Post your Voltmeter mount pics

RedShed

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

A little Z bracket with two holes drilled for the tank bolts to pass through. Connected it to the switched ignition wire group. soldered and taped and forgotten. Monitoring is smart!

IMG_3729_edited.jpg

• Member Contributer

On the SP I (re)use the Signal Dynamics LED voltmeter from redslut

IMAG7135.thumb.jpg.f68f657b6f2fe2788d5074ec646922fd.jpg

On the VF, old skool VDO :-)

IMAG7134.thumb.jpg.73dcecc653fe39e6b4a42ef82dee31bd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My VFR1100ST, with a gauge that looks like it is meant to be there (but its not...): Honda marine gauge, fitted in the headlight adjuster receptacle.

IMG_3027.JPG

• Member Contributer

Mine is reverse LCD, it looks white on black in full sun, and red on black at night.

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Haha...  Yeah.

All the discussion on R/R failing made the R1 piece and this meter the first mods I did.  But I didn't want to spend too much money on my first attempt putting a meter on.  So this was the result.  Working well so far.

I was too afraid to cut holes in my lovely new (to me) VFR800, so I decided to go 'old school' and fit an LED voltmeter to the mounting bracket for my heated grips. The end result may look a bit 'Radio Shack', but I think that the two units match each other very well and that the LEDs don't really look out of place next to the heated grip control. YMMV :wink: , of course.

2017_07_18._P1000794__DMC-LX100_with__le

2017_07_18._P1000795__DMC-LX100_with__le

Thanks a lot Photobucket :mad: !

• 5 months later...

Just bought one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V-Motorcycle-Motocicleta-Volt-Meter-Gauge-Car-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Voltage-Volt-Meter/32810414939.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.yUVruO

Now just need some advice on what wire I need to attached to it. 

I've got a choice of buying 3, 5, 8, 17, 27 amp.

So which should I use?

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Steve said:

Just bought one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V-Motorcycle-Motocicleta-Volt-Meter-Gauge-Car-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Voltage-Volt-Meter/32810414939.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.yUVruO

So which should I use?

If it's just a voltmeter you are buying it won't have a current rating, as it doesn't draw any current (for the purposes of this discussion).

Based on this, you probably mean you need to specify a voltage rating which will determine the measurement range of the gauge.  In which case, the nearest best choice is 17v, as your 12v car/bike battery will have ~14v as measured when it's running (charging from your alternator/stator).

• 3 months later...

My first attempt at fitting a voltmeter involved using this rather 'Radio Shack' looking, multi-LED device, which I mounted on the bracket for the heated grips controller :unsure: ...

w5QTz_owj7Vk6IFxZ7dGK0ky-rhFv8X0Fx6QmCQ1

However, it was hard to read and so I finally decided to take the plunge and have a hole cut in the right hand side fairing, so that my brother could kindly fit this one for me :cool: ...

2018_04_14._P1010117__(DMC-LX100_with__lens_at_75_mm,_¹⁄₂₀₀_sec_at_ƒ_-_2.8_at_ISO_200)-2.jpg

It is easy to read and very conveniently covers over a spot where I spilled some brake fluid on the paintwork :blush: .

• Member Contributer
On 1/2/2018 at 11:43 PM, Steve said:

Just bought one of these

So which should I use?

Old thread, but just saw this.  The meter reads 5-15v, which is a bit low, considering that "in-spec" goes all the way up to 14.8v on this model of VFR.  Anyway, the wire gauge required for a voltmeter is not large at all.  Use the smallest wire that is sturdy enough to survive the motorcycle environment.

Ciao,

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

DATEL  8V-50V meter wired into the R/R side of the Roadstercycle relay, so even if fuses start popping or before the breaker trips, I can see how much voltage is coming out of the R/R. This is very important to diagnose what went wrong. I used a relay, triggered by the license plate light, used Velcro for the mounting, and drilled a small hole for the wire. 

61A0615B-D7A9-4D45-9287-22F6F8FC6C8D.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

Still a great thread :beer:

I totally agree.  The creativity is amazing. 

• Member Contributer

Purchased a small 3 wire voltmeter from fleeBay. The beauty of a 3 wire device (positive and negative sense wires and a power source wire) is it can be connected directly and permanently to the battery which is what I want, the third wire is then connected to any switched positive to power the voltmeter, the voltmeter only powers up with Ignition to ON. No relay/switch required. Had this on for the last 12 months, works great. Just for info the 8gen has a very stable 14.5v output under all conditions, says a lot for the fancy new R/R.

Cheers. :beer:

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I admit a blue meter would fit better woth the theme... No holes needed. Its Just held on with double sided tape. The little green LED is the cruise control status indicator.

20180818_120014.jpg

Archived