1 year later (a review)

ZenMoto

smugshot3592173-M.jpg

Ok, so January 23rd marked the 1 year anniversary of me buying the VFR1200, something I was thinking about Sunday as I was navigating the rippled, torn up, gritty, off-camber, crap-shoot that is Deer Creek Rd..

In that year I have managed a paltry 12,000 miles (give or a take a couple hundred) due to various family obligations, etc..

While I was riding around I started to think about the trap I always get myself into with vehicles. I use them for a while, then something shiny and new comes along, and I find myself thinking "That would be so much cooler / better / more fun than what I have!" It got me to switch from my trusty Tacoma to the FJ Cruiser (which I still love, but am not IN

love with ...really need a pickup). And it happened with several bikes I've owned.

...granted, some, like the KTM for good reason, it really did kill my lower back to ride more than a couple hours at a time (unless it was off road, with a lot of standing). In truth, most of the "I gotta have it" that I've experienced stemmed from a real need or deficiency in my current conveyance; the Magna just wasn't sporty enough anymore, the XR400 was terrible in the sand ...which the desert is full of, etc..

So while I was out and about on the VFR, I started wondering, what will replace the VFR when the time comes? ...what could a bike offer that would make me want to give up the VFR and go with something else?

...and the answer I kept coming up with was ...nothing!

smugshot7069562-M.jpg

Granted, my VFR is MUCH improved from stock; it had SERIOUS issues from the factory, many of which are killing it on sales floors around the globe. So here is my list of complaints / criticisms as it came from the factory, as well as the solutions (if any):

Fuel Range - If I ride in a sporty fashion I'm on the blinking light at 110 miles (but now know I have at least 30 miles until I NEED gas).

If I baby it, I can get 46 mpg which gets me over 200 miles on a tank ...but I can't ever seem to baby it that much for a whole tank. ...perhaps on a trip up the coast, at night ...in the fog!

On the 2012 they've squeezed 0.4 gallons more into the space ...not much, but it helps.

***I've learned to live with it. ...the Magna had worse range, and it never killed me, but it would be an issue should I ever get the chance to do another cross country trip!

Fuel Gauge - Ok, WTF Honda!!! Very consistently, I will go 48 - 54 miles with before the 1st (of 7) bars on the gauge drops off.

I will lose a bar every 10 miles after that until I'm blinking on empty (the final bar) at around 110 - 115 miles. Is it really THAT hard to make a reasonably accurate gas gauge???

***not a big deal, just freakin' ANNOYING!!!

Power deliver / 1st & 2nd gear restriction - If you look at this photo you will see how HORRIBLE the power delivery is in 1st gear from the factory (RED LINES are OEM POWER AND TORQUE):

VFR1200-stock-vs-Z-Bomb-1st-L.jpg

...and here is 2nd gear, again RED lines are what you are looking at:

VFR1200-stock-vs-Z-Bomb-2nd-L.jpg

***If you looked at the BLACK lines, you'll see how the Bazzaz Z-Bomb improves performance

The Z-Bomb is just a plug in version of a known wiring harness hack, which fools the ECU into thinking you're in 3rd for 1st & 2nd. The down side is, your dashboard displays 3rd from 1st - 3rd, ...I'm waaaay over caring about the dash display, the bike

is SO much better like this.

I'd LOVE to hear someone who knows (from Honda) explain why they felt like fucking up the bike this badly; it REALLY is THAT bad stock!!! ...bad enough I was having buyers remorse until it was fixed!!!

Suspension - Well, what can I say, I'm a fat guy (and bigger than average when I'm in shape), so it's hard to judge suspension fairly.

That said, on a $16,000 bike, it's criminal that Honda puts better suspension on their $10k sportbikes than on their flagship techno-tour de force.

From the factory the settings all had to be zeroed and slowly dialed in (normal), but nothing, and I mean NOTHING could make the rear feel good (remember, I'm 225#, so this isn't shocking). There is only preload and rebound damping front and rear, and that's too damned bad!!! On the rear, with the sag set correctly (preload) you only had rebound left to play with.

Dial in more rebound damping and the ride gets brutally harsh and feels disconnected from the pavement.

Dial in less rebound and suddenly you're riding on a pogo stick, just bouncing your way down the road; ...very unsettling. The rear was so bad it was impossible to draw a conclusion about the front!

***I spent $1000 of my former KTM on an Ohlins shock! It's still not perfect, and I still need to play with it more, but night and day better!!!

I was able to dial the front in to a very usable setting after getting the rear to settle down, which makes me very, very happy.

Even though it's still not 100% dialed in, I can now ride the bike as hard as my sight lines will allow, and feel confident in the process; impossible with the stock shock!

No center stand? - I thought this would be and issue ...until I thought about it!

Honda wants something like $250 to add a factory center stand, PitBull wanted $150 for a rear stand that works in the OEM bracket.

***PitBull for the win!!! I have their rear and front stands for the VFR for little more than the center stand would have cost. ...it's not like I'm servicing a chain on the road!!!

Black paint on the tank - A minor quibble, but the day I brought the VFR home I noticed that the black section of the tank was already rashed up pretty good from just a quick spin in the Santa Monica Mts..

The black paint is very soft, and black shows scratches badly! I didn't want to wear through the paint on the tank like a buddy did on his matte black Speed Triple.

***TheTankSlapper.biz to the rescue. For $30 I got a 3M tank protector kit from them that is nearly invisible and super tough.

It took some patience to install, but it has proven worth while, and when it starts to wear out, I will install another set ASAP.

BEST $30 I've spent on the bike!!!

Buzziness - This is a me thing, I think. Every VFR I've owned (4th & 5th gen) have made my throttle hand fall asleep; this one is no different.

Exacerbated by the displacement, no doubt, it would make my hand fall asleep almost instantly on the slab (not good).

***Throttle Rocker, Throttlemeister bar ends, and gel grips have all been employed in an attempt to curb this, as well as some hokey "tuned resonance in-bar dampers" which don't do shit. The result is somewhat less vibration, possibly at a different RPM range that make the bike much more user friendly for me.

My hands still eventually go to sleep on the slab, but now I can lock the throttle and give my hand a rest, and it's not as severe to begin with!

Bar reach - Riding a friend's 6th gen VFR back to back with my 1200 confirms that the reach to the bars is just a little more aggressive than previous VFRs, and I notice it.

At first my neck bothered me, but now I'm used to it. ...now it's just that my wrists get fatigued a bit after a day of riding.

***This could be as much due to my flabby core as the reach, but I'm willing to shed pounds more quickly than I'm willing to spend $350 on bar risers!

...I may try Heli-bars in the future, but for now, it's just not worth the $$$ for a 3/8" increase in height.

Tires - Not surprisingly, the OEM tires are CRAP!

***Pilot Road 3 ...'nuff said! These tires are the shizzle! ...that's right, I just said SHIZZLE!!!

Luggage - It's small, but expensive! ...but I really like it. I don't pack heavy on long trips, so there's plenty of room in the 3 bags, and I got them thrown in for a decent price.

The left bag will let significant water in if left sitting on the side stand out in the rain. ...not sure if it gets in when in motion, but it definitely gets in while sitting (so use a WP bag when packing)

Most size large and smaller helmets will fit in the trunk, no helmet (maybe a half shell) will fit in the side bags.

***I love the mounting system and locks, and the look great on the bike. I've wired and SAE power adapter to the bottom of the trunk, so my phone etc. can be charging while I'm out and about.

So that's my "As honest and thorough as I can be!" assessment of the

V12's negatives.

smugshot8112855-M.jpg

As for the positives, I'll just run through them quickly:

Power - Pure awesomesauce! Now that the 1-2 thing is fixed, the bike is sheer joy to ride at any speed, on any surface. She pulls like a freight train and will allow you to unleash the hooligan inside on a whim!

Comfort - Seats are highly personal, I've never had an OEM seat that didn't kill me ...until now! I can do canyons, literally, ALL day on this seat. On the slab though, 3-4 hours start hurting (not bad for OEM).

Wind Protection - Without any of the overpriced OEM add-ons, it puts the wind right where you want it (for my 6' frame anyway), and I get NONE of the heat on my feet of previous VFRs.

Fit and finish - Simply stunning. Not only does it look fantastic, but it's the easiest VFR to take apart for basic service yet. ...I'll know more about valve service this spring!

Maintenance - Speaking of... No chain! The shaft not only feels like a well adjusted chain (very, very little noticeable lash) but it's super easy to change the oil (and the service interval is WIDE, though I change it more frequently than required, since it's so easy).

Handling - Have I mentioned, that with the new shock, I can ride the piss out of this thing??? It easily handles as well as my 4th gen VFR (which had Fox shock and Race Tech front and stands as the best handling bike I've ever owned). ...that is some feat for a bike that weighs nearly 200# more.

...you seriously don't feel the weight, and the bike only feels big after climbing off, and onto say ...a Superhawk or older VFR! lol ...once moving, forget it though, pure heaven!!!

Brakes - Dear Lord! ...a bike this heavy shouldn't be able to stop this fast, but it does, and it has ABS too!

Bazzaz - Not only did they fix the 1st and 2nd gear BS from Honda, but they gave it the full fuel management system, complete with bar switchable mapping (why? ...who cares!)

They also gave it traction control, again, complete with a bar mounted dial with settings from off to very aggressive control. Did I mention the quick shift? ...I don't use it all the time, but sometimes, it's SO much fun to blast up to 135 mph without ever letting off the throttle! :wink:

Akropovic - Very, very nice exhaust. Limited choices due to having the luggage (everyone makes a "hi-mount" system, that is incompatible with the factory bags) but Akro offers both, and it sounds amazing with the baffle out (the way I run it). ...not annoyingly loud, but sounds great!

Grin Factor - Possibly the most important feature of any motorcycle!

Grin factor is that thing that gets you out of the house at zero-dark:30

It is what makes you decide to take Piuma - Schuerin - Saddle Peak - Tuna Cyn. - PCH to get to Malibu Market from the Mulholland / Malibu Cyn. intersection!

It's why you make excuses not to take the cage to work ...even when it's cold and wet out.

This bike has Grin Factor in it's blood. When I get on the VFR I find myself thinking things like "Should I run to the beach, or head up to Morro Bay ...I've got a couple hours!!!"

In the past year, there hasn't been a time I've gone out on the VFR and not come home to say "God I love that BIKE!!!". ...true story!!!

If this one were to die and untimely death, or when it just plain wears out (which, with my lowish mileage of late, should take a long, long time) I don't think there's another bike that I would want. ...this is it.

For me, the VFR, as it currently stands, is pretty damned close to the perfect bike!!! Could it use more range, sure. Could I use a custom seat for long days, sure. Do I wish it were less buzzy on the fwy, yeah, but not enough to get an inline 4.

If I had to buy a new bike tomorrow, I'd go get another VFR1200F; that's as high an endorsement as I can give a bike today! :cool:

...so that's it. My year in review from the seat of a 2010 VFR1200F. No punches pulled, and I don't think I missed anyting!

1215793076_PrR2b-L.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice user report and great pictures. :tour:

Tell me Zen, you do the maintenance yerself? :tongue:

I'm actually waffling back and forth on whether or not to make the phone call to the dealer this morning on the 1200 I have been looking at. I have soooo much fun on my 6th gen that I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. This post may have pushed me in that direction. Alot to be said when after 12k miles and a year you still would not only keep the bike, but buy another of the same.

Thanks for posting!!

Cam

Fuel Gauge - Ok, WTF Honda!!! Very consistently, I will go 48 - 54 miles with before the 1st (of 7) bars on the gauge drops off.

I will lose a bar every 10 miles after that until I'm blinking on empty (the final bar) at around 110 - 115 miles. Is it really THAT hard to make a reasonably accurate gas gauge???

I just imagine there is a virtual buffer in the fuel gauge. The first three bars are hidden.

Something like this.

post-19586-0-44009500-1328203199.jpg

I just imagine there is a virtual buffer in the fuel gauge. The first three bars are hidden.

Something like this.

Haha ...that must be the problem! ...the Honda engineers forgot to show the extra 3 bars!!! lol

Nice user report and great pictures. :tour:

Tell me Zen, you do the maintenance yerself? :tongue:

Can't tell for sure if you're joking ...but yes, I do all my own maintenance. I'm guessing the valves will be MUCH easier than on my 5th gen ...hell, just getting the tank up out of the way is WAY easier than the 5th gen.

When the time comes (this spring, for sure) I'll just pull the forks and radiator off (makes life so much easier, and kinda' urges me to service them (as they should be) at the same time.

Something like this.

The top of the tank holds more fuel than the base. I a way you are right.

Something like this.

The top of the tank holds more fuel than the base. I a way you are right.

I know, ...but so do the engineers at Honda. ...you'd think, knowing the volume at every level in the tank (this is all done in 3D cad these days, it's really as easy as clicking a button), they should be able to make a graduated scale that provides a remotely accurate fuel gauge!

...I'm astonished as the 1200 is the first bike I've ever owned that had an accurate speedo (mine is within 1mph at 80) ...but the fuel gauge is wonky! lol

Good write-up, echoes a lot of my feelings about my VFR1200. This one in particular: I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I've owned plenty of sportbikes which I got bored of, but I don't think I could replace this one. I can see myself still enjoying it in 20 years, when my kids are grown.

One thing I'll disagree with you on: Helibars ARE worth it. It's not the 3/4 inch rise, but the 2 inch pull-back that makes all the difference. Get yourself a set now, thank me later.

Good write-up, echoes a lot of my feelings about my VFR1200. This one in particular: I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I've owned plenty of sportbikes which I got bored of, but I don't think I could replace this one. I can see myself still enjoying it in 20 years, when my kids are grown.

One thing I'll disagree with you on: Helibars ARE worth it. It's not the 3/4 inch rise, but the 2 inch pull-back that makes all the difference. Get yourself a set now, thank me later.

I absolutely agree with Phobe.

• 2 weeks later...

BZAZ, Akra, Heli Bars, and a some carbon fiber parts and my beast will be finished. I will have had mine for 1 year in March and and just shy of 7K miles. Despite it's shortcomings, I LOVE MY VFR. It's fast as shit, beautiful as a supermodel, and NOBODY ELSE HAS ONE. ( at least they aren't everywhere )

I've never seen any sportbike that has anywhere near the fit and finish of this bike.

• Member Contributer

Great recap, thanks for posting. Don't feel bad about the 12K, my 1200 has just under 13000 miles and was purchased 21 months ago. Of course I don't live in SoCal...

I will get the Heli bars next month, put them on my 6th gen right away and loved them.

Not many mods on mine yet but I think you've convinced me on the Bazaz, the graphs really tell the story. The only thing I'd add is the "If I can only have one bike" comment....sportbike, tourer, rocketship, it does it all except motocross. Nothing like connecting 150bhp to your right wrist!

And finally, thank you to the poster who reminded me two years ago to make sure the dealer DOES NOT mount the OEM reflectors on the bags! Much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Nice review, Zen. I still think it's ugly. I still love my 6th. But, I certainly appreciate the 1200 more now that you have made this offering. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I want one, but I still need a bigger tank, I'm a 210mile round trip run for work everyday. My 07 will make it easily, I just fill up in the morning on my way out. Have to get gas in the morning than stopping halfway home to fill up again is something I can't see doing.

Great story! It reminds me alot of my self with past Bikes, Trucks and other Vehicles! I have had many

of bikes in my life..50+ or more and 4 VFRs since the first of them and I can say my 2010 VFR1200F

is my favorate so far. Question? Did you guys get your Heli Bars from dealer or after market and what should the rear trunk and mount cost? I have the side hard bags, and thik they look great on or off!!

This Bike is Bilt like a Race Horse, All you have to due is get on it and Ride!..............The Capt.

• Member Contributer

"Luggage - It's small, but expensive! ...but I really like it. I don't pack heavy on long trips, so there's plenty of room in the 3 bags, and I got them thrown in for a decent price.

The left bag will let significant water in if left sitting on the side stand out in the rain. ...not sure if it gets in when in motion, but it definitely gets in while sitting (so use a WP bag when packing)

Most size large and smaller helmets will fit in the trunk, no helmet (maybe a half shell) will fit in the side bags.

***I love the mounting system and locks, and the look great on the bike. I've wired and SAE power adapter to the bottom of the trunk, so my phone etc. can be charging while I'm out and about."

Okay, but I'm used to getting my Shark RSR2 in my side case on my 6th gen. Very handy when I stop at the gym after work as it doesn't fit in the locker. I don't need a 'wing, but I'd like to have as much storage as I have now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for this 'fair and balanced' review. Combined with the motorcycle urges I get each spring, you have persuaded me to look into trading up.

• 1 month later...

A quick question regarding "heat on my feet" that you mentioned in your review...

The last few days the weather has been warming up to about 70-75 and I've noticed quite a blast of hot air on my ankles, specifically on the left side. I'm kind of surprised that it would be on the left as the exhaust is on the other side. Has anyone else noticed this? I had my feet tucked in tight against the ankle guards and ended up having to move my foot away from the bike because it was so hot. I probably wouldn't have noticed but I remembered this review and wondered if anyone else noticed it.

• 9 months later...

HI : I bought a new leftover 2010 VFR1200F last May 2012. I am fortunate enough to have a bunch of bikes, but I kept "Old Yeller" - my 2000 VFR800 - just in case. I have 6000 miles on 7th Gen - and I have to say that ZenMoto has written a FANTASTIC review here which accurately details the issues with this bike. My bike is still stock because I wanted to experience the bike untouched for a year before I start messing with it. I flew to Nashville to pick her up, rode the Devils Triangle, Dragon, CherohaIa Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way back to NY; I have experienced ALL these issues descibed by ZENMOTO, and like him, I STILL LOVE THIS BIKE. I have not done the Z-Bomb yet, but I will this spring. As ZenMoto has said - the 1st and 2nd Gear stock Power Limiters really are bad - ESPECIALLY ON VERY TWISTY tight roads like the Dragon with luggage. The stock 1st and 2nd gears with Power Limitations can be choppy at best, and dangerous at worst. At the Apex, due to the lack power in 1st and 2nd Gear, the bike wants to tip in, it almost feel like Falling Inward - because power is being limited exactly when more power is needed. Without the Z-Bomb, you need to downshift carefully into 1st gear to keep the revs up, which results in a choppy riding experience. This prevents you from getting into a fluid rhythm. Of course, in stock form, this big VFR devours and loves Big Sweepers like the CherohaIa Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway. I am 56 years old, so the HeliBars probably will get done too. I am 165 lbs, so the suspension has not been an issue for me. I have had the same fuel consumption and fuel gauge problems/experience as ZenMoto; I was in disbelief when the fuel gauge initially did not go down - and then it starts to drop with every twist of the throttle. In spirited riding - after complete tank top off - the Reserve light can come on at 106 miles!! Again, thanks to ZenMoto for the Dyno charts and great write-up.

• 4 months later...

HI : I bought a new leftover 2010 VFR1200F last May 2012. I am fortunate enough to have a bunch of bikes, but I kept "Old Yeller" - my 2000 VFR800 - just in case. I have 6000 miles on 7th Gen - and I have to say that ZenMoto has written a FANTASTIC review here which accurately details the issues with this bike. My bike is still stock because I wanted to experience the bike untouched for a year before I start messing with it. I flew to Nashville to pick her up, rode the Devils Triangle, Dragon, CherohaIa Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way back to NY; I have experienced ALL these issues descibed by ZENMOTO, and like him, I STILL LOVE THIS BIKE. I have not done the Z-Bomb yet, but I will this spring. As ZenMoto has said - the 1st and 2nd Gear stock Power Limiters really are bad - ESPECIALLY ON VERY TWISTY tight roads like the Dragon with luggage. The stock 1st and 2nd gears with Power Limitations can be choppy at best, and dangerous at worst. At the Apex, due to the lack power in 1st and 2nd Gear, the bike wants to tip in, it almost feel like Falling Inward - because power is being limited exactly when more power is needed. Without the Z-Bomb, you need to downshift carefully into 1st gear to keep the revs up, which results in a choppy riding experience. This prevents you from getting into a fluid rhythm. Of course, in stock form, this big VFR devours and loves Big Sweepers like the CherohaIa Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway. I am 56 years old, so the HeliBars probably will get done too. I am 165 lbs, so the suspension has not been an issue for me. I have had the same fuel consumption and fuel gauge problems/experience as ZenMoto; I was in disbelief when the fuel gauge initially did not go down - and then it starts to drop with every twist of the throttle. In spirited riding - after complete tank top off - the Reserve light can come on at 106 miles!! Again, thanks to ZenMoto for the Dyno charts and great write-up.

Im also looking for a leftover and was hesitant to purchase out of state that I can't / refuse to drive to, sight unseen reasons and the trek back if it didnt pan out... but between you and Zens write up..got my willingness to possibly go forward with a more than 2 states away purchase

did you go down to check out the bike and negotiate there.. or was everything done remotely... please post your experience with the purchase

Zen.. again great write up

Great review of the 1200.

I have three questions:

1. Coming off a chain drive, how's the shaft drive feel?

2. Honda made quite a fuss over the quality of the paint on this bike. How hard would it be for a typical body shop to match the quality of the paint?

3. Of the model years, what is the differences between the burgandy, first years and the blue and this year's black models, I'm mainly interested in the electronic limitations etc. I know the upped the tank size a smidge on the newer ones.

I've been checking out a couple of blue models even though I still love my 2004 and haven't seen a black one in the show rooms yet. Very rare to see a 1200 here in the Pacific Northwest.

• Member Contributer

Great review of the 1200.

I have three questions:

1. Coming off a chain drive, how's the shaft drive feel?

2. Honda made quite a fuss over the quality of the paint on this bike. How hard would it be for a typical body shop to match the quality of the paint?

3. Of the model years, what is the differences between the burgandy, first years and the blue and this year's black models, I'm mainly interested in the electronic limitations etc. I know the upped the tank size a smidge on the newer ones.

I've been checking out a couple of blue models even though I still love my 2004 and haven't seen a black one in the show rooms yet. Very rare to see a 1200 here in the Pacific Northwest.

1- Shaft (to me) feels very similar to a chain drive on this machine. Virtually no shaft-jack thanks to the geometry. Much cleaner, virtually silent and very little driveline slack.

2- The paint is SOFT on these bikes. I'd say a shop would be able to match fairly well, there's a few owners who have color-keyed various parts of the bike and they look spot-on. It does scratch VERY easily. Get protective bits asap for where your body touches... don't ask me how I know.

3- 2012's have traction control and smoother fueling than the 2010's... Also, the seats on the '12's and '13's has considerably more "friction" as slipping about was a bit of an issue on the 2012.

Hope that helps.

Archived