95 Cooler Minimalization

Guest BallsDeepinCO

Guest BallsDeepinCO

I have this 95 that I am putting back together and want some opinions on radiator options. I don't like how wide the stock cooler is as it extends past the frame on either side. The options that I have considered are a swap from another bike or a custom built radiator. If at all possible I would like to have an integrated oil cooler. Im open to anything so give it your best.

P.S. Going for a minimalist look with no front fairings.

post-23859-0-20806900-1330795228.jpg

Guest BallsDeepinCO

Here is how it looks with the stock radiator. Maybe I am being overambitious in pursuit of the ultimate stripped down motorcycle but if I can make it a little more streamlined I will be satisfied.

post-23859-0-66306400-1331002270.jpg

(these are both desogned to mount vertically)

kawalski vulcan 800

$(KGrHqZHJ!4E7)t)J3+bBPGwMNipU!~~60_12.JPG

and I have one of these in my grubby little paws right now:

!C!L+qzg!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEzIRR+eYbBNB+IFhCu!~~_3.JPG

!C!L+wigB2k~$(KGrHqUOKm4Ez7W1e0MtBNB+IWTbDQ~~_3.JPG

your for very cheep if you want it.

Guest BallsDeepinCO

Let me ask this. Does the material which the finned tubes are made of vary much from say a '95 to a '12 radiator? Is there any benefit to using a newer model radiator rather than an older one, aside from wear and tear?

Guest BallsDeepinCO

I don't think that the vertical idea would work after all. The front cylinder heads would be in the way of really getting anything to fit between them and the front wheel. I was also thinking about a dirt-bike radiator. It may sound crazy and you think that it wouldn't have enough cooling capacity but with the fairings removed this substantially increases the convection heat transfer from the engine and also if I wrap the front exhaust header I can get even cooler air coming around. Maybe its still not enough but there's really only one way to find out, other than doing some insane analysis, plus I think it would look sweet with a small aluminum radiator in there.

Very roughly put, horsepower = heat so select a radiator from a bike with similar horsepower to yours and you should be pretty good.

I would not go too small on the cooling as you may regret that on a hot day in traffic.

Let me ask this. Does the material which the finned tubes are made of vary much from say a '95 to a '12 radiator? Is there any benefit to using a newer model radiator rather than an older one, aside from wear and tear?

No benefit other than physical condition of the rad.

The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed much, LOL!