behind getting epileptic :)

• Like 1

Guest Titan800

and the guy behind getting epileptic :)

Haha yup! Will get their attention for sure. Unless they actually do have a seizure and floor the gas pedal. *shrugs*

Edited by Titan800

• Member Contributer

Any specific style Flasher ( make / Model ) I know it has to be a LED styled unit. I just got a pair of clear front signal lens's for my 2002 that I am going to change around. Going with the Orange 45-LED SMT for the front signals

• Member Contributer
Any specific style Flasher ( make / Model ) I know it has to be a LED styled unit. I just got a pair of clear front signal lens's for my 2002 that I am going to change around. Going with the Orange 45-LED SMT for the front signals

I believe coderighter or someone has a thread on modding a flasher or a replacement flasher that works... Try a search. I found it when I was looking for LED into but don't have it now.

Just so you are aware, with those 45-LED SMTs like mine above, you can definitely make out the "points of light" of each LED, even through a colored lens. It's just an aesthetic issue, but just didn't want you thinking the light was quite as blobulous as my video makes it seem. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Look on ebay - that is where i got mine...You may have to alter the hold/connectors...That is what i did. The good part is these LED flashers also work with normal bulbs.

I bought mine abt 3 yrs ago and still running.

LED Blinker - Step1

LED Blinkers - Step3

LED Blinkers - Step4

LED Blinkers - Step5

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Actually, starting '06 Honda stopped using dual filament bulbs and used a flasher with regulator to light the bulbs for running light mode, the Ebay flashers won't work. There's a way around it that's pretty cool if you're still interested.

• 6 months later...
Actually, starting '06 Honda stopped using dual filament bulbs and used a flasher with regulator to light the bulbs for running light mode, the Ebay flashers won't work. There's a way around it that's pretty cool if you're still interested.

I am interested! I have held off for a few years, wondering about that running light issue.

Please share... LEDs might make the mod list this spring...

Thanks,

RJH

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So is this the correct one to order to replace the tail lights and brake lights on my 2004?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/products/tail-brake-turn/634,1013/

That's what I bought. Apparently you have to make sure that you order the red bulbs for a red taillight lens. That's what I did and it looks just fine.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

So, after seeing a few recommendations for superbrightleds.com, I decided to give them a shot at replacing my sucky 7443 dual-intensity incandescent taillight bulbs.

5080162_syl_7443ll_pri_larg.jpg

The OEM replacements aren't hard to find, but lately the Sylvania version has been burning out on me nearly weekly. I find that more annoying than expensive, but still, I have better things to do than pop my seat off and change bulbs.

After the last bulb burned out, I decided to nip this crap in the bud and look at LED options. Superbrightleds.com has several that will fit our 7443 wedge-base socket, but I decided to go with the biggest and baddest, at about $25 each:

7443-x45T_spec1.jpg

These are red 45-LED SMT devices that put light out in pretty much all directions. Remember to use the same color as your lens (trying to be clever and shine a white LED through a red LED means you get washed-out, pink brake lights.)

Superbrightleds shipped fast and I have no complaints whatsoever. I tried installing the bulbs yesterday, but found that the fact that the LED unit is about 1/4" longer and not rounded like the glass bulb creates problems with the bottom socket. I futzed with it for about 10 minutes and just could not get it in, so I figured I would have to at least loosen the rear cowl to make some room.

I ended up doing the cowlectomy this evening and it takes all of 10 minutes in itself. It's really 8 bolts in two hex sizes. No big deal. I got both LEDs installed and to my eye, they are every bit as bright as the OEM bulbs. More importantly, they are dramatically faster in their illumination; so much so that it is undoubtedly safer to some degree.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup and the service I got. If I don't have to jack with these for a few years, I'll be real, real pleased. Here's a quick vid; LED on top, half-spent incandescent on bottom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCEh24EGdo

Carlitos, can you explain the "cowlectomy" in a little more detail? I ask as I am wanting to add the LED bulbs as well.. Is it as easy as loosening the rear cowl, shoving it back and then tightening it back down??

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Video not working .

Switch, I see it but it's really the vid from post #1. I just quoted it as it had the section about the "cowlectomy". The vid just shows how bright the LED bulbs are. I just wanted to get the detail on how to do the cowlectomy to make the bulbs fit.

Here is the direct quote:

"I tried installing the bulbs yesterday, but found that the fact that the LED unit is about 1/4" longer and not rounded like the glass bulb creates problems with the bottom socket. I futzed with it for about 10 minutes and just could not get it in, so I figured I would have to at least loosen the rear cowl to make some room. I ended up doing the cowlectomy this evening and it takes all of 10 minutes in itself. It's really 8 bolts in two hex sizes. No big deal. I got both LEDs installed and to my eye, they are every bit as bright as the OEM bulbs."

Anyone know what needs to be done? I don't get how loosening the cowl allows the new bottom LED bulb to fit. Isn't the housing for the rear tail light/turn signals a single unit?

Thanks all!

• Member Contributer

To save shipping, I'm looking over here in the UK.

Would this be the correct size, fitting, rating etc?

• Member Contributer

Video not working .

Switch, I see it but it's really the vid from post #1. I just quoted it as it had the section about the "cowlectomy". The vid just shows how bright the LED bulbs are. I just wanted to get the detail on how to do the cowlectomy to make the bulbs fit.

Here is the direct quote:

"I tried installing the bulbs yesterday, but found that the fact that the LED unit is about 1/4" longer and not rounded like the glass bulb creates problems with the bottom socket. I futzed with it for about 10 minutes and just could not get it in, so I figured I would have to at least loosen the rear cowl to make some room. I ended up doing the cowlectomy this evening and it takes all of 10 minutes in itself. It's really 8 bolts in two hex sizes. No big deal. I got both LEDs installed and to my eye, they are every bit as bright as the OEM bulbs."

Anyone know what needs to be done? I don't get how loosening the cowl allows the new bottom LED bulb to fit. Isn't the housing for the rear tail light/turn signals a single unit?

Thanks all!

Thanks

• Member Contributer

To save shipping, I'm looking over here in the UK.

Would this be the correct size, fitting, rating etc?

Anybody?

You can probably tell I'm not much good with electrickery. :wacko: