Quick Shifter for Power Commander

Aegisranger

• Member Contributer

Has anyone used the Quick Shifter?

I'm in the process of installing my new PCV and I became interested in the Quick Shifter ability of the unit. DynoJet sells their handlebar mounted button for aprox. $140, so it's not exactly cheap. Here is a pic of the DynoJet switch. I don't like how the wire just sticks straight out the back...

post-23306-0-45803800-1329297724.jpg

Reading through the instructions I found that ANY momentary switch can be used, so I went searching the web. What I found was this -

post-23306-0-09168600-1329297134.jpg

http://www.sierra-mc...?prod=AR-HM-PTT

Price including shipping was only $32.68 so I figured why not try it. It mounts easily, although I did drill a new locating hole in my handlbar for the stock switch assy to make a little room for this. The wire bends easily where it exits the switch and I routed it with the other switch wiring. I just cut off the connector that came with it and connected the wires to the PCV

So, I'm not done hooking it all up yet, but it should work. Pics when I'm done...

Thoughts??? Comments???

• Member Contributer

I thought the quickshifter was activated by using a pressure switch mounted inside the shift lever mechanism? Having to push a button to quickshift kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the quickshifter only works with the PCIII.

From the website:

Bundling with Power Commander

Each Dynojet Quick Shifter Kit includes instructions and software that activates your Quick Shifter through your Power Commander III USB.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/quickshifter/powercommander_quick_shifter.aspx

• Member Contributer

I thought the quickshifter was activated by using a pressure switch mounted inside the shift lever mechanism? Having to push a button to quickshift kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

The pressure switch and the linear switch are the two other ways of using the Quick Shift feature. The problem for me is that they cost $200-$300 and I'm not that serious about it... I just want to play with it, so under 35 bucks works good for me. Here is how the handlebar switch works, according to Dynojet -

"To use this type of switch, the rider must first slightly pre load the shift lever, press the handlebar mounted switch, and then complete the shifter movement."

This doesn't defeat the purpose, which is to make very quick full throttle shifts without using the clutch.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the quickshifter only works with the PCIII.

From the website:

Bundling with Power Commander

Each Dynojet Quick Shifter Kit includes instructions and software that activates your Quick Shifter through your Power Commander III USB.

http://www.powercomm...ck_shifter.aspx

My PCV has two inputs labeled "Shifter". Here is what the installation manual says about them -

"Shifter - These inputs are for use with the Dynojet quickshifter. Insert the wires from the Dynojet quickshifter into the SHIFTER inputs. The polarity of the wires is not important"

I am pretty sure that this will work because I emailed Dynojet about doing this. They state that you can use ANY single throw, single pole switch. The quick shifter is momentary, the Fuel Injection map switch is a toggle. Here is the relevant part of their reply...

"The PC5 for the VFR800 uses part number: 16-005.

To switch maps or trigger a kill, you can use any single throw, single pole switch wired to the 2 switch inputs on top of the PC5 module ( 1 for map toggle, 1 for shift kill trigger)."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, I got my Power Commander V installed and everything set up. I installed the handlebar switch and it works great! If you have a PCV and want a cheap way to play with the Quick Shift feature this switch is a good way to go.

post-23306-0-05377300-1330421099.jpg

• Member Contributer

Gave the quickshifter a good test this weekend. For performance it's nice to have full throttle clutchless shifts that only take 250 milliseconds each :)

The other benefit that I found is when carrying a passenger and accelerating moderately, the quickshifter allows me to not loose momentum which can occasionally cause the passenger helmet to hit the back of my helmet. It's so smooth shifting, my wife likes it :)

• Member Contributer

I've done the 'flashing the clutch' shifting before and it does work but it can smoke your clutch and fouls your oil. The difference is that when you flash the clutch at full throttle and high RPM you're punishing the clutch and pressure plates, probably over-revving, and the shifts aren't as consistant. Press the button and the fuel injection is cut for 250 milliseconds for quick, consistant shifts with no drama. Oh, and it sounds awesome, like a formula 1 car :)

Glad it works for ya'........... Just saying I've had 4 bikes I put 100k miles each and never needed to fix my clutches........... but I don't do a lot of high rpm shifting, so that may have something to do with it.

looks like a good little mod there, I still like the linier one attached to the gear lever though, but yes its very costly.

Full throttle upshifts are a lot of fun, sure do love them on my bimmer :squid: