Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• Member Contributer

I have an earlier version of the SparkBright, there's no sexy name along with it (not sure if it's auto-dimming, which would be useful--I'll have to check), and there is another company doing similar LEDs on UK eBay: Link. Not auto-dimming, though.

I'm a belts and braces kind of guy, so I have a voltmeter and an LED monitor, "just in case"... :wink:

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take on the voltmeter. It's sort of like a Swiss Army Knife solution.

I orginally wanted to install a Datel 2-Wire Voltmeter, but I didnt' want to have to cut any plastic. I settled on running two Battery Tender SAE connectors up front. On one I placed a Battery Tender USB charger QDC (Quick Disconnect). On the other a Battery Tender Digital Voltage Indicator with LED Display (also Quick Disconnect). The USB connector powers my cel phone/music/gps/etc. The Digital Voltage Indicator shows a digital readout of the voltage when the ignition is on and the button is pressed. It also has red, yellow and green light indicators (again only when the ignition is on and the button is pressed).

This isn't a "constant on" solution, nor is it the cleanest install (I used zip ties), but it did allow me to not have to cut any plastic. It also allows me to quick disconnect either the USB or the Digital Voltage Indicator and add any of the Battery Tender accessories (USB Charger, Digital Voltage Indicator, Female Cigarette Adapter, Male Cigareete Light Adapter, 12' or 15' Extension Leads or any of the Battery Tender Chargers to charge the battery.

I currently have these hooked up to a relay in my Denali PowerHub 2 Fuse Block which allows "switched" or "unswitched" connections.

I also cut a 15' Extension Lead in half and ran it directly from my battery to the tail of my bike (the SAE connector) where I use the quick disconnect to connect my Battery Tender Charger. This also allows me at any time to use the quick disconnect and add any of the available accessories to the tail of my bike.

VoltMeter 01

VoltMeter 02

VoltMeter 03

• Member Contributer

My SparkBright Eclipse mounting. I love this thing. Its just my personal preference to have an unobtrusive go/no go indicator. I don't want numbers, multiple led gauges etc. I have it hooked to the always hot side of my Centech Ap2. Strolling through the garage out of the corner of my eye I can verify Tender function and on road trips battery state when the old girl is parked. Andrew is a great guy and will program your LED functions to suit prior to shipping. I was going to order one up for my home stand by generator, if one of you electrical guru's would suggest better "engine running" values for a fifth gen VFr I would get one set up like that and use this one on the genset. I'm fine with the battery status numbers. http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

001.jpg

011.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's my take on the voltmeter. It's sort of like a Swiss Army Knife solution.

I orginally wanted to install a Datel 2-Wire Voltmeter, but I didnt' want to have to cut any plastic. I settled on running two Battery Tender SAE connectors up front. On one I placed a Battery Tender USB charger QDC (Quick Disconnect). On the other a Battery Tender Digital Voltage Indicator with LED Display (also Quick Disconnect). The USB connector powers my cel phone/music/gps/etc. The Digital Voltage Indicator shows a digital readout of the voltage when the ignition is on and the button is pressed. It also has red, yellow and green light indicators (again only when the ignition is on and the button is pressed).

This isn't a "constant on" solution, nor is it the cleanest install (I used zip ties), but it did allow me to not have to cut any plastic. It also allows me to quick disconnect either the USB or the Digital Voltage Indicator and add any of the Battery Tender accessories (USB Charger, Digital Voltage Indicator, Female Cigarette Adapter, Male Cigareete Light Adapter, 12' or 15' Extension Leads or any of the Battery Tender Chargers to charge the battery.

I currently have these hooked up to a relay in my Denali PowerHub 2 Fuse Block which allows "switched" or "unswitched" connections.

I also cut a 15' Extension Lead in half and ran it directly from my battery to the tail of my bike (the SAE connector) where I use the quick disconnect to connect my Battery Tender Charger. This also allows me at any time to use the quick disconnect and add any of the available accessories to the tail of my bike.

I had the same concerns / objections about using a Datel on my 6th gen. I avoided cutting any plastic by mounting it in a small project box and installing it under the gauge cluster. I can scrounge up a photo if you'd like.

Not a 5th gen but I had the same location on my 4th as I do on my 6th gen. I just velcro-ed it to the leading edge of my ignition box. I've never had it come loose. Just make sure you put it low enough that it clears the lower edge of your instrument cluster because it turns with your bars!

I did the same. 6 bucks and 10 minutes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought a voltmeter from Wire my Bike two years ago but haven't attempted to install because i don't know squat about wiring. I thought about wiring it directly to the battery with a simple on-off switch so it doesn't draw current when not operating.

Will this work? What parts do i need?

• Member Contributer

My SparkBright Eclipse mounting. I love this thing. Its just my personal preference to have an unobtrusive go/no go indicator. I don't want numbers, multiple led gauges etc. I have it hooked to the always hot side of my Centech Ap2. Strolling through the garage out of the corner of my eye I can verify Tender function and on road trips battery state when the old girl is parked. Andrew is a great guy and will program your LED functions to suit prior to shipping. I was going to order one up for my home stand by generator, if one of you electrical guru's would suggest better "engine running" values for a fifth gen VFr I would get one set up like that and use this one on the genset. I'm fine with the battery status numbers. http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

Wow, it seems that someone else is as neurotic about wiring as I am. Pictures of my system coming soon, I ended up cutting and rebuilding large portions of my wiring harness. No more OEM fuse box, no more switching 4 circuits with the ignition switch, better charging circuit, RoadsterCycle R/R, weatherproof connectors...

• Member Contributer

I just noticed that there are at least three different Honda round voltmeter gauges in just this thread. Mine was made by VDO (post #67), but the ones in post #124 and #60 are both somewhat different and may have been made by other companies (for Honda). Hmmm.

There are a few Honda branded marine voltmeters including with white (which would be good for folks buying a new Pearl 800) or black bezels and faces, as well as flat or domed lens, different dial/face types and side lit or back lit.

A long time ago I made a note of the following part number: 37450-ZW5-000ZA. Searching on that leads to all sorts of stuff. Or just look up honda marine voltmeter. Here is a nifty page:

http://www.advancedmower.com/honda/marine/gauges.htm

FWIW it's cool to get a Honda -branded gauge but y'all don't necessarily need to limit yourselves:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-gauges/individual-gauges/volt-amp-hertz?limit=all

This mod is on my to do list including backlit display :biggrin:

As far as I know the Honda meters are already backlit, if you wire it correctly.

• Member Contributer

3rd gens have a large fuel switch in that location from new

post-8974-0-26158000-1428481220.jpg

• Member Contributer

Non-US ones, anyway...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Non-US ones, anyway...

Ciao,

Non-North American ones, anyway....eh

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For those that didn't see it on my build thread, here's my voltmeter. Not so bright that it glares at night, but readable in direct sunlight. A tinted shield helps.

IMAG0322_1_zpsmt5uwvct.jpg

• Member Contributer

In addition to my Electrical Connection idiot light voltmeter, I have been running a radar detector recently. One of the modes of the Redline is to show volts. Works great even direct sunlight.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1178549.jpg

• Member Contributer

For those that didn't see it on my build thread, here's my voltmeter. Not so bright that it glares at night, but readable in direct sunlight. A tinted shield helps.

I like that. Where did you get it?

• Member Contributer

Cool. Thanks!

Was it tricky to cut the hole for it?

That's the sort of thing I would screw up & then it would not look good at all.

• Member Contributer

In addition to my Electrical Connection idiot light voltmeter, I have been running a radar detector recently. One of the modes of the Redline is to show volts. Works great even direct sunlight.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1178549.jpg

Seriously, you need all that stuff when out riding?

• Member Contributer

Cool. Thanks!

Was it tricky to cut the hole for it?

That's the sort of thing I would screw up & then it would not look good at all.

It was not too bad, but it didn't turn out perfect either. Just patience and an Xacto knife. If you screw up, a new replacement piece is much cheaper than an entire gauge surround.

Archived