Guest eamann

Using thicker oil will help, but using a buffer like they did in my example, will also help. The fluid wil not be drawn up and dawn so quickeley.

Putting some kind of restriction in the lines, with only a tiny hole trough it may also be helpfull. (this is the method used in the carbtune)

• Member Contributer

How much should I adjust them with the engine off?

You have to make adjustments with the motor running.

Chuck

Incorrect. You can make adjustments while the engine is off. So you are going to want to make adjustments on those two carbs while the engine is off to get them to a point where it's not going to suck the oil in. Just beware that on start some lines will jump up but then settle down a bit. Then you can leave the engine running and continue the sync.

The only reason you need the engine running is because you need live feedback on how your adjustments affect the sync.

As the man in orthopedic shoes said, I stand corrected. I was really referring to fine tuning here, not getting it in the ballpark to begin with. But I can appreciate what you are saying.

• Member Contributer

So... I understand DIY stuff is fun but I have trouble seeing the benefit of going to trouble and expense of making one of these when you can buy one for $90.

And in reality, it only took me about 15 minutes to put the whole contraption together, so if it does work correctly, it's definitely worth it. The only reason it wouldn't work is if there is an air leak in the bottom of the thing by the connectors. Not a difficult issue to fix.

Pretty much that. It doesn't take long to get it. AND, since you're using oil instead of mercury, you end up with a much more sensitive device. The longest part when putting mine together was waiting for the oil to level out enough between the four lines when I first filled them.

Using the jars is a pretty good idea.

• Member Contributer

So... I understand DIY stuff is fun but I have trouble seeing the benefit of going to trouble and expense of making one of these when you can buy one for $90.

And in reality, it only took me about 15 minutes to put the whole contraption together, so if it does work correctly, it's definitely worth it. The only reason it wouldn't work is if there is an air leak in the bottom of the thing by the connectors. Not a difficult issue to fix.

Pretty much that. It doesn't take long to get it. AND, since you're using oil instead of mercury, you end up with a much more sensitive device. The longest part when putting mine together was waiting for the oil to level out enough between the four lines when I first filled them.

Using the jars is a pretty good idea.

Makes sense and seems like a fun project. I just wanted to understand the logic there... thanks guys!

• Member Contributer

Interesting Yankee ingenuity here.

I'm more of a Morgan Carbtune fan as it works like a charm and is very reasonably priced, but it is fun to see this type of Rube Goldberg set-up.

On this note, engine running to synchronize (the Factory synch tool makes this a whole lot easier).

Archived