Front end conversion - was yours worth it ??

Renevator

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Terry said:

Not correct. The fork tubes are different diameters as you say, but the cartridges are all the same 20mm OD in all the Showa forks that I've seen. There are model-specific differences e.g. in the valve base at the bottom where the CBR has a larger diameter bolt securing it to the fork, but that valve base is still intended for the 20mm cartridge tube. If you work through the Racetech site you will probably see the same part numbers listed for Gold Valves for the different bikes as well. 

If you want to make your 5G forks externally adjustable you should get the fork caps and cartridges off the VTR1000F Superhawk/Firestorm. That cap will screw straight into the VFR fork, and you will get adjustable rebound. You are right that a F4i cap is 43mm and won't fit the 41mm VFR fork. 

Thanks Terry,

As I said, I am at kindergarten level.

So, fork caps and cartridges off the VTR1000F Superhawk/Firestorm plus an appropriate spring change, and the correct grade of oil would be a quick upgrade.

How bad/good is the quality of the OEM fork spring? I've seen posts by Jamie Daugherty where he says that the rear shock spring is appropriate for a 12lb person, and judging from the feedback on the VFR forums and the CBR1100XX forums, he really knows his stuff.

Ross

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, RossR said:

Thanks Terry,

As I said, I am at kindergarten level.

So, fork caps and cartridges off the VTR1000F Superhawk/Firestorm plus an appropriate spring change, and the correct grade of oil would be a quick upgrade.

How bad/good is the quality of the OEM fork spring? I've seen posts by Jamie Daugherty where he says that the rear shock spring is appropriate for a 12lb person, and judging from the feedback on the VFR forums and the CBR1100XX forums, he really knows his stuff.

Ross

Hi Ross

All that will get you is externally adjustable rebound damping, but all the stock setup shortcomings are still there; the VTR damper parts are identical to the VFR, just with the adjustable rebound bleed. My view is that the VFR is undersprung and overdamped as stock, which gives a harsh ride. The main culprit is the compression valve body which is overly restrictive to compensate for an overly soft spring (for less Japanese-sized riders anyway).

If money is tight then for best effect I would spend it first on a set of compression Gold Valves, then springs (something like 0.9-0.95 kg/mm seems right to me), then rebound Gold Valves, and last on the VTR adjusters. Jamie Daugherty certainly knows a thing or to and I've used his parts as an alternative to Racetech. 

Just my 2c worth. 

Terry

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

Hi Ross

All that will get you is externally adjustable rebound damping, but all the stock setup shortcomings are still there; the VTR damper parts are identical to the VFR, just with the adjustable rebound bleed. My view is that the VFR is undersprung and overdamped as stock, which gives a harsh ride. The main culprit is the compression valve body which is overly restrictive to compensate for an overly soft spring (for less Japanese-sized riders anyway).

If money is tight then for best effect I would spend it first on a set of compression Gold Valves, then springs (something like 0.9-0.95 kg/mm seems right to me), then rebound Gold Valves, and last on the VTR adjusters. Jamie Daugherty certainly knows a thing or to and I've used his parts as an alternative to Racetech. 

Just my 2c worth. 

Terry

👍👍👍

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I was searching something and came across this thread. Realized I never finished my build thread. 

to answer the question Absofuckinglutely!

2002 with 77k on the clock

08 engine and ECU with just under 7500 miles

2006 LE YZF-R1 complete front end

Sebspeed custom triple trees 

forks built by Jamie at DMr

There is an absolute ton more done to this bike but that’s the front end setup and here’s a few pics. 

8C3C6228-FC40-4A20-9514-694EE0A5908E.jpeg

0D111510-9D5A-4041-87AC-16900AC4BA19.jpeg

1DE35DCE-A38E-4DF2-9249-2F33E24880AB.jpeg

• Like 4