Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• Member Contributer

In addition to my Electrical Connection idiot light voltmeter, I have been running a radar detector recently. One of the modes of the Redline is to show volts. Works great even direct sunlight.

Seriously, you need all that stuff when out riding?

That is my full tour kit. Most of it is handy when I am on big tour say in Canada.

med_gallery_2144_4694_408609.jpg

Although on short day rides out of the house I do take just the RD....seriously!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I went with this one, simple install and works perfect!

post-25407-0-46590600-1430969098.jpg

i mounted the controller under my fairing next to the fuse box

post-25407-0-51362400-1430969081.jpgpost-25407-0-22563500-1430969086.jpg

its right under my windscreen, super easy to see

post-25407-0-24052700-1430969091.jpg

post-25407-0-24342800-1430969095.png

• Member Contributer

Cool. Thanks!

Was it tricky to cut the hole for it?

That's the sort of thing I would screw up & then it would not look good at all.

It was not too bad, but it didn't turn out perfect either. Just patience and an Xacto knife. If you screw up, a new replacement piece is much cheaper than an entire gauge surround.

Does it create any problem if you need to take that small cover off to do something like change the shield?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm hoping to get some advice with wiring a volt meter. This is the one I got. http://www.lascarelectronics.com/temperaturedatalogger.php?datalogger=116

My problem is the very small gauge the wires are that are on it. Not sure the actual gauge but they're the same as the phone wires in my old house. I'd say they're the smallest that wires come.

I want to figure out a way of connecting them to the 16g wires that my bike is already wired with which are for the volt meter that I'm replacing. I'm thinking twisting them together & then soldering them but I have very little experience with soldering.

It also came with a Transient Voltage Suppressor(TVS) which Lascar says should be used to protect the meter from voltage spikes when it is used in automotive applications. Would you use it? Not sure how I would connect that either.

I've got one of those. In fact I've had it for several years. The wires are very thin. Very dumb design.

I wound up removing the back of the meter and soldering in new wire. I used several feet of model airplane servo wire so I could run it all the way back to the battery, complete with a servo connector on the end. It was a very delicate soldering operation, so I probably would not recommend it if you're not experienced with small electronics. Sorry, I guess that's not much help.

Oh, be aware that it's not waterproof, so mount it in a place that won't be exposed to direct rain.

• Member Contributer

Thanks checksix.

My bike never sees rain so I'm not concerned about that.

• Member Contributer

I used positwist for my SDC led volt meter

• Member Contributer

I'm considering trying a Posi-Twist if I can find one locally.

http://www.posi-products.com/twist2.html

They're tough (if not impossible) to find at retailers. A local NAPA store has a limited selection of a knock-off brand in the most common types. I ordered from their website and am really happy with their products. I have a selection of them in various places on my 6th gen - they work great. Usually the smaller packages on their website have free shipping.

• Member Contributer

Those look interesting. I've never seen them before. Are they up to the abuse of motorcycle use?

• Member Contributer

Posi-locks are certainly not better than a permanent solution (crimp, solder & glue-filled shrink wrap), but they will work in a pinch.

Ciao,

:fing02: for all whit a analog one, I just like them.

Sorry digital boys......yours are cool to, but analog just a tad more cool :cool:

• Member Contributer

Here's mine on a 6th gen but since the install is based on a GPS Ram Mount attached to the tank it could be used for most any gen.

Accessories pic 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This item is no longer available.

Do you have a question? CALL US AT: 877.456.7901 or 386.736.7900

social_FB.gif social_Twitter.gif

You got the last one .

Roll On ...

• Member Contributer

I'm considering trying a Posi-Twist if I can find them locally.

http://www.posi-products.com/twist2.html

I bought mine here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/posi-locks-for-sale.htm

I'm still deciding where to put my Datel in my 6th gen. I like the idea of picking a smaller black section of plastic to mount the meter.

You got the last one .

Roll On ...

:laugh: It's kinda cool but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up on the 1200. They are available elsewhere if you wanted one.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0157-Disconnect-Voltage/dp/B00DJ5KE9A

m0F9K6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's mine. Just installed it this weekend. More to this than meets the eye so I'll post on a separate thread as it includes installation of a PDM60 power module.

PDM%20Install%2003_zpsazhma1s7.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's mine. Just installed it this weekend. More to this than meets the eye so I'll post on a separate thread as it includes installation of a PDM60 power module.

PDM%20Install%2003_zpsazhma1s7.jpg

That's a handsome looking meter.

A friend of mine just installed the gauge from the link below on his Gold Wing and it looks cool too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-52mm-Digital-20-LED-Elec-Volt-Voltmeter-Voltage-Gauge-Meter-For-Car-Motor-SL-/221355919663?hash=item3389d7492f&vxp=mtr

• Member Contributer

I didn't want any holes, so I went with this Koso and a little velcro. Wire has since been tucked away.

20140620_015437.jpg

• Member Contributer

I didn't want any holes, so I went with this Koso and a little velcro. Wire has since been tucked away.

20140620_015437.jpg

That looks great. It's also prominent and easy to read.

Archived