Front brake lever Shortened

Monk

Just reduced the length of my stock front brake lever.

1st cut it off square with my angle cutter ; Then rounded the end to the shape I wanted on my bench grinder

Then used my wire wheel BG'r to smooth things out ; next using my Dremmel I made a indent/scoop at the end of the lever for my finger and smoothed it all out ; Then using my dremmel again with jewelers tips took out the imperfections and glossed the finish, which I'll get back on it tomorrow as I still see areas I need to work on with assorted sandpapers.

DSC00443

DSC00444

DSC00445

DSC00446

1st I'd like to say this post is a prim example of how thoughtful the ppl are on this forum, out of 77 ppl that viewed it, not one made a bad comment about my mod to my brake lever.

So to move on with the function that I was trying to achieve ... I love it, it is so much easier to switch the amount of fingers I'm using, which I have been doing for years, and with the lever being shorter I can swing my fingers around the end much faster than keeping them curled until I clear from under it.

The problem I've been having with the after market shorties is, they weren't short enough for what I wanted. So if you can't buy it, make it. I went over it today after my ride and did the muti-diff grades of water sandpapers to clean'er up.

• Member Contributer

Very clean, I like the little finger indent on the end.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

1st I'd like to say this post is a prim example of how thoughtful the ppl are on this forum, out of 77 ppl that viewed it, not one made a bad comment about my mod to my brake lever.

Well - I think your nutz, your giving up a lot of leverage when you really need to grab a handful of brake.

- But to each his own. :smile:

Well - I think your nutz, your giving up a lot of leverage when you really need to grab a handful of brake.

- But to each his own. :smile:

I'd agree, if I didn't know from my past history of riding (with a few panic stops thrown in) that the part of the lever that I did use in those instances are still on the bike. That's what gave me a "Where should I cut" line.

You can get shorty Chinese pazzo knockoff levers all day long on eBay for cheap. Any colour you like. 42 bucks including shipping.

I've tried those on other ppls bikes and the shorties are to long for me, there was a set that I liked on a BMW , they where aftermarket for the Beemer "only".

has it helped you the way you brake ?

Yes, Because I switch the amount of fingers I use depending on what's going on.

If I'm going though S's I use one finger........ VS's a hard braking situation where I'd use 3 fingers.

Now it's easier/faster.

Guest kbyte255

I've used the same set up several times, after crashing and breaking off sections of the lever. I rode a Ducati 900SSSP home from the Dragon, back in the nineties, with only that much clutch lever left. That said, I prefer a full length lever. I used to drill a hole in my levers about half way, just so they would break off and leave enough to get home on. Not that I drop my bikes alot, or anything. : )

I've used the same set up several times, after crashing and breaking off sections of the lever. I rode a Ducati 900SSSP home from the Dragon, back in the nineties, with only that much clutch lever left. That said, I prefer a full length lever. I used to drill a hole in my levers about half way, just so they would break off and leave enough to get home on. Not that I drop my bikes alot, or anything. : )

Even though you prefer a longer lever, what was your opinion of the shorter (broken) version on the ride back to Ohio?

How many fingers do you use when/where on a normal long lever.

Where I'm coming from is a 3-day class with Keith Code in the early 80's. At that time I was using all 4 on the lever, and he told me to adjust to my own strength, as some may use 1 finger and someone else may use 3 or 2. The key is to find control to get her slowed down, without losing traction. So if I use too many fingers, I'm more likely to apply too much. He said to learn to use a different amount of fingers for the application needed at the time, and that a lot of riders find a hand position and never try anything else, that "with any" riding changes it's going to take time using the new change to see if it works better.

Back to me and not KC. I've noticed some ppl that keep their thumb and index around the throttle and brake with the out-side fingers(as was mentioned from a post from Mello Dude about leverage) .... I've even tried this but found it was harder on my hand to hold in that position(I did give it some time) where as I can ride all day with one finger lying over the lever and no hand cramps(it even fills uncomfortable with all four on the throttle).

Guest kbyte255

The shorter lever was fine and I used to ride that way all the time anyway (two fingers braking and clutching.) I took the advanced rider course about six years ago and the instructor called me on it. Wanted me using all my fingers on the levers. I am willing to abandon my own version of what is right (sometimes temporarily) to try something new so I gave it a go, for the rest of the course, and for the next couple months. I ultimately agreed with the instructor and have pretty much stuck with it.

Stop and go traffic or very minor corrections in speed will sometimes get one or two finger "touch" but I look at it as a tool kit. I have all my fingers and use what I need/want for the situation.