Automotive thermostat replacement for VFR800???

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

The tstats on ST1300's seem to fail with great regularity too...

Had to replace one in my '03. At least they were easier to get to than the VFR

That's what I've heard...I need to do mine. Only registering one "bar" on the temp gauge during cold rides in the forties. Two "bars" when 60's-50's. Although Honda service manual says anywhere in the gauge's range is within normal, the guys on the ST-owners site say anything less than three "bars" and your tstat is stuck open...

Sorry for the hijack...

The tstats on ST1300's seem to fail with great regularity too...

Had to replace one in my '03. At least they were easier to get to than the VFR

That's what I've heard...I need to do mine. Only registering one "bar" on the temp gauge during cold rides in the forties. Two "bars" when 60's-50's. Although Honda service manual says anywhere in the gauge's range is within normal, the guys on the ST-owners site say anything less than three "bars" and your tstat is stuck open...

Sorry for the hijack...

Been several years since I sold the ST, but I think I dropped the radiator out of the front. The T-stat is right behind there. Double-check that with your FSM and the forum as my brain has likely forgotten some details.

• 1 year later...

I'll add a few tid bits. Sadly, they're not details on what non-Honda thermostat to buy.

The Honda part number for the thermostat is: 19300-MBG-003 $25.76

The O-Ring you really should get with it is part number: 91311-MCP-901 $1.59

Both parts can be seen on this Fiche from Ron Ayers: http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/7049/Model/VFR800A/GroupID/304562/Group/WATER_PIPE

My T-stat is acting up, so I'll be looking for a replacement. If time permits, I'll take it to the local parts store and see if I can find a auto t-stat that will work. I'll update.

I beg to differ but the o-ring reference is right (size of o-ring ok) but the Price is for the o-rings for the wáter joints on the LHS of the engine, which are way smaller in diameter. The o-ring that seals the thermostat housing is the following for the 2002-on vfr800:

91311-MCP-901 O-RING (47.5X2) $4.89

Which by the way happens to be identical to the 5th gen equivalent which only costs 25% of the 6th gen one...

91311-KE8-000 O-RING (47.5X2) $1.27

Prices at Ron Ayres... very similar to Service Honda.

This means you took note of the wrong Price but weren't far off as the o-ring can actually be purchased for less by ordering the 5th gen one.

What matters is the size.. at least that's what the girl who served me said... ;)

• Member Contributer

And if you find an o-ring supplier like (Polymax in the UK), you can just order a pack of 48x2 o-rings for a lot less, too. Not the exact size, but it's just an o-ring...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

19300-MBG-003 THERMOSTAT ASSY. $22.63 1
91311-MCP-901 O-RING (47.5X2) $ 4.42 1

Partzilla.com

And I think the Honda Civic does cross reference ..

And I found this on VFR World .

mid 90's 2.2l chevy cavalier will also fit

• Member Contributer

On Rockauto.com

$5.20

GATES Part # 33429S More Info {#531090, 61979} Premium; 195º Superstat (1 23/32" x 29/32" x 29/32") One of our most popular parts

Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Mexican Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. 195 Degree; OE Temperature

$5.20

19300-MBG-003 THERMOSTAT ASSY. $22.63 1
91311-MCP-901 O-RING (47.5X2) $ 4.42 1

Partzilla.com

And I think the Honda Civic does cross reference ..

And I found this on VFR World .

mid 90's 2.2l chevy cavalier will also fit

• Member Contributer

The last time I looked into this topic around ten years ago, there were no aftermarket thermostats that were identical to the OEM thermostat. Close enough, perhaps, but not identical. Stant 29788 was the impostor-of-choice at that time. But I compared an OEM 'stat with that one in Pep Boys and they were not very close. Doesn't the OEM have the opening offset from center? And I think it has a bleed hole (w/jiggler)?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

$(KGrHqF,!rUF!dFGoEG2BQN,Hplbiw~~_35.JPG

This is a pic of the GATES Part # 33429S. If I remember correctly you have to turn the t-stat for the bottom to line up with the housing .

So offset yes but people have use it .

• Member Contributer

$(KGrHqF,!rUF!dFGoEG2BQN,Hplbiw~~_35.JPG

This is a pic of the GATES Part # 33429S. If I remember correctly you have to turn the t-stat for the bottom to line up with the housing .

So offset yes but people have use it .

But this part doesn't have the check valve at the bottom to speed the warm up of a cold engine...

Archived