Toggle switch install with no drilling through fairing

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

So I wanted to put in a toggle switch that would allow me to change maps/setting on my PCV but I didn't want to drill any holes in the fairing/body panels. I found this small toggle switch that is the same diameter as the fairing quick release "rivet" and was able to replace this with the toggle switch. It does double duty, it gives me a toggle switch and fills essentially the same purpose as the "rivet". It cost me $2.80 + tax for the toggle switch and the water proof cover, Took 15 minutes to install and I was able to route the wire through the right hand side panel and then across the frame under the tank and under the seat where my PCV is located.

Cheers.

post-23057-0-00094500-1330498066.jpg

post-23057-0-08450900-1330498081.jpg

post-23057-0-46881300-1330498104.jpg

post-23057-0-18143000-1330498114.jpg

post-23057-0-80447700-1330498169.jpg

• Member Contributer

I found a nice handlebar mounted toggle that would work for the PCV. I was going to get this for switching my maps, but I got the pushbutton for the quickshift feature instead. I'm mounting a toggle under the seat near the PCV since I don't think I'll need to switch maps on-the-fly.

It's $38 at http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AR-STT

post-23306-0-19951700-1330499710.jpg

Edited by Aegisranger

• Member Contributer

That's brilliant. The only downside is the small amount of extra work when you need to remove the bezel but how many times are you going to do that anyway.

I also wanted a way to install my grip heater switch without drilling and found it fit perfectly in the steering column.

gallery_17747_5163_25356.jpg

BC

• Member Contributer

I found a nice handlebar mounted toggle that would work for the PCV. I was going to get this for switching my maps, but I got the pushbutton for the quickshift feature instead. I'm mounting a toggle under the seat near the PCV since I don't think I'll need to switch maps on-the-fly.

It's $38 at http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AR-STT

My current intention is to get the bike Dyno tuned and have it done for Max performance and then have them tweak it for Max MPG. Not sure if the is practical but thought it would be cool to be able to switch modes per say. I also see others doing this to toggle between a set map and the Auto-tune device.

That's brilliant. The only downside is the small amount of extra work when you need to remove the bezel but how many times are you going to do that anyway.

I also wanted a way to install my grip heater switch without drilling and found it fit perfectly in the steering column.

BC

That's along the same vein too, very nice. Personally I don't think I'll need to remove the bezel too often or at all, but even so another minute or two for the switch ain't bad.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

That looked great, so I did the same thing on my bike and love it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

what are the switches for?

Left to right

Toggle switch to shift betweem steble horn and normal bosch

Hazard light

Fork mounted LED lights

I have changed this a little added a dimmer for the LED. Will post later

what are the switches for?

Left to right

Toggle switch to shift betweem steble horn and normal bosch

Hazard light

Fork mounted LED lights

I have changed this a little added a dimmer for the LED. Will post later

Nice!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I know this is an old post but I have a little update. I recently moved the switch to the left side of the console. Reason is that I had a blown fuse and to get to the fuse box, you have to remove the top right panel, which also means you have to remove the fastener that the switch currently acts as. Although I was able to access the fuse box without having to completely remove the switch, it is easier to not have the switch located there.

• Member Contributer

you should move or extend the fuse box under the seat...

I was thinking something similar.

• Member Contributer

Yeah that fuse box is always kind of a PITA to get to. I'm always thinking I'm going to bust the tabs off that small piece of cowling...