Jump to content
Renevator

Front end conversion - was yours worth it ??

Recommended Posts

I got to sit on Mini-Carvers 5th/6th Gen at the last Summer Summit in South Dakota. (Yeah, he offered to let me ride it but he's about a foot taller and the bike is definitely set up for him). Super well thought out and executed. He showed me the cast-in boss on the Fifth Gen engine that he bolted the VTEC solenoid to-like Honda knew someone was going to do this swap. A RWB 6th Gen WITH cam gear whine AND dual Staintunes!?  Outstanding. If I win the lottery...  Oh, his dad rides a 6th Gen WITH a TORO Charger, yes quite the team.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mello dude said:

 

Hey MiniCarver --- I think you may have the near ultimate VFR there with the 6th based and 5th engine plus 8th wheels and monoblocks.. 

>>>>Wow, just frick'n WOW! --- If I get your way, I would love to see it in person. 

 

You Carvers blow me away.. :beer:

 

 

 

If you get my way I'll let you ride it lol. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, MiniCarver said:

If you get my way I'll let you ride it lol. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

 

 

What's the go with retaining the VTEC solenoid? To "fool" the existing ECU into believing it's still "driving" a 6th-Gen engine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, EX-XX said:

 

What's the go with retaining the VTEC solenoid? To "fool" the existing ECU into believing it's still "driving" a 6th-Gen engine?

When trying to figure out how to fool the 6th gen ECU and trying to check resistances to see if I could jumper it or eliminate it completely, I actually found that the v-tec solenoid valve plugs in to the wiring harness as a single blade powered wire, and to complete the circuit, the solenoid valve itself is grounded to the top of the engine block, inside the V underneath the thermostat housing. so I removed the solenoid valve from a donor 2002 engine and bolted it to the outside of the frame just above one of the engine mounts and ran the wire through the opening for the coolant line and it works perfectly.

We actually did a track day after I finished the build and I mounted a gopro on the lower right hand fairing and the recorded video picked up the solenoid valve "clicking" attempting to engage v-tec every time I got up to the engagement rpm range. little does my 2002 ECU know, my 5th gen engine has v-tec engaged at all times 😈 lol

2140797517.png

1319898807.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now that 8th gen parts are becoming more and more available via ebay. I was able to do all 2014 suspension/wheel/rotors with Brembo monoblocks.
IMAG3850.thumb.jpg.a2bab332b8cb80c4aae1c20314d15e0d.jpg
IMAG3848.thumb.jpg.8772c74ff0345e4d828f6c6475d40909.jpg
IMAG3852.thumb.jpg.a21006826134be77f8f2c0df2db84ea2.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20181230140200759_COVER.thumb.jpg.a8be0d6229def43b32a715ef32ba90bd.jpg
Iiking the 8th gen forks and brakes...can you do a build thread for us? Interested in doing the same for my 6th gen and keen to know if the 6th gen fork uppers and brake master cylinders can be used...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richieg said:

Iiking the 8th gen forks and brakes...can you do a build thread for us? Interested in doing the same for my 6th gen and keen to know if the 6th gen fork uppers and brake master cylinders can be used...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
 

I'm working on a build thread but i'm working with 150 gb of data between timelapse video's and pictures so it's taking me more time than I thought. and theoretically the 6th gen master cylinder will fit on the 8th gen but i'm not sure what the difference in the bore size is between 6th and 8th gen master cylinders. I would just try to find a used 8th gen master cylinder on ebay if you don't want to cough up the extra money for a radial master cylinder. as far as the upper fork tubes, they're both 43mm tubes and the length is the same, when I had my forks rebuild by traxxion they used my 2002 fork tubes because the 8th generation fork tubes were slightly bent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richieg said:

keen to know if the 6th gen fork uppers and brake master cylinders can be used...

 

Well, the answer to this and many other questions may be found in the service manuals. Conveniently, pdfs are available right here on VFRD - goto Browse--> Downloads to get your copy.

 

Btw, according to Honda, both 6th & 8th Gen use a 14 mm master cylinder at the front, but different sizes on the rear. JZH may be able to verify these figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lorne said:

 

Well, the answer to this and many other questions may be found in the service manuals. Conveniently, pdfs are available right here on VFRD - goto Browse--> Downloads to get your copy.

 

Btw, according to Honda, both 6th & 8th Gen use a 14 mm master cylinder at the front, but different sizes on the rear. JZH may be able to verify these figures.

Yes They both use a 14mm master cylinder, but Honda did change the part number. Could be the way the new switch boxes hook up to the master cylinder for horn/brake switch. Or it could just be a different color. As far as the "answer to this can be found in the service manual" I have to disagree. These parts (to my knowledge) have never been swapped between these bikes thus far so you won't just find an answer for these conversions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The General Information sections in the front of the Honda Workshop Manuals are the most reliable specification data I know of--certainly for Honda comparison purposes.  The Workshop Manuals contain very little part number data (only for things like special tools), so you also need to have access to the Parts Manuals or microfiche (or what used to be on microfiche!), but those contain very little specifications data (other than things like o-ring and seal dimensions).

 

I don't think Lorne meant that all such questions could be answered by reference to the Honda manuals.  But some, like M/C and brake piston sizes, can be.

 

As you note, different part numbers could refer to many different things, such as paint colour, mounting tab positioning--or to completely different internal designs or incompatible fitments.  Sometimes you just have to get the parts in-hand and get out the digital calipers.  That's what I had to do to acquire my triple clamp data--thank you eBay!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, JZH said:

The General Information sections in the front of the Honda Workshop Manuals are the most reliable specification data I know of--certainly for Honda comparison purposes.  The Workshop Manuals contain very little part number data (only for things like special tools), so you also need to have access to the Parts Manuals or microfiche (or what used to be on microfiche!), but those contain very little specifications data (other than things like o-ring and seal dimensions).

 

I don't think Lorne meant that all such questions could be answered by reference to the Honda manuals.  But some, like M/C and brake piston sizes, can be.

 

As you note, different part numbers could refer to many different things, such as paint colour, mounting tab positioning--or to completely different internal designs or incompatible fitments.  Sometimes you just have to get the parts in-hand and get out the digital calipers.  That's what I had to do to acquire my triple clamp data--thank you eBay!

trial and error is exactly what I've been doing lol. I use the service manual for torque settings, but the microfiche will give me the bolt lengths and size, piston sizes, and will also tell me which parts were used on which different models/years. 

 

I literally just bought a new dogbone for my suspension on ebay just for test fitting because it was 14 bucks lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.